“DON'T EAT THE MINKE WHALE!”
Review of Grillmarkadurinn

Grillmarkadurinn
Ranked #29 of 590 Restaurants in Reykjavik
Cuisines: Seafood, Steakhouse, Scandinavian, Grill
Dining options: After-hours, Dinner, Lunch, Breakfast, Delivery, Reservations
Neighbourhood: Mioborg
Reviewed 22 December 2015

I would advise to book a table as it’s very popular!

We managed to get a couple of seats sat at the bar which looks in to the kitchen. This is actually perfect for us as we our very keen cooks ourselves and find it very enjoyable to watch a chef at work!

We absolutely LOVED this place! This is up there with any respectable London restaurant, we had a great a time and the food was absolutely awesome! I had the Game Gourmet and my girlfriend had the Fish Gourmet and we shared a Lamb starter. We were completely stuffed, the portion size was massive. Sitting at the kitchen bar, we managed to see almost all of the meals going through and I can honestly say that I would happily eat every single dish, everything looked very nice indeed!

Well done guys for the top notch restaurant! I loved it and will without question eat here again if I return to Iceland.

Note:
Just one thing that I would say is that they still have Minke whale on the menu. I went on a Whale watching tour and failed to see any whales, I know that it is currently out of season as the sexually mature whales migrate in the winter, but there should be young whales and whales that are expecting to give birth in the bay at this time of year. We learned that the these whales are hunted all year around in the bay because tourists order them in restaurants. Icelandic people DO NOT eat whale, this hunters are purely feeding the demand from tourism. I know that the problem really lies with the restaurants and they should not offer the meat, however we can reduce the demand by refraining to order. I’m no activist by any means at all, but this did make me think twice.

4  Thank christopherw718

Reviewed 22 December 2015 via mobile

We went to this restaurant after recommendation by my tour guide. I must say the food was good quality. We ordered the tasting menu and love tasty grill whale , lamb chop etc. We had the table at 9 and the last course came at 12! I was really tired and getting a little impatient as I was hungry and also been out on tour so it's a place to enjoy or just come earlier if u can! Good atmosphere too.

Reviewed 21 December 2015 via mobile

Dined here last night the food was amazing!!!! I had monk fish skewers which were delicious! The Icelandic cheeseboard was also delicious and presented lovely X

1  Thank JadeLilly_12
Reviewed 19 December 2015

This was the first evening of our holiday and we decided to try the 8 course tasting menu to give us a flavour of what Icelandic would be like. The food was fantastic, in particular the glazed cod, crispy squid and duck.

The ambience of the restaurant is great, feels very homely and the staff were very attentive and was lovely to have each meal explained to you in detail.

Overall very good value for money (for Iceland) and would certainly recommend doing the tasting course, particularly if it's your first evening and want to sample what Iceland has to offer.

Reviewed 19 December 2015 via mobile

We couldn't make a reservation as they were 'fully booked' but was told we could arrive early and get seated at the grill bar so did just that. We were a group of four and decided to all go with the tasting menu. Around the last appetizer course we noticed we were receiving the same portion size for four people as the two person couple seated next to us, and they were receiving their courses sooner than us despite arriving and ordering after us. The portion size was enough for the four of us so we didnt think to raise it as an issue. Service was ok. When the bill came we were indeed charged for four persons despite receiving the same amount of food as for two persons. We were in a rush to leave by a certain time so just paid it and left. The food itself was nice, but just because of the illogical value of paying double for the same portion size as two people, we were more than a little disappointed at the experience overall.