Hotel Holt
  • Restaurant
Hotel Fron(Reykjavik)
  • Bar/Lounge
1,179 results
All reviewsgallery restaurantart collectionjunior suitequiet streetscrambled eggs and baconresidential neighborhoodcharming hotelpublic areasbit datedminute walkquiet at nightthe main dragthe main shopping areabreakfast roomreception staffnorthern lightsblue lagoon
FilterAll languages
Reviewed 12 August 2017

I arrived very early in the morning. I was greeted warmly by the lovely woman at the front desk. I reluctantly asked if I could check-in a little earlier. This is generally frowned upon in other hotels, but she smiled and was able to accommodate me an hour later. The hotel is within easy walking distance to restaurants and shops. They also have a very nice collection of Icelandic art throughout the building. I highly recommend the Hotel Holt.

• Stayed: July 2017, travelled with friends
Reviewed 12 August 2017

I stayed here for a week in July with my 14 year old son. The hotel has a sense of quietly grand eloquence because of the vast array of original artwork throughout the public areas as well as the rooms. All staff we met were professional, efficient, very friendly and really went out of their way to be helpful. I have to admit though, I did feel a bit disappointed when we reached our room (313). It was so dreary, with everything - walls, curtains, carpets, a varying shade of brown/beige and a carpet with a few stains in it. There was no cupboard or drawer space any where - there was an open space for a closet as you entered, which consisted of a rail (no door), and that was all. Below the rail was a fully stocked mini-bar on top of which was placed the safe and a stand for a suitcase. It looked all clumsily improvised. The bathroom was immaculate albeit compact, though with lots of shelving space for washbags etc, nicely lit, nice supplies of toiletries and the walk-in shower was spacious and very good. It also had a hairdryer and shaver socket. The biggest disappointment was the TV reception. We had just 3 very grainy analogue channels, two of which were in English. OK, you don't come on vacation to watch TV but after a day of sightseeing you might want to just chill in your room watching something before going to bed (especially when you have a teenage son!), or at least catch up with a rolling news channel. After a day I thought I would just check with the reception whether the TV situation was intentional or not. In fairness the lady came straight up to our room and checked. It turned out there had been a random fault with the satellite that week which meant that some rooms had bad reception and others had the full range of several digital channels. There was nothing she could do to fix the lack of satellite TV in our room but we were so lucky that the room next door to ours (311) was empty for the duration of our stay, and without a second thought we were offered this room to switch to. What a contrast! This room was the same size as our earlier room but its decor was so much lighter and more cheerful. We still had the lack of clothes storage (I am guessing this hotel has been designed with the needs of coach parties who stay for just one night and so are happy to live out of a suitcase for one or two nights?) but we felt so much happier after the switch - helped of course by the fact that we had a properly functioning TV in our room! Don't get me wrong, we really enjoyed our stay in this hotel once we had said goodbye to that rather depressing room 313. We were very comfortable. We slept very well. The staff were so welcoming and friendly, and service was professional. Its location is perfect. It is in a very quiet street but just 5 minutes walk from the city centre. The breakfast was fine and seemed very Nordic, with a choice of hot and cold buffet items as well as cereals, yogurts, fruit etc. The cold items included cooked meats, raw fish, salad items (although the hot items were limited to scrambled eggs and bacon). The seating arrangements for breakfast could be improved though. You have no choice but to sit at large tables with 6-8 places. In the morning you really might not want to be socialising that much! I am sure with a bit of imagination the seating arrangements can have just as much capacity with a larger number of smaller tables. In all I just think that the owners need to look at this place with fresh eyes and invest in some details and updates: make sure that the TVs work; look into having somewhere to put away your clothes other than a suitcase and a rail; revisit the breakfast room; have a guide to the hotel itself in each room (we had a room service menu but that was it). It shouldn't take too much effort to have some basic information in your room to welcome you to the hotel and remind you of things like breakfast times; bar opening times; services available from the Concierge; whether there is a laundry/dry cleaning service; how the TV works (that could have sorted the problem straight away for us rather than have me take the initiative to ask!). All these things could have made this a five star review rather than 3+/4- one. However, I will give the staff the full 5 stars!

Room Tip: Avoid 313 and ask beforehand if the TV has full satellite reception in your room (it seems a bit random)
  • Stayed: July 2017, travelled with family
2  Thank JimCardiffresident
Reviewed 12 August 2017

The hotel staff and accommodations were fabulous. The Holt was right in the middle of the city which made it easy to get around. The only drawback was the fact that busses are now unable to travel to the hotel due to a new city ordinance. That meant lugging our luggage 6-7 blocks uphill from the nearest bus station and having to arrive up to 45 minutes early at the bus stop to make sure we didn't miss an excursion bus or minibus.

Stayed: August 2017, travelled with friends
Review collected in partnership with this hotel
Reviewed 12 August 2017 via mobile

The Holt Hotel was excellent, it was the perfect location within walking distance of everything. The hotel room and bathroom was spotless and in general the hotel was extremely clean. Breakfast was delicious with plenty options to choose from. The receptionist were friendly and very helpful when it came to making recommendations for booking tours etc. If you are travelling to Iceland it is definitely worth considering the Holt Hotel as a place to stay.

Stayed: April 2017, travelled as a couple
1  Thank Lisa C
Reviewed 11 August 2017

Excellent location. Walk to everything. Lovely European-like ambiance. Museum quality paintings, sculptures, furniture, oriental carpets and dark wood paneling. Outstanding front desk staff. Generous breakfast buffet. First class restaurant with select dishes and wines.

Room Tip: Room darkening curtains were very welcomed with the long daylight hours.
Stayed: August 2017, travelled with family