“Grand circle and secret lagoon”
Review of Fun Travel Tours

Glaciers and Aurora: Around Iceland in Winter
Ranked #112 of 288 Outdoor Activities in Reykjavik
More attraction details
Recommended length of visit: More than 3 hours
Owner description: Fun Travel is an independent Tour Operator and a Destination Management Company. We provide personal service and are specialized in guided tours for small groups, with an English and Danish/Norwegian speaking driver-guide. The company is a licensed travel operator by the Icelandic Tourist Board and provides travel services in Iceland, such as private day tours, scheduled escorted tours and tour packages for travel agencies and tour operators.
Useful Information: Activities for older children, Bathroom facilities
Reviewed 17 September 2015 via mobile

Our tour guide was Helena! She was very welcoming and full of knowledge about the places we visited but also left us to explore the places ourselves and did not intrude on our time. We were picked up in a minibus and made several stops, the tectonic plates at the national park, the geyser, gullfoss waterfall and the secret lagoon. We were crew visiting Iceland for a day on a cruise ship so had limited time. We were promptly picked up at 8am and dropped back at the ship at 4:30. I would highly recommend fun travel!

1  Thank Emily B
in 5 reviews
"native"
"accommodations"

Reviewed 31 July 2015 via mobile

Thank you very much to Jens the director of Fun Travel in Iceland for a wonderful 7 day tour , organised for us by Peregrine Private Tours. The tour in the middle of this month of July 2015 was so well organised and the experiences throughout our travels were spectacular. I felt my mind was being just "blown away" at almost every turn. Iceland has such stunning natural scenery.
A special thank you too for helping to load and unload my small collapsible mobility scooter and being nearby in case I needed a lift over the few extra rocky parts of the quite accessible paths to many of the attractions.
The farm stay was especially enjoyable with its surrounding surprise rich agricultural area with superb views of that volcano with the difficult name and home cooked fantastic foods.
It really was one of the most wonderful trips of my life.

MaurTee from Melbourne, Australia.

Reviewed 2 March 2015

We booked a winter week-long family tour through SE Iceland with Fun Tours. It lived up to our itinerary. Airport pick-ups and drop-offs were perfect. Having other families with young (elementary-middle school) children was fantastic. Getting to know families from England was wonderful plus the kids were a riot. We were fortunate to have a great mix of adults and young people. We traveled in a small van with three families, a total of 8 people and a driver.
Around the Reykjavik area we had a local driver, Asa, who was fantastic and personable. She read the group well and far exceeded our needs and anticipations. Leaving the area the manager of the tour, Jens, was OK. We stopped at all the requisite stops. We had enough time to explore the various waterfalls, lagoons, etc. We had a lovely glacier walk that was superb. But when we arrived at our final destination each day he was definitely "off the clock."
We had some issues. We found our Reykjavik lodging had been changed. We paid for an lovely city center hotel, Hotel Reykjavik Centrum, at twice the price. This hotel was in walking distance of all the fun things like Harpa, etc. Instead, we were moved to a very basic hotel (Klettur) farther away. This was a typical bus hotel with mediocre amenities and a breakfast with masses of people and very basic food. This wouldn't have been a major issue--except this was not what we paid for. (We stayed at Centrum our last night--off tour--and saw the huge difference.) Rooms at the Klettur were problematic--the management open our room door a several occasions because the lock didn't work, we each had one tiny (hard) towel, and a toilet paper holder that continually fell off the wall. (We are trying to reconcile the price difference with Prestige, US tour operator, who booked Fun.)
Also, during our tour out of the city we had two nights at a hotel Jens said was owned by a family member. It was a perfectly acceptable lodging but it made our routing suspicious.
For our final tour day, we had to call him about our trip to the Blue Lagoon. He claims he gave us instructions for a pick-up by another driver but no one in our group remembered hearing instructions. (Our driver on the final day to the Lagoon was terrific even tough the van seemed to have mechanical issues--we had to struggle to open the passenger door and the engine sounded terrible when idling.)
When Jens missed our last evening's dinner in the city so we had no opportunity to say good bye or address any of these issues in person.
We had a good trip-just beware. We were left with un-reconciled concerns.

1  Thank Alberta S
Fun_Travel_Iceland, Manager at Fun Travel Tours, responded to this reviewResponded 11 March 2015

We have been working as a tour operator/destination management company for several clients for many year. Our main client is PEAK Adventure Travel, the world's largest adventure travel company, and we have been serving them here in Iceland since 2009 with growing number of groups every year, from 15 in 2014 expecting more than 30 groups in 2015, indicating that we are doing something right.

Any kind of issues people might have with the tours need to be addressed directly to the travel agent selling the trip that can then take the issue directly to PEAK. That includes issues about being misinformed about accommodation places (such as being informed they would stay at Hotel Reykjavik Centrum, that was never intended to be used). We are simply not allowed to respond directly to the client in any way after the trip although we would have been able to explain this if we would have been asked sometimes during the 3 days we spent together.

However, there is just one thing I would like to comment on; the reason I missed the last evenings dinner was that I was in bed with a fever of 39° C (around 102°F), I hope people can then understand the reason why. And that was also the reason why I thought I had told them about the pick up time although it seems I did not, but anyone that has experienced high fever might know that your brain is not functioning 100% during that time.

I wish Alberta and her family all the best and again urge her to take these issues directly to the travel agent that sold her the trip and then they can take it directly to PEAK that can formally answer and clarify these un-reconciled concerns.

Regards,
Jens Olafsson, Tour Manager
Fun Travel

Reviewed 6 November 2014

We booked our private tour with Jens well in advance of arriving. He was most prompt in responding to all my questions and concerns. He offered us a nice package of transfers, North Lights and Golden Circle tour and South Coast. Our pick up at the airport was flawless and our guide Hershey was always on time and had plenty of suggestions. We saw everything we wanted to see including the Northern Lights. Hershey even brought coats and took pictures for us of the Northern Lights. He is very knowledgeable about Iceland and very excited to share his knowledge with us. Some times he was a little hard to understand, but did not mind repeating himself so that we could understand. I would highly recommend Fun Travel for your time in Iceland.

See more reviews
Reviewed 25 October 2014 via mobile

We booked a 11 days trip with Fun Travel to do a round island tour including the West fjords.

Pre-booking: (4.5 stars)
Jens is very prompt in replying to emails and queries. Even when he is touring, he will bring his laptop along to check his emails every morning. The reply, on average, is less than 48 hours. He is happy to answer questions and to make arrangements to cater to your interests.

Pricing: (4.5stars)
One of the most reasonable around. I have obtained quotation from almost all tour agency in tripadvisor. None gave me a more reasonable pricing than Jens. There was one day where we experienced gale and was unable to do a boat tour at jokullsarlon. He took initiative to offer a reduction of our tour fee. We really appreciate his honesty.

Itinerary: (4 stars)
I would say that we truly enjoyed the itinerary. South, South East and North of Iceland was great. Although Jens seldom did tours on the west fjords, he took time to find interesting places. However, I did feel that there was too much driving and too little to see at the west fjords. (We have 3 days in the west) . Maybe it was because the south was so amazing and filled with picturesque sceneries and activities. This is a personal opinion though. The west was different though. Snaefellness was quite enjoyable and scenic.

Guide: (3.5 stars- basic guiding)
Jens was both our driver and guide. He is man with few words. Before we start off our day, he would tell us briefly on the places that we would visit for the day. Before we arrive on the destination, he would again give us a brief introduction on the places. Thereafter, you would have to take initiative to ask questions. Of course, he would be glad to answer your queries. I did learn a lot about Iceland through our dinner conversation. Most of which was my questions on Iceland. So if you are talkative, curious, inquisitive and have a list of questions like me, then you would have no problem with Jens. :)

Driving: (4 stars)
Jens is a careful driver who takes notice of his environment and looks ahead of traffic. We felt safe even when he's driving the toughest road. He is familiar with the roads in Iceland. The only thing that he can improve on will be the familiarity of road with the west fjords which is understandable as he does not do this part of Iceland often. The vehicle he used is a bit old but it was comfortable and acceptable. We did not mind as the price is reasonable.

Accommodation + food (5 stars - exceed expectations)
We requested for basic accommodation with private bathrooms. Most of the places we stayed are farm stays and private apartment. All in good condition and some relatively new. The service is personalised and I would definitely recommend booking dinner with Jens. The meals are exceptionally good. To me, the additional amount that I have paid Jens to include the dinner was he most well spent and a bang for my buck.

Overall, Jens is a trustworthy person who you can trust to book your trip to Iceland with. I would definitely book with him again.

Thanks Jens!