“Great all around meal”

Matarkjallarinn - Foodcellar
Ranked #8 of 563 Restaurants in Reykjavik
Price range: USD 29 - USD 94
Description: The Food Cellar is a Grill & Cocktail bar situated in an 160 year old building in the center of Reykjavík. We like to think that Food is for your body and music is for your soul. Brasserie is the style of food, focusing on icelandic finest ingredients. The bar has good selection of fine cocktails put together by our outstanding bartenders.
Reviewed 6 April 2018

The food hear was spectacular, just like most of Iceland. The bread (or pretzel rather) that was brought to the table is hard to not fill up on. The appetizer, main dish and cinnamon bun dessert is a can't miss. The fresh fish is excellent. Great ambiance inside.

***Let me preface the service across the board in Iceland. Don't expect non stop attentive service. Tips are not given in Iceland and the service depicts that. It is not a knock on the restaurant and the servers were extremely friendly, they just don't hover around your table like they may in the US. ***

Reviewed 3 April 2018 via mobile

Came in, immediately felt this warm fussy feeling.
The hostess greeted us with a huge smile. Even though it was full and we didn’t have a reservation. We got seated right away.
Fast service.
A fish soup to die for.
Drinks really good for it to be Iceland. I still miss the variety of spirits. But I understand that booze is expensive.

But the cinnamon bun cake had me going bananas.

Reviewed 1 April 2018 via mobile

Ate there as part of a group of 6. We had made our reservations in advance on the website of the restaurant. We were late by about an hour due tk our flight delay but the staff was very accommodating . Food and cocktails were excellent and the hospitality very warm. Would highly recommend to visiting tourists.

Reviewed 27 March 2018 via mobile

My partner and I enjoyed some outstanding food here. It isn't the cheapest (but Iceland is extortionate anyway!) but it is one of the best meals we enjoyed on our holiday. The pork ribs starter and chicken main course were SO good.

The restaurant is a little dark, but the decor is stylish. Staff are friendly and efficient.

Reviewed 25 March 2018 via mobile

This restaurant is located on the ground floor or ‘one below’ and doesn’t have a view to outside. We were greeted when we arrived to restaurant and directed to our table that was definitely too small for the amount of people we had and we told that to waiter.

It seems that waiters and waitresses are quite young and inexperienced. Restaurant staff seemed to be extremely busy all the the time and they made some mistakes while taking the order and serving. I hope staff would focus a bit more what they are doing even during the busy times.

Scallops I ordered were served in sauce that was a bit too bitter for for my taste. Arctic char as a main course was well prepared although it had a bit too much oil in it. Cinnamon bun cake was delicious dessert.

Would I go there again? Maybe. I’d like to believe that service is better when the restaurant is not full.