All reviews reykjavik roasters eco friendly hotel four poster bed sheep skin booked a superior double room eco friendly products eco friendliness organic breakfast beautiful hotel lovely toiletries interesting decor crispy bacon bath products per person per day complimentary tea and coffee lobby area is happy hour
Reviewed 14 June 2018

The Eyja Guldsmeden was chosen for us by our tour company, and it turned out to be wonderful: our room was comfortable and impeccably clean, if a little small; the buffet breakfast was terrific (fresh fruit, yogurt, cured salmon, very good bread and pastries, eggs, granola, excellent coffee); and, the staff were outstanding (extremely helpful, friendly, and accommodating). The hotel is a 15-minute walk to the center of town, through a somewhat dingy neighborhood. But, the trade-off is that the place is quiet. Over all, an excellent choice if you don't want or need to be right in the middle of things.

• Stayed: June 2018, travelled as a couple
1  Thank edg
Reviewed 4 June 2018

This was our second Guldsmeden stay (Copenhagen was the other) - love the chain. Beautiful hotels with interesting decor and lovely staff. The Eyja is nice because it's very close to the action without being right in the middle of the noise and crowds. Perfect. The breakfast buffet is delicious, though like everything in Iceland, on the expensive side. (No more expensive than anything else, though, and it's all you can eat! The bread is WONDERFUL!) Rooms are spacious and clean and very modern. Love the bath products. Easy walk to and through the center of town.

• Stayed: August 2017, travelled with family
Reviewed 27 May 2018

My partner and I stayed here earlier in the year for my 30th birthday.

The room we stayed in was lovely - we loved the four poster bed, a reasonably sized room. It was also very clean and generally felt luxurious. The bed was very comfortable. The bathroom products smelt amazing - wish we could have bought some but they were a little pricey (as are most things in Iceland). Overall the hotel was very quiet and peaceful. The hotel is located a bit further out, but within walking distance to all amenities.

My partner had emailed the hotel before we arrived and told them the date of my birthday. On the day we came back after a day of sightseeing and were surprised by a bottle of prosecco in the room, free of charge - a lovely touch!

A few things that we wish we had known...
There was no kettle or facilities to make tea and coffee in the bedroom. The hotel does provide free tea and coffee in the main restaurant area which means you have to go down to get your drinks and take them back up to the room. The tea/coffee cups also have no handles - they look lovely and very stylish but having filled them up with hot tea or coffee, became a bit difficult to carry all the way back to our rooms without burning our hands.
There was no safe in the room - bit of pain as we had exchanged money to take over and didn't want to carry out with us every day.
There was no bath in the bathroom. I can understand this given the hotel is an eco-friendly hotel, however after a cold day sightseeing it would have been wonderful to sink into a hot bath!

• Stayed: January 2018, travelled as a couple
1  Thank SueT2244
Reviewed 19 May 2018

One of the better hotels I have stayed in. The staff are polite and often smiling. The buffet breakfast is rather good (I am spoilt living in Norway as we think Norway has the best hotel breakfast in Europe). If you are aware that costs in Iceland are high, the cost (2900 ISK) for the breakfast here is very reasonable. The only small negative experience I have is that during my stay (May 2018), there was some kind of construction noise in a street behind the hotel which continued until around 8 or maybe even 9pm, it was annoying. Not the hotel´s fault and I didn´t say anything to them.

• Stayed: May 2018, travelled solo
2  Thank tripperwalkerhiker
Reviewed 16 May 2018 via mobile

Booked a single room, and single it was — barely big enough for the canopied twin bed. Still, the location was terrific — easy walking distance to the heart of Reykjavík — and the staff couldn’t have been more friendly and helpful. The breakfast buffet was delicious and convenient, but overpriced at 24 Euro.

Stayed: May 2018, travelled solo