“Did the job”

Cumulus Kallio Helsinki
Ranked #46 of 66 Hotels in Helsinki
Reviewed 6 April 2014

The staff were friendly enough at this hotel, The room and on-suite was nothing special but they did the job.
The hotel is a good 20-25 minuet was from the city center but you can find some very pleasant walking routes into the city center.
The breakfast had some traditional Finish items and was nice. The hotel was decent value for what it is, also considering that it is Northern Europe were prices are a little higher

• Stayed: June 2013, travelled with friends
2  Thank Jamie H

Reviewed 25 March 2014

I stayed here during the Helsinki GoSport trade fair as an exhibitor. It was approximately 20 minutes from the exhibition hall and about the same distance to the city centre by public transportation. The building itself is dated and needs renovating. I stayed in a single room that had everything I needed (no mini-bar) but the room itself was very small. The bathroom especially gave the impression of being in an old dormitory, though everything was clean and fresh towels were furnished everyday. No amenties if not for a wall dispenser for soap and shampoo. Very little closet space if you have a lot of luggage with you which I didn't fortunately.

Breakfast was obviously adequate by northern european standars but if you're used to a normal continental breakfast it's really not all that good. The eggs were notfresh-looking as were the breakfast meats. Breads, cereals, butter, jams and cheeses were on the buffet as were a discreet choice of cakes. The beverage table has juices, milk and a coffee machine. On the whole not a very appetizing breakfast and a couple of times I had breakfast outside of the hotel even though it was included.

I was on the 6th floor and during my stay there was a very noisy group of children for the most part left unattended to run up and down the halls at all hours. The staff seemed not to take notice until I brought it to their attention. They offered a room change but it would have been uncomfortable to have repackaged my luggage and move everything. I declined and did notice the next day a reduction in noise from the group. Room doors do, however, slam shut and the noise level was bothersome. The walls and windows do not reduce outside noise. My safe was not working so I asked intervention and they sent a maintenance man who never came. The second time I mentioned it he did come and left a note that the safe had been repaired. Unfortunately, this was not true and I just ignored the problem keeping my valuables with me when I left the room.

Front desk staff were friendly on the whole though the man who checked me always had a rushed attitude so I avoided him. Not a very good welcome when I checked in and he rushed me off to my room as he was alone at the desk and didn't seem concerned with my questions. When I came down later to ask questions his attitude did change probably because he saw my response to his rushing me away from the desk.

In conclusion, I would choose either one of the other Cumulus hotels around Helsinki or another hotel chain. Leave this hotel to it's Japanese/Russian/east and north European clientelle who may had appreciated this more than I.

• Stayed: March 2014, travelled on business
1  Thank W0rldtraveler58
Reviewed 16 February 2014

We was at this hotel in 2006 early December. The hotel was about 5-8 klm from center, but had the prevelege of being just in front of a tram station which made it quite convinience in terms of transportation. The staff at the receprion was rude, althoight the hotel was clean and the breakfast descent. The hotel is situated infront of a hokey play field which was unique to our eyes and is something ill always remember. The room( adouble) was quite comfort, i could say even big, and had everything we needed after a quite tiring day(walking from 09:00 till 20:00).
In general we were ok, except from the man in the reception. But maybe it was a bad day form him, i dont know.
It wasnt something extraordinary, but with the money we paid , we didnt excpecting for such.

Room Tip: choose a room looking in front
  • Stayed: March 2013, travelled as a couple
1  Thank Andy K
Reviewed 15 January 2014

The hotel's got good location, 10 min by tram and the stop is just in front of the hotel. Rooms are simple and small but tidy and cute. We had included breakfast during our stay and we enjoyed it -a great variety of meals,drinks and fresh breads.
The service was good though at the reception desk they were a little impolite at times.
The only thing I found weird is the way they follow the calendar. It was said on Mon-Fri breakfast was from 6.30 - 10 and at weekends from 7 to 11. We arrived on Sunday so had breakfast on Monday morning at 11 but when we came on Tuesday at 9.50 sharp the doors of canteen were shut though people inside were having breakfast. When we came to the reception desk to find out if we could have our breakfast they didn't even talk to us, just murmured we missed it. Even there were 10 min to go they didn't let us in. That was quite disappointing. The rest was decent.

Stayed: January 2014, travelled as a couple
1  Thank Dashabuka
Reviewed 10 January 2014

I stayed here for one night on a business trip. The hotel was pleasant and the staff were very friendly but it was very boring, the room was best described as 'beige'. the location was not very entertaining either, not much to see in terms of restaurants etc.

If I needed a non-descript place to stay for one nights of business I may stay here again.

Room Tip: There is a tramline right outside th hotel, choose a high room if you want to get away from the noic...
  • Stayed: January 2014, travelled on business