All reviewsthe riverfrozen riverbuffet dinnernice hotelone nightnorthern lightsgood sizethe hotel staffsnow shoeslocation is greatthree nightsroom was clean and comfortablenice surprisegift shopnorthern hotelthe busenjoyed my stay
Reviewed 9 February 2016 via mobile

We stay in the hotel for 3 nights, found the facilities are quite old, mattress was fatique, insufficient plug in the room. Actually, there are not enough service, such as we need forks, they asked us to take it from the restaurant.
For the restaurant, we've tried one breakfast, lunch and dinner, but just have around 3 dishes of appertiser, hot food, bread and etc, finally, we go out for dinner in the last night.
But it's quite convenient, we've taken coach from Roveneimi to there, a bus stop is just opposite from the hotel.

Stayed: February 2016, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 2 February 2016 via mobile

It is true that this hotel is oriented to French market, therefore not so easy to talk to them as they don't usually speak English (and as everything obviously there are exceptions) buut I don't see this as a problem. The hotel staff of course speak English and they were very friendly from beginning to end!

Location is great as you can walk directly to the frozen river and they lend you thermal clothes, boots, woolen socks, even proper gloves if yours are not enough, snowshoes, skiies, skates, etc etc for free! That to me was a huge plus as I thought I would only get thermal clothes while being in the activities but noope, it was the whole time!

Second plus is this direct partnership with Club Nord, is is very convenient that it is inside the hotel facilities and everyday you can plan and book different tours. I travelled alone and I was suggested to join other small groups so that was great! That's their business but still it felt like they genuinely cared about their guests and want to make sure you have a great experience.

Tours are definitely worth it! I was expecting shorter rides with huskies and reindeers but it is very good time (around an hour approx of actual ride).. I got to see the northern lights with Köpi, we was great guide and company! He drove to 2 different spots to get the best views. Flexibility was important as I could decide there when to try depending on weather conditions. And if weather was definitely not in favor (snowing) they don't take you. My photos taken professionally by him are absolutely fantastic so even though it's expensive I recommend it if you want the best pictures with YOU in it! You already spent quite some money to get that north so please make sure you get the right photos!

About the hotel.. I've never been picky in that aspect. Clean place to stay and decent breakfast is enough. It has free sauna, pool, very cozy seats, and a play room with some games and a computer. Unluckily for me I was alone but I would have definitely enjoyed it with some friends! I've read some bad reviews but really Ivalo is tiny and it's all about the nature, enjoying quiet place and so on. If you are looking for the 5 star super fancy thing where the inside things are more important then you need a different destination. Don't forget the main purpose of almost all tourists here is to see the northern lights and have a cozy place to stay! This hotel is good enough when you put all the things together!

Hope this extensive review helps somebody! If I go back I would stay there again for sure!

Stayed: January 2016, travelled solo
5  Thank Natalyhg
Reviewed 21 January 2016 via mobile

If your single or even if your not traveling alone from any country but France avoid this hotel. Their main source of income is French tourist and I mean bus loads of French who are rude, unfriendly and outright obnoxious. The hotel caters to just the French because they are their main guests. They even have the French flag colors in lights in front...... It's quit clear who they are concentrated on satisfying.

Club nord who is affiliated with this hotel is only interested in making a buck and assisting their French patrons. They will charge you 120 dollars for northern lights and take you out on a cloudy day knowing you won't see northern lights because of the clouds just to get their 120 dollars.

There is also nothing to do in ivalo or all the surrounding towns. Aside from a reindeer ride and perhaps husky ride and some snow shoeing etc it's a boring time in a dated hotel that feels like a dated dorm with poor wifi connection and tons of rude French people walking around being rude to non French people-absolutely the worst vacation to date for me. The food is horrible as well.

The front desk gals were nice but that cannot make up for all the other negatives. I felt like I was in a cell the whole time and I was told you need a week to see ivalo. You need 2 days max to see ivalo not a week.

Avoid

Stayed: January 2016, travelled solo
2  Thank Ani C
Reviewed 19 January 2016

Some may say that this hotel is dated, perhaps that is so but that does not detract from having a great stay there! The attitude of all the staff may be dated as well - inn that they ALL showed magnificent levels of hospitality, friendliness and and helpful advice. This alone makes the place a delight! The in-house facility for trips was well organised, helpful and also provided sufficient thermal clothing to allow us to face the arctic winters. We did several trips, including an absolutely magnificent snowmobile safari, but didn't see the northern lights, perhaps this is reason enough to return again!

Room Tip: Ask for a river view - preferably on the first floor. Make use of the in-house organisation for trips, they are well worthwhile.
  • Stayed: January 2016, travelled as a couple
2  Thank 6Michael213
Reviewed 18 January 2016

We had a wonderful week in Ivalo. The hotel was comfortable, the food was good and we enjoyed all the winter activities on offer (snow mobile, reindeer and husly safaris etc.). We learnt a lot about the Sami culture. We particularly enjoyed our Northern Lights trip with Köpi from Hotel Ivalo.

• Stayed: January 2016, travelled as a couple