All reviews great fun northern lights other guests day trip breakfast and dinner stayed for nights small kitchen salmon ivalo airport course dinner a great stay aurora tour memorable experience keep in mind home cooked dinner soup frozen river
Reviewed 2 March 2015

My wife and I stayed in Guesthouse Husky for 4 nights.
Service from Outi and Lea prior to booking was excellent. Because all the twin rooms where fully booked I decided to go for the family room. At first I booked this for three nights and booked the 4th night somewhere else. After a while a twin room became available for the first two nights so I switched from the family room to the twin room. This was noticed by Outi and when a twin room for the 3rd night became available she automatically changed my booking after sending me an email. What a service! I asked her to check if a twin room came available for the 4th night so I didn't have to move. She did and luckily the room became available so we could stay for 4 consecutive nights.
Before arriving I booked the 4 hour husky safari. I got confirmation from Lea as well as a list of other activities. I also choose to have dinner there during our stay.
The guesthouse is located just outside of Ivalo. I recommend on hiring a car. This is about 50 euros a day. We drove from Rovaniemi which is a 3 and a half hour drive, but you can also rent a car at Ivalo airport. With a car you are more mobile which is quite handy when chasing the Northern Lights plus you save on taxi costs. They have an electric point available where you can plug your car in to heat the engine during cold nights. Just follow the signs and it's easy to find.
Food was very good. For a person not being fond of fish, the fish soup and the salmon tasted very well. Compliments! There is water and berry juice available, but if you want a beer or a wine, you can get it at the Alko in Ivalo. Breakfast was simple but good.
The husky safari was great. I didn't expect to steer it myself, but it was great fun. They have all the necessary clothes available to keep you warm. We also booked a snowmobiling safari with visitinari.fi. It was awesome. Ask for Antti who is a great guide!
My wife and I were lucky to see the Northern Lights. There are tours available, but if you have a car, you can drive yourself. Just follow a couple of weather websites or mobile apps and track the weather in the surrounding villages (Ivalo, Inari, Kaamanen, Utsjoki, Nellim, Saariselka, Karigasniemi) so you know which way to go to stay away from the clouds. Solarham.net is a great site to track solar acitvity. This way you can maximize your changes.
The guesthouse has a sauna available free of charge. Just fill in your name to make a reservation. The guesthouse also has snowshoes and skis available for rent if you're an active type of person.
All in all I would recommend Guesthouse Husky

• Stayed: February 2015, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 1 February 2015

We did the overnight husky tour organized by "Guesthouse Husky". We were a small group guided by Yuha, a real husky expert.
We started early in the morning, riding for 50 km on the dog sleigh (with a break in the middle of course!), sleeping in the wilderness in a fairy-tale log cabin on Inari lake and back the day after. It's been one of the unforgettable experience of our lives. The ride brings you into a world of absolute and strong contact with the nature: silence, freeze, open wide view on untouched landscape...Dogs are amazing, docile and enthusiastic, the relation with them is part of the adventure, as you experience an authentic way of travelling for the inhabitants of this wild part of the world.

Stayed: January 2015, travelled as a couple
1  Thank Elisabetta P
Reviewed 30 January 2015

Nice Guesthouse in the wilderness, was a bit hard to find.
Perfect for Aurora watching. Don't forget to take a Husky sleigh ride.
The staff was friendly and the food was good. They have a Sauna you can use for free.
Would definitely stay there again!

Room Tip: Book the dinner and the Husky sleigh ride!
  • Stayed: March 2014, travelled as a couple
1  Thank dmnky79
Reviewed 25 December 2014

We are a family of 6 and stayed for 3 nights. It was perfect for us. We had a room for 4 and a smaller room for 2. It was fantastic to be able to walk down to the husky area and mingle with the dogs. Food was good. The hosts were really welcoming. We did a husky ride from there which was an amazing experience. Much better than staying in one of the hotels in town.

• Stayed: December 2014, travelled with family
2  Thank HTDXDM
Reviewed 21 December 2014

We had a wonderful 2-night stay in a family room at Guesthouse husky. The room was spacious, cosy, comfortable and clean. Beside the guesthouse, is a beautiful farm with 155 huskies, each with a personal name. We had a wonderful time cuddling and playing with them.

Thanks to Lea who has been very helpful in booking the various tours e.g. Aurora tour, Husky Safari etc. We are very grateful to Lea for her excellent service. She attends very well to our every need. For e.g., upon hearing our keen interest to catch aurora, Lea will personally look for us to inform us of possible sighting of aurora at the guesthouse whenever she receives news of strong aurora activity. Also, she readily accedes to our request for late check out, upon hearing that our flight is later in the evening. We also want to commend her on her culinary skills. We enjoyed the 3-course dinner served each night, particularly love the salmon soup which was very delicious.
Thanks Lea!

Thanks also to Rowan, Nhu and Ben for making us feel welcome. We had a very enjoyable and memorable stay in Guesthouse Husky!

• Stayed: December 2014, travelled with family