“Comfy Bed, drippy air con”
Review of Scandic Crown

Scandic Crown
Ranked #36 of 67 Hotels in Gothenburg
GreenLeadersBronze level
Reviewed 24 July 2012

Stayed at the Scandic Crown for 2 nights on buisness. I normally stay at the Gothia Towers but fancied a change. The room was pleasant enough, however I slipped on entering the room as the air conditioning unit constantly leaked. It was only 22 degrees outside !
The wi-fi was excellent with good connectivity. The hotel was full of children (i think they go free !) which doesn't exactly make it a true buisiness hotel. The evening meal I had was absolutely excellent.
Breakfast was good and completely organic.
The rooftop sauna was big and comfortable, however there was a lot of loose wood on the sauna which needs repairing, especially with the large numbers of children present.

• Stayed: July 2012, travelled on business

Reviewed 23 July 2012

Just came home after 1 week at this hotel and as we were travelling as a group, we tried to use the hotel as much as possible to stay together. We found the service among the waiters very poor, in fact rude, and question if the hotel doesn't want to make money through their restaurant.
At breakfast they would come and take your plates as you were eating and though we understand that they needed free tables all the time, such behavior was over the top. Happened every day to us so assume it happened to all guests.
At night, we found the waiters to be very impolite and not very flexible. Too bad, as the reception staff was very helpful. The rooms were decent and were kept clean during the whole stay.

• Stayed: July 2012, travelled with friends
Reviewed 14 July 2012

Just like the roller coaster of the nearby amusement park. Liseberg, this hotel has its ups and downs. I would consider this as a lower medium tourist class. Business people should consider another hotel. Being there in the middle of July, when many people are on holiday, it was overcrowded with “30-40 age something” with small children as they stay free in parents room.

Advantages:

It was pretty good sleeping quality with room on 7th floor facing the Ullevi old football stadium and a small backyard. 3 glass windows. Ordinary bed quality. Approximately size 20 m2 of room. Oak parquet floor. Nice bathroom with white tiles. Service minded personnel. No problems whatsoever with cleaning of rooms. 26 inch flat TV screen with very limited selection of international channels. Free-WiFi. Good breakfast with the ordinary stuff as well as a few warm and cold extras.
There is a small spa –area at the top of the hotel that we did not try, but could be nice when having aching feet after a day out on the town. Excellent location with just a few hundred meters to central station and city area with shopping, restaurants and all other services as banks, pharmacy and so on. Gothenburg is not a big city in terms of the core city area.

Disadvantages.

Dull white painted walls. Simple bed side tables and office desk. Mouldings and ledges need to be renovated (as in almost all hotels that I visited in the past couple of years). Very strange adjustable shower door that was too short, with the consequence of water almost all over the shower room. Shower only, no tub.
We had a family room with an inferior sofa bed. This was not properly mentioned at their web-site when booking. Just that “3 beds had been booked”. Watch out for this when booking to make sure what has been booked or if 3 normal beds are bookable at all.

The main disadvantage of this hotel is the terrible bar/breakfast/restaurant area. The breakfast room is more or less a “high school canteen look-alike”. Terrible brown/greenish chairs and tables, and an even more terrible wall to wall carpet with probably a couple of tons of orange juice and jam soaked in over the years.

If you want to have a rather silent or cozy morning breakfast in July, forget it. Order room service, stay elsewhere or wait until they have renovated or rebuilt the bar/restaurant/breakfast area. If you do not care of this, for many travelers, minor problem, it’s a serious option for a tourist at about 150 Euros a night, which we paid for one adult and two teenagers. High priced? Not necessarily, as Sweden is a high cost country.

• Stayed: July 2012, travelled with family
1  Thank neufdupape
Reviewed 11 July 2012

Stayed here for 4 nights in April 2012 for business. This hotel is easy to get to, about a 2 minute walk from the Central train station, where you can catch a tram to any part of the city. My room looked like it had been decorated by IKEA, so it was modern/minimalist but nice (not fancy). My room size was average for Europe - small but I wasn't bumping into things when moving around. Might have been a little tight with another person plus luggage. Bed was like sleeping on a nice futon, but I like moderately firm beds so I slept great. Those used to soft fluffy beds might not like it. Had a flatscreen TV with 8-9 channels, some Swedish some in English. I found the internet to be excellent, didn't have any problems and the speed was great.

I found that I liked the hardwood floors, which is not common in hotels. I was concerned that the rooms would be noisy and the floors cold, but this was not the case. I heard the person above me walking around a few times, but this was not annoying. The rooms are soundproofed really well and I heard no noise from other rooms. Only problem was the next door room had little kids and one afternoon they kept going in and out of the room. Because the door was so soundproofed it was really heavy and kept slamming loudly as they did this. I popped my head out and their mom put an end to it. I was right outside the lift, but they have this area glassed in and they close soundproof doors at night to minimize the noise from hallway chatter. My room was on the back courtyard, so no noise from the street.

Breakfast was not fancy but there was a lot of variety. My only complaint was no Gravlox. What? Didn't they know this is Sweden?!!! I found the dinner in the central area restaurant to be very good. Had the salmon one night and steak frites the next. Very well done, but shockingly expensive. However, prices are probably pretty typical for rest of Gothenburg. Plan on about $35-50 per person for dinner (and I only had one beer and no appetizer). Found a cheap sushi place down the street that I ate at to try and save a few pennies.

Hotel staff were very helpful and you could tell that they were trying to be polite and welcoming. They were very responsive to my requests. You could tell they were trying hard. They even had a sign up that asked guests to please post a review on TA.

I would stay here again.

Room Tip: Ask for a room on the back courtyard. Lower floors may have better wifi.
  • Stayed: April 2012, travelled on business
1  Thank jamtpo
Reviewed 3 July 2012

It was a great place to stay. It's huge, mind you, with corridors that go on for miles (you could get lost), but the rooms were very cozy.

We had a lovely stay here (after checking tripadvisor ratings). It was very close to most places like the train station, other areas of interest (cafes, malls, etc).

The hotel has a great breakfast spread, which was complimentary and thoroughly enjoyed by us. The staff was also helpful in providing us cutlery and a microwave to heat packaged food (as my wife was vegetarian) brought from India.

We'd taken a nice train pass that gave us 48 hours of access to all trains/transportation and went to very idyllic cafes and places of interest.

• Stayed: November 2011, travelled as a couple