“Best health oriented spa resort”
Review of Kamalaya Koh Samui

Kamalaya Koh Samui
Ranked #1 of 3 Hotels in Laem Set
“Best health oriented spa resort”
Reviewed 20 January 2012

2012 will be my 4th year of returning to Kamalaya. I went there in 2008 to detox suffering with exhaustion in between jobs. Once i was there I simply had to come back. The health program is amazing, the staff and their smiles are something I miss the moment I get back on a flight, the available sports and alternative medicine treatments just great. I could not recommend this place enough. Going back in March for my annual ritual! It has been a five year journey for me so far, but the result is that I am healthier and feeling better, as every year I learn something new that I apply to my daily eating and lifestyle routine. Check out the healthy eating recipes on kamalaya's website as well, if you thought vegetarian is dull, you would be very surprised! Enjoy!

• Stayed March 2011
3 Thank Mpivanova

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (111)
New Delhi
Reviewed 15 January 2012

Reached Kamalya hoping to be another good place, we reached late in the night and checked in, our hopes were not changed yet. The staff has left spinach soup, whole wheat bread, salads and fruits for us in the room, incase we felt hungry - as the dining hall was closed when we reached. This moved us and we knew this was not just another good place.
The place started growing us on us with every passing moment. We went for the Tai Chi class and then again for water aerobics, we were not part of any program. They still has enough to offer the complete day. Then we headed for our body compostion test and it turned out to be an eye opener with a long discussion with the consultant. Just how easily we can change our life style was the outcome.
Kamalaya not only is great for treatments, but also its health food, location, ambience and the warm staff. The small touches which make a great difference. The GM welcomed us in the morning and was there to see us off. Go there it will change your life style for ever - healthy living will become your top priority.

Room Tip: If you can afford please take the sea facing rooms
  • Stayed December 2011, travelled solo
Beijing
Reviewed 28 December 2011

It was my third time at Kamalaya. The first time I went with my husband, second time with husband and daughter, and this time alone. Each time was wonderful, but this was the best experience. I think it’s great for solo traveler, good for couples, but not the best for families. I stayed at the standard villa for two nights, which has a huge veranda with two day beds and great ocean, pool, and garden views. It also has a great outdoor bathroom and shower. The landscape is so beautiful, and you can find peace and perfect view from so many corners. The hotel was designed with perfect harmony into nature. It has the most amazing steam sauna build into a cave. Three small dipping pools on hilltop, a few steps higher than the previous one and with perfect privacy and views. It’s a perfect place to de-stress, detox, and be by yourself. You will feel like a new person after a short stay there. You also have the option to meet with fellow travelers by chosing to dine at the communal table. The staff are super nice. When I asked for late-check out, they let me stayed in my room until as late as I needed without any extra charge. I checked out at 5:30 PM! Highly recommend it!

Room Tip: villas with beach view
  • Stayed October 2011, travelled solo
4 Thank Meghen
Chapel Hill, North Carolina
Reviewed 14 December 2011

After a recent personal energy crash, I knew I needed something to recharge my batteries and give me necessary time away from my real life to rest, recharge, and negotiate strategies for myself to handle stress in my real life. I wasn't sure where to do this but I thought I would give Kamalaya a try.

I arrived and was greeted promptly at the airport for a ride to the resort in comfort. Upon arrival, I was checked in and given cursory information about the resort, its offerings and activities. They could have given more of an orientation as I was a bit confused about how and where to get meals and some general protocols for a wellness resort. But no worries - you figure it out soon enough.

The room had all the comforts you need - comfy bed with a pillow menu and optional mattress topper (highly recommended!), speaker for my ipod and plenty of electrical outlets. I bought an internet pass for 1500 THB which was a bit steep considering I ended up rarely using internet as I was so busy with activities, journalling, spa appointments, etc. These activities were self-imposed as it would have been just as easy to relax in my room, at the beach and do nothing all day but read and relax. But I wanted to learn some new stress management strategies such as different types of yoga, attend presentations by visiting practitioners, and take advantage of their terrific spa, including the services of their on-site Traditional Chinese Medicine practitioner, Dr. Song. I had my full share of options and enjoyed learning yin yoga, some new breathing techniques for relieving anxiety, and qi gong - my current new and much-loved strategy for stress release.

The wellness centre was spectacular. I live in Bangkok where you can get a massage anytime, anywhere for only a few hundred Baht. But largely the quality of these massages is hit-or-miss, with the emphasis on 'miss'. I have been injured several times by 'therapists' who had little to no training and well- it's not at all worth the low price tag. At Kamalaya's resort, all spa services were top notch. Every treatment was a hit - really impressive team who are patient, sweet, and have seriously strong hands to massage out the kinks of my trouble spots.

The resort is built on a a cliff and the architecture is really impressive. The resort consists of about 50 buildings - lots of accommodation rooms, several restaurants, two yoga salas, a presentation hall, wellness centre which has no less than 50 treatment rooms, reception, etc. but it is so well designed, when you look out over the resort towards the sea from the dinner area, you just see a few rooftops here and there. The buildings are built to be part of the environment - many buildings incorporate the landscape , such as for example, boulders on the cliffside jut into the shower room in a treatment room. It's all very organic and makes you feel you are just part of the landscape yourself. Very beautiful and very cozy. The cliff, while beautiful, can be steep! I didn't expect the amount of walking up and down hill that I did but I welcomed the exercise! I wear a pedometer usually which tracks stairs climbed and I found that the walk from the beach to the Yoga Pavilion where the morning classes are held is equivalent to climbing a whopping 14 flights of stairs. The walk from the breakfast and inner area is equivalent to 5 flights. The walk from the lunch place to the yoga pavilion is 13 flights. You get a lot of exercise hauling yourself up and down and around the resort but really - is that such a bad thing? It is a wellness resort. That said, someone with bad knees would be really miserable here.

Overall, my stay was great. It was exactly what I needed and I would return. The only cons were 1) a terrible shower in my room which constantly went from freezing cold to scalding hot. This was never remedied in my stay so I ended up just showering at the Wellness Centre after my treatments anyway. 2) Lack of an orientation upon arrival leaving me a bit confused my first few hours there. The pros were numerous: 1) I feel so much better. 2) I ate healthy food and enjoyed eating things I never would have thought I liked such as beetroot and ginger. 3) I slept like a baby. 4) I had time for me - time to read, to journal, to reflect, to learn some new things. 5) I discovered qi gong - I'm hooked. I also discovered the wisdom of Dr. Song - he was terrific. And he unkinked my neck which has been kinked for several years now despite numerous 'treatments' at numerous doctors to remedy it.

If you've got the means and the knees, I highly recommend this place. It was my Christmas present to myself and it was worth every penny.

• Stayed December 2011, travelled solo
11 Thank Claxhammer
Toronto, Canada
Reviewed 3 December 2011

Super de-stressing spa. The yoga programme was terrific (I am a beginner), and the spa services were top notch. The spa is classy, in spite of being in tacky Ko Samui. I would love to go back every year to relax and be pampered.

• Stayed December 2011, travelled with friends
3.3 km away
Sandalwood Luxury Villas
15.6 km away
Anantara Bophut Koh Samui Resort

Been to Kamalaya Koh Samui? Share your experiences!