1,439 results
All reviews small island skeppsholmen island quiet island museum of modern art military barracks ferry stop moderna museet gamla stan bathroom sink swedish design sea view old town city centre design hotel vasa museum amusement park wonderful hotel
Reviewed 30 August 2012

We stayed in a triple room here in June 2012 for 2 nights over Midsummer's Eve. The hotel is in a very tranquil location that was within easy walking distance to all of the tourist sites. Based on looking at google maps, I thought the hotel would require hiking for ages to get to places like the Old Town and the Grand Hotel but Stockholm is very compact and it was simple to walk everywhere we wanted to go. There is also a ferry stop right by the hotel that takes you to two different islands.

Our room was very spacious and the hotel had lots of neat design elements like the sink, the lighting, etc. It didn't scream "luxury" so much as "intelligent Swedish design." It was very quiet and we did not hear any hallway nosie. The breakfast buffet was wonderful with delicious bread.

The staff was amazing - everyone was totally delightful and helpful, and the entire front desk staff helped us nonstop when my brother's luggage was lost and the airport and all of Stockholm were closed due to Midsummer. Everyone had a great sense of humor and went out of their way to help us -- even helping us by following up on the luggage after we had left Stockholm for Norway! The wi-fi in the room and breakfast area was free. The outdoor patio is beautiful with absolutely serene views. I would stay here again in a heartbeat - it was certainly the highlight of our Scandinavian trip.

• Stayed: June 2012, travelled with family
Joachim08, General Manager at Hotel Skeppsholmen, responded to this reviewResponded 31 August 2012

Dear Guest,

Thank you so much for taking the time to write this review and what a lovely one to receive!
I am my team are so glad you enjoyed your stay with us. I agree, Stockholm is not a huge city and since we are in the city centre you can walk to all nice attractions and areas.

Best and I hope we will have the pleasure to welcome you back soon again.

Reviewed 30 August 2012

We loved being in a serene environment but so close the central Stockholm. The hotel is beautiful with very simple modern classy design. The restaurant is also excellent and the included breakfast is plentiful and high quality. The staff was friendly and helpful in every interaction. The only negative was that we found the standard room too small for two people with full sized (not carry on) suitcases. There was simply no floor space to put them on and no where else to put them. We upgraded to a deluxe room to solve the problem, but caution that the standard room is best for a single of a couple without a lot of luggage. We also agree that there is no way to humanly prevent the shower from spraying the bathroom in the standard bathroom - another issue solved by the upgrade.

• Stayed: August 2012, travelled as a couple
Joachim08, General Manager at Hotel Skeppsholmen, responded to this reviewResponded 30 August 2012

Dear Guest,

Thank you for taking the time to write this nice review! I and my team are so happy you had a nice stay with us and that you enjoyed everytging from our stunning location, our chic Scandinavian interior, our service to our breakfast and Restaurant Långa Raden.

Best and I hope we will have the pleasure to welcome you back in the future.

Reviewed 29 August 2012

We stayed at Hotel Skeppsholmen, in a Standard Room, for two nights in late August and enjoyed our stay for the most part. The hotel offers great customer service, hip and stylish decor, a very good restaurant (that we ate at several times), and a tranquil environment in one of the more peaceful sections of Stockholm. On the down side, the hotel suffers from the same problem as so many "designer" boutique hotels: it seems to subscribe to a "form over function" philosophy. We found this consistently during our stay in several hotels in Iceland, Norway, and Sweden. By far, the worst manifestation of this is the "designerly" shower that floods the bathroom, and the shower at Skeppsholmen was the very worst offender we came across during our four-week vacation. Due to its rainfall shower head and lack of shower door, there's absolutely no way anyone could take even the briefest of showers without thoroughly soaking the entire bathroom. We ended up using both of the hotel-provided terrycloth bathrobes to try to clean up the mess just so we could use the bathroom after our showers. Another design problem was the fact that the bathroom floor was 5-6 inches higher than the hotel room floor, which isn't particularly handy (or safe) when you're stumbling around in the middle of the night to go to the bathroom. You're almost certain to stub your toe, if not trip to your death. And finally, I was a little irritated that the one comforter that they provided for our double bed was the exact width of the mattress, which meant that there was not nearly enough coverage for two people. I slept much better the following night after I asked for and received a second comforter. As for the location...as I mentioned, the hotel is in a very tranquil location, but it's not a particularly convenient location. There's only one bridge linking the island of Skeppsolmen to the rest of the city, so if you're wanting to go to, let's say, Sodermalm, you either have to take the ferry or take a really roundabout path to walk there. I preferred the much more central location of Hotel Rival, where we stayed earlier on in our trip.

• Stayed: August 2012, travelled as a couple

Dear Guest,

Thank you for taking the time to write this review.
Glad to read you enjoyed everything from our service, our chic Scandinavian interior to our restaurant Långa Raden. I agree regarding your comments about practicality in our bathrooms, in some of our standard rooms the shower wall is not wide enough and this is something we are working on.
I am sorry you felt that our location was not convenient. We are located on this amazing green island in the city centre and you can walk everywhere, or you can rent bikes and as you mention if you want to go to the boho chic area Södermalm you can take the charming ferry just outside the hotel and the ride take 3-4 minutes.

Best from a sunny Stockholm,

Reviewed 27 August 2012

I would stay at this hotel again.
Everything is just perfect. The breakfast is great.
Location is perfect for me since I don't like big "touristy" hotel.
I was pleasantly surprised by this hotel and Stockholm in general since this was my first visit.
Stockholm is one of the most beautiful,city in Europe.
LOVE Hotel Skeppholmen

• Stayed: August 2012, travelled solo
1  Thank mrusdia
Joachim08, General Manager at Hotel Skeppsholmen, responded to this reviewResponded 28 August 2012

Dear Guest,

Thank you so much for this nice review and glad to read that you LOVE us.
Best and I hope I will have the pleasure to welcome you back in person next time you visit Stockholm.

Reviewed 24 August 2012

The best thing about this hotel is its situation and location. On a small island near the centre of Stockholm it is - for the most part - a peaceful oasis in the city. For this reason I would stay here again. (I say for the most part, because you do sometimes hear the noise from the theme park across the water and occasionally the background thump of its music. It never went on late during our stay, but it did spoil the tranquility).

The most disappointing thing about this hotel was the service at breakfast. Food and drink items often ran out - even the plates ran out one morning. There were not enough staff on duty to replenish items quickly enough. Self-service here means setting your own place at table too, which means having to find the table mats/napkins etc. It was all a little stressful for first thing in the morning. On the plus side, it was very pleasant to eat outside on the terrace (although the shortage of staff meant that dirty plates weren't cleared away quickly enough).

Wi-Fi did not work in our room.

There is not much storage in the rooms - no drawers or proper shelving. The other problem we experienced was that the duvet wasn't quite big enough for the bed. Once you're under it, there was a draughty gap. And our room had the strangest washbasin - a sort of reverse ceramic bedpan sitting on a base. When washing hands there was a rather pleasant water feature effect. Cleaning teeth did not have such a pleasant effect - and it will not please those who like a proper washbasin for shaving - a case of design over function. On the whole our room was calming, contemporary and simple.

Service in reception was friendly and helpful. (The same could not be said of breakfast).

Room Tip: Some rooms are at the end of a very long corridor - quite a walk - and may not have wi-fi access.
  • Stayed: August 2012, travelled with family
Joachim08, General Manager at Hotel Skeppsholmen, responded to this reviewResponded 25 August 2012

Dear Guest,

Thank you for taking the time to write this review, your feedback is important to us.
Glad to hear you enjoyed our location to the service at the Front Desk.

Sorry to read we didn't deliver the same good service at breakfast. We have been lucky to have been fully booked all summer and during summer most of our guests comes down for breakfast at the same time.
I am sorry we failed to replenish the plates quick enough and we will certainly look in to that.

Yes our famous basins are a "conversation piece" and not the most practical and since the buildings are from 1699 and are on the Swedish Governments 100 list ( the Government rank our buildings on the same level as the Royal Palace in Stockholm) we have not been allowed to build proper wardrobes on the walls, instead our interior designers has designed a chic stand free closet.
Sorry to hear our free wireless Internet didn't work in your room, I will certainly look in to that.

Best from a sunny Stockholm,