“Absolutely the worst hotel experience I have EVER had”
Review of Scandic Copenhagen

Scandic Copenhagen
Ranked #42 of 118 Hotels in Copenhagen
Reviewed 16 June 2017

A colleague of mine booked a room for me for a business trip I had to Copenhagen. I had a delay at the airport (clearly not the fault of the hotel) when leaving Manchester and so I arrived late, tired and somewhat in a bad mood. I went to check in armed with my booking confirmation that I had printed off and was told that my room had been CANCELLED. Not by me, but by the hotel. They had cancelled my room and sold it to someone else and then told me that they didn't have any other rooms!! They then proceeded to tell me that it was my fault, because I didn't arrive before 6pm.
The young girl on the reception desk then called all of the other Scandic hotels in Copenhagen which again, were all "full".
Eventually, after around 30 mins, the manager decided to stop hiding behind the one-way mirror and decided this situation was sufficiently problematic for him to actually speak to a customer rather than sending the young girl out to deal with it.
Eventually, they decided to have a look at a room that had been "out of order" for a while due to water damage. There had been some kind of leak that had been repaired and the only signs of the damage was that the skirting boards had become detached from the wall. I was offered this as an option (what else am I going to do? Sleep on the street?) so I accepted this and was offered a discount.
The room was OK, nothing more, nothing less but the curtains were not big enough to cover all of the window which meant that the sunlight was beaming in through the edges from very early in the morning.
This is the worst hotel experience I have ever had and I would urge anyone considering booking this hotel to think again and book somewhere else.

Room Tip: Choose a room in another hotel
  • Stayed: June 2017, travelled on business
3  Thank Bixjsbejxbabsjsi
Miran K, Receptionschef at Scandic Copenhagen, responded to this reviewResponded 21 June 2017

Dear Bixjsbejxbabsjsi,

Thank you for your stay and for taking the time to give us feedback.

I am sorry you had a bad experience at the hotel. Your booking was made as a 6PM release, and was not guaranteed for late arrival. It was not cancelled by the hotel unrightfully, as this is clearly stated on all confirmations we send out. This is a very common procedure at many hotels around the world, and it is therefore important to read the terms of all your bookings.

As I understand it our staff at the reception, helped you contact several other hotels, and finally found a solution for you. The solution was not optimal, as the room was not meant to be used before we could finish the repairs.

I hope that despite this inconvenience the rest of your stay in Copenhagen was pleasant, and we hope to see you again under better circumstances.

There are newer reviews for Scandic Copenhagen

Reviewed 16 June 2017

• Stayed: June 2017, travelled on business
Review collected in partnership with ScandicHotels.com
Miran K, Receptionschef at Scandic Copenhagen, responded to this reviewResponded 17 June 2017

Reviewed 15 June 2017 via mobile

Stayed in 3 Scandic hotels in Denmark. This was by far the least impressive.
Tiny room. And I'm usually quite forgiving, but when I have to fork out more than AUD $300 a night, I don't expect to be squished up right next to the wall in a double bed. I needed to butt slide my way to the end of the bed to get out of bed without waking my hubby!
The bathroom is so tight that there is no enclosed shower stall. There is a single swing panel of glass between the wc and the shower head. When you shower, the water is free to splash out behind you and wet the entire bathroom. I'm not a happy camper.

Stayed: June 2017, travelled as a couple

Dear Joyce018,

Thank you for your stay and for taking the time to give us feedback.

I am sorry you found our hotel to be less impressive than the rest you visited. It seems to me you have booked one of our Queen Economy rooms. I would personally recommend booking on of our King Superior rooms if you plan to visit us soon again. The difference in prince is approximately 300 DKK, but the room size is almost 10 Sqm bigger. This includes a king bed, and guaranteed great view and larger bathroom.

I hope that despite the room being too small, you had a great time in Copenhagen, and that you would visit us soon again.

Reviewed 15 June 2017 via mobile

I was at this hotel just for 1 night. The location is convenient, staff friendly and the breakfast is also good. This hotel is pretty big as it is also used a lot for conferences. Fine with me but don't expect a romantic get-away hotel. Would use this hotel again the next time I come over for a business trip.

Stayed: June 2017, travelled on business

Dear Jeroen B,

Thank you for your stay and for taking the time to give us feedback.

I am glad you liked the hotel and its location. I will also be sure to pass your nice words about our staff to them, so thank you once again for that. It’s good to see you also enjoyed our breakfast.
I hope that the rest of your stay was good, and that you would visit us soon again.

I wish you a great day.

Reviewed 14 June 2017

This hotel was just perfect for a weekend. The room was a bit small but we just needed a place to sleep. The free breakfast was amazing and the staff was extremely friendly! It was very close to the train station and Tivoli Gardens but it was very easy to catch a bike taxi if you got tired of walking.

• Stayed: June 2017, travelled as a couple
Miran K, Receptionschef at Scandic Copenhagen, responded to this reviewResponded 16 June 2017

Dear Rosie60956,

Thank you for your stay and for taking your time to give us feedback.

I am happy to hear that you found both our included breakfast buffet and the staff pleasant.
We do have multiple room types, so if you are looking for something bigger next time, our staff at the reception are always happy to help you find an upgrade that suits your wishes according to availability.

It sounds like you got the whole Copenhagen experience with Tivoli Gardens and bike taxis!
We look forward to seeing you again.