What a lovely hotel. Immense, luxurious, spacious and with a welcoming reception team. At the time of our visit there was high security in operation due to some famous guests but this just added to the interest of the experience. Our rooms had a sea view and balcony, which offered an amazing panorama of the bay. Little sailing boats to the left, and the port and city to the right. Huge, comfortable bed that I am sure you could sleep a family of four in (although not how it is advertised) and fabulous big firm pillows you could sink into. The bathroom was beautifully
equipped with thick white towels of every size, and the wonderful practicalities of the magnifying mirror as well as the other sorts. (My younger colleague was not sure of the attraction of this but for those of us with specs it was a real bonus.) Choice of shower between normal sticky-out/hand held one or the glorious rain shower variety. Other room treats include the bathrobes and slippers Mini bar (but don’t pick the little bottle of water – it costs 4 euros – there is a big one provided free on arrival. But only one – if you want more pop across the road to the supermarket a street or two away), Nespresso machine, kettle all provided although the coffee-maker is a pay-service.
Lots of high tech buttons, including the electronic notification ‘do not disturb’. I pressed this and forgot about it which meant my room didn’t get changed while I was out all day. Remembered to turn it off when I got in at 6pm so my bed was still turned down.
I didn’t use the gym but the pool was gorgeous and as it was ridiculously hot when we visited it was mostly empty during the day. Thoughtful provision of big canopied sun loungers which offered plenty of shade was a very good idea.
Service was prompt, friendly and efficient which was a life saver as I needed a new toothbrush on my first night and within two minutes of phoning reception I was presented with one at my bedroom door.
Restaurant and bar areas were spacious and relaxing and the food and drinks all reasonably priced for the luxury billing of the hotel. Colleagues pronounced the fresh fish and meat all excellent and the accompanying side dishes and my own Greek Salad were plentiful and of good quality.
If I had to make any recommendations about how to improve the hotel - and these are really picky thoughts – they would be the following. Open the pool earlier so those of us on business who want to swim before work can do so. (It opens at 10 currently). This is a wish rather than an issue however. Provide a free big bottle of water every day – the hotel already provides lavish water in the bar areas etc as a matter of course – and this is great for hot travellers who get very thirsty. My final thoughts are even pickier and it might just have been an error on the part of room staff but by day 3 of my stay my cups and teaspoons had disappeared from my room and I was only given one set of milk pods on the tea tray, on day 1. My colleagues however had had theirs topped up. By my final evening I was having to use a mug gifted to me by my business hosts to make a drink. I could have asked for one at reception and I am sure they would have obliged, but I didn't bother as all of these things I could live with. Overall I thoroughly enjoyed my stay and would love to visit this hotel again.
- Official Description (provided by the hotel):
- Makedonia Palace: not just a luxury hotel.... a landmark. What makes a luxury hotel really stand out? Makedonia Palace offers 283 rooms and suites and redefines the meaning of luxury stay thanks to its"strategic" position. Right in front of the hotel, the redesigned seafront of Thessaloniki with the infinite view of the sea is the ideal destination for an afternoon walk. Just a few steps away stands the most significant monument and city landmark, the White Tower. And just five minutes away on foot, the city center of Thessaloniki invites you to discover it! A real paradise in the heart of the city. Experience hospitality at Makedonia Palace, the luxury hotel of Thessaloniki with the most heartfelt "Welcome"! Additional information: Makedonia Palace,is turning new page in its history! From the 15th of April, till the 31st of May the 8th Floor's Guestrooms will be upgraded and two more Floors, 7th & 6th ,will be upgraded between the 1st of July and the 31st of August. Our goal is to offer you a leading accommodation experience for your future visits! ... more less
- Reservation Options:
- TripAdvisor is proud to partner with Hotels.com, Expedia APAC, Wotif.com, Booking.com, HotelQuickly, Hooroo Pty Ltd, Cancelon, getaroom.com, TripOnline SA and lastminute.com.au so you can book your Makedonia Palace reservations with confidence. We help millions of travellers each month to find the perfect hotel for both holiday and business trips, always with the best discounts and special offers.
- Also Known As:
- Makedonia Palace - Classical Hotel Thessaloniki
- Hotel Makedonia Palace Classical
- Macedonia Palace