“Worst experience of my life - thrown off my horse”

Naxos Horse Riding Club
Ranked #19 of 48 Outdoor Activities in Naxos
More attraction details
Recommended length of visit: 2-3 hours
Owner description: Ride through the 'jungle roads' onto the beach. Most tours ride through the sea to a small island. We stop on the way back at a beach cafe to buy a drink and enjoy the view across to Paros or in the evening watch the sunset.All abilities are catered for from beginners to advanced riders.
Dublin, Ireland
6 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 15 helpful votes
“Worst experience of my life - thrown off my horse”
Reviewed 17 August 2016

Me and my friend booked a two hour beginner tour with Linda. When we arrived we were shown our horses - everyone else's horse were together and quite small. My horse was huge (for a beginner like me I was terrified) and was separated from the rest of the horses. I was so nervous getting on but Linda assured me that this was a lovely horse and wouldn't cause me any hassle. Two minutes into the tour my horse tried to kick the horse behind me and in doing so jumped up. I almost fell off and from there was petrified. The leader closest to me was nice but not the most helpful when it came to controlling my horse. I spent the whole two hours wishing it was over as I was so nervous. My horse spent the whole tour biting the horse in front of it and trying to kick the horse behind.

As we were coming to the end of our tour the front guide announced that we were going to try to trot. At no point while booking or before the tour was trotting ever mentioned - we were all beginners and I had no experience with this so didn't want to trot at all. I called out saying 'No I don't want to trot' but was IGNORED by the leaders. We started to trot and I had no control so yelled 'STOP' and we did. The leader then decided we would try again, and again I shouted that I didn't want to do it and several times asked could I PLEASE not trot. She trotted anyway and my horse decided to pull out of the line and gallop straight past everyone. I lost my balance and fell forward, lost the reigns and had to cling on to his neck to stay on. I was screaming for help the whole time but it took ages for one of the leaders to actually come to help me. I got back the reins, pulled hard and stopped my horse just as a leader came up behind. This spooked my horse and it galloped off again. This time I completely lost my balance and fell off the horses neck landing on my head and back. I was shaking and crying and the leader carried on as if NOTHING HAD HAPPENED. She told the rest of the group to stay calm and kept the line walking straight past me without saying a word to me. No leader got off there horse to check was I okay. My friend had to demand to be taken off her horse so she could come over to console me.

We walked behind the line of horses back to the range - all the while I was trying not to cry. I had smacked my head pretty badly and it was pounding. When I got back Linda hadn't even been informed yet and assumed everything went great. When I told her what happened and started crying she brushed it off as a little accident that wasn't a big deal. Told me to go and wash myself off and drove us back to town. She just wanted rid of us. None of the leaders checked my head or my injuries or showed an ounce of care or sympathy for what happened under their watch to a beginner rider.

I love horses but can now say I will never ride one again thanks to the negligence of this horse riding company. The leaders are young summer staff who did not know how to handle an accident - I'm just lucky it wasn't any more severe.

3 Thank Catriona L
Linda B, Manager at Naxos Horse Riding Club, responded to this review, 18 August 2016
We are really sorry you did not enjoy your experience with us. However I must point out that all our rides are for all levels of rider not just for beginners or experienced riders. Horses are living creatures and can sometimes have an 'off day' the same as we do. It appears that this was your horses off day. She has carried many beginners in the 8 summers she has done this job. The size of the horse has nothing to do with rider level. Some small horses and ponies can only be ridden by experienced riders and big horses by beginners. If you had said you did not want to ride her ,we would have changed her . The guides ,who may only be in their 20's offer instruction before and during the ride. They are qualified riders and are trained guides. As a beginner you possibly would not know the different paces of horses and this horse trotted and when you fell forward your legs would have gone back which the horse would have assumed you were asking for a faster pace. At NO POINT did she gallop.
The guides moved the other people past you to a safe position. You were helped and your horse was led back by a guide. At the ranch I distinctly remember advising you about concussion as you said you had banged your head. Also I did advise you to have a wash and relax . I then took you back to the drop off point which is the hospital. We have always prided ourselves on our safety standards and fortunately accidents are few and far between.

• Greek first
Doha, Qatar
4 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 2 helpful votes
“Lovely Ride ”
Reviewed 15 August 2016 via mobile

I was lucky enough to be the only person booked for the morning ride. Emilie was my guide-- she was knowledgable and friendly. We had some nice canters along the beach, and my horse Diego well behaved. You can tell that the horses are loved and well cared for. We also got to walk through the crystal clear water, which was fun. Thanks for the great ride, Emilie! It felt just like trail riding with a friend :) a perfect way to explore the countryside of Naxos.

Visited August 2016
Linda B, Manager at Naxos Horse Riding Club, responded to this review, 17 August 2016
Thank you for your lovely comments. Emilie enjoyed the ride too. The photos you sent her were really good. We hope you will come and see us again one day.
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 1 helpful vote
“Fabulous ride!”
Reviewed 9 August 2016 via mobile

I have been on three rides at Naxos Riding Club and I have loved every one! The staff are all so lovely, as are the horses. I am an experienced rider but my partner is not but that was not a problem at all. He was on a lovely quiet horse who behaved perfectly for him as a beginner. If you're honest about your expertise then they will look after you and give you a suitable horse! We went on the three hour ride which meant we went across the sea and around the island which was really beautiful, as well as through the shady bamboo which gave a real sense of the island and countryside. All in all it was a perfect ride, just like the other times I have been and we will definitely be back next year!

Visited August 2016
Linda B, Manager at Naxos Horse Riding Club, responded to this review, 10 August 2016
Hi Abby. Thank you for your review. It was great to see you again and of course we will look forward to seeing you again next year .
Winchester
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 3 helpful votes
“Galloping into the sunset - priceless!!!”
Reviewed 23 July 2016

What an experience! We booked online before we arrived in Naxos which was all very easy. Linda collected us from the town as arranged and drove us to the stables where our horses were already tacked up and ready to go. We were allocated horses according to experience and then headed off accompanied by two charming Australian girls who were delightful. Full of conversation and we struck up a good relationship straight away. We thoroughly enjoyed our hack down towards the beach but the galloping along the sands was priceless! What a memorable experience and we still laugh every time we talk about it! Thank you Linda and your lovely team for making our family ride such enormous fun!

Visited July 2016
Linda B, Manager at Naxos Horse Riding Club, responded to this review, 24 July 2016
Thank you so much for you fantastic review. I can assure you that the girls had fun too! We hope that we will see you again in the future.
Derby, United Kingdom
“Fantastic experience !”
Reviewed 9 July 2016

Great horses, friendly helpful staff.
The best part was riding on the beach. It's something I will remember forever.
Linda the owner was very kind and professional from the beginning. Booking was easy and she even picks you up from town and takes you back after the ride.
Highly recommended !

Visited July 2016
Linda B, Manager at Naxos Horse Riding Club, responded to this review, 10 July 2016
Thank you for your review. We are happy that you enjoyed the experience and hope to see you again.