All reviews sister hotel perfect location small pool comfortable rooms cleaning staff old town enjoyable stay recommend this hotel omeletts harbour crete balcony sea
Reviewed 6 August 2017

We visited Kyma on our honeymoon july 2017 in a junior suite with sea view. In advance I emailed the hotel, making sure they knew it was our honeymoon and to make sure we got the room we ordered. The hotel replied politely that "There is no traffic noise as our windows are equipped with double glasses." and "All our efforts consider to make your honeymoon truly unforgettable." We also booked a taxi from/to Chania airport instead of sweating on a bus. We did not regret it, the driver was extremely professional and a very pleasant driver. The cost was 85 euro one way (we found it well worth it).
During our stay at Kyma we had both positive and not so positive experiences.

As a summary if you think it is too much to read:
Cleaning staff was rude and cleaning not as expected, 50% of the receptionists seemed unprofessional, nice restaurant crew, very noisy outside the hotel, toilet/shower share one door, close to old town with nice restaurants/shops. I can not understand why Kyma has 5 stars. When a hotel flashes 5 stars in my face it also means I have expectations, e.g the rooms should be spotless, all the staff should be professional and polite, all guests should have the same degree of service, when guests complaint the staff should be interested in fixing it and not just cover up with excuses.
There was no extra attention or service even though we were on our honeymoon and had conversed with the hotel in advance about it. You would expect more from a 5-star hotel?

We wanted a relaxing holiday and thought Kyma had that atmosphere. It was unfortunately not what we got and ended up spending a lot of time away from the hotel and regretting our choice.
We did not feel that we got value for our money and we sit here thinking that we payed for 5 stars, but only got 3.

So, for more details...

First, the positive things:
- Nice room, modern looking design with practical wardrobe with lights. Balcony with good size and solid glass walls to neighbour balconies. The bed was comfortable, not too soft, not too hard- seemed like quality mattresses. Modern shower and toilet.
- OK harbour view from 4th floor, the sunrise was out of view, but the sunset was ok. (Sun set behind old town, not the ocean)
- Service minded restaurant personell, always light on the feet to make sure we had everything we needed.
- Good breakfast with a variety of both greek and international dishes, also a diet corner.
- To a certain degree professional receptionists, who were helpful when we needed something.

Unfortunaley, we have more of the not-so-positive-things:

- The room is more like a regular room than a junior suite, yes, there is a small sitting group (sofa + one table), but there is no room divider (there is, however, one step up).
The toilet and shower share one sliding door, so if you feel the need while your better half is in the shower: prepare to go with the door open. Which leads to another impractical detail: the entrance is right beside the toilet, and there is no way to lock the door (not that we were aware of anyway).

- The cleaning. Our second day when we returned from the beach, we noticed that only one towel was changed. Since the cleaning personell was in the neighbour room I asked (politely while smiling and holding the old towel in hand) if we could get a fresh towel. The two women conversed something to each other in greek, and answered (not smiling) that they were done with our room. I explained that only one towel was changed, and it would be very kind if we could get a new. They exchanged some greek sentences to each other again, and the one closest to me turned around to me while huffing, puffing and raising eyebrows, she walked past me in the hallway and said I had to call the reception then. I was too surprised by that behaviour to say anything reasonable, so I went back to our room. One second later, the reception called and asked if I needed a new towel. I said "yes, thank you, that would be nice". I also said "I tried to ask the cleaning staff, and she was very rude..." The receptionist explained the behaviour as a lack of understanding english. One minute later- one knock on the door and one of the cleaning women enters with a towel (no smile, just "goodbye"). Lucky my wife was still in the shower and not naked in the entrance.
After that episode, I got a feeling that the room was not so clean. I swept my hand on the floor beside the night table (newly washed room, we had just arrived from the beach), and right enough, my hand was full of dust and hair. Also, the balcony had big hair balls (not our hair..) and sand.
One other detail is that they let the dirty plates stay in the room after cleaning, so we put the plates outside the door- they then disappeared.

- The location is literally on the main coastal street. There is not a single word on either Kyma or Expedias site that gives warning about the noise level. The street had heavy traffic from 07-23, the hotel is next to a taxi queue, the tourist bus and train, and every night there is a concert on the pavement (either a violin or a jazz band). Also, every night all the other tourists (as good as) visits the old city to have dinner- which also generates some noise. The hotel is being promoted as a beach hotel, but the beach in front of the hotel is not allowed for swimming. And the walk to the actual beach is at least 450 metres (Kyma says 200 on their hotel site).

- The beach is big and full of tourists. Only Kyma and Kriti alone has 17 rows of umbrellas, the nearest neighbour is an active motorsport stand. The beach is sandy and soft (and hothothot). On every side, there is umbrellas for other hotels. I would call this a busy beach.

- The service on Kyma varies with who is in the reception. At one point, we talked to the receptionist about the lack of cleaning, towels and asked about the minibar, but after the first "complaint"/question about cleaning, the receptionist behaved as if we should be done talking. The response we got was nodding and "mhm, ok", smiling and wanting us to be done. Whereupon I had to say "I am not done, I have more questions", just to make it clear that we had more to say.
The service also varies with where you booked your stay. When we came, we just filled out a form and got our key. When other travellers came, they got welcome drinks and their own bell boy.

- The price is equal to a 5 star hotel, we payed about 1600 euro for one week with breakfast.

That concludes our honeymoon on Kyma. Maldives next.

Room Tip: The rooms at the 4th floor seem to have less noise. Also better view.
  • Stayed: July 2017, travelled as a couple
1  Thank Janne E
OKHOTELS, Ιδιοκτήτης at Kyma Suites Beach Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 11 August 2017

Dear Guests,
first of all I would like to thank you for choosing our hotel to spend your honeymoon and for taking the time to write your review.
We studied your review carefully and had special meetings with our staff in order to make sure we did not miss anything plus the information we had from the interaction with you directly in the hotel through the reception and our general manager.
What we are going to mention is not said in order to defend ourselves because we do believe that our guests are always right! Obviously some things did not work as you expected leaving you with feelings of disappointment.
To get to the point, some members of our cleaning staff may not be very fluent in foreign languages and the lady you conversed with about your towel was not sure she understood what you needed. But she did inform the reception that's why you immediately received a call from the reception and then your towel. Ofcourse, I understand how you felt by both the misunderstanding and the fact that it took a few more minutes to deal with your request and really apologize for that.
About the cleaning service, I was really surprised since it is a point we never have complaints about. But I believe it was resolved immediately after you mentioned it since our cleaning staff was instructed to clean your room twice a day even if the first cleaning was enough just to make sure you have no doubt that your room is thoroughly cleaned up. Plus I believe we resolved your issue about the mattresses by adding a top mattress (all our mattresses and top mattresses are by the company COCOMAT famous for its quality).
Now, about the reception, even though I know personally and trust completely all our reception staff I am not going to use any excuses. We believe each guest has his/her own unique personality and it is our duty to make ourselves pleasant and useful to the highest degree. For that I can only apologize, we obviously failed in this case and the only thing I can do is promise you that if you decide to visit us again, we are determined to prove you wrong by doing our best to show what our hotel really is.
A true 5- star hotel (recognized also by the many special awards we receive each year from tour operators and on-line channels like tripadvisor etc.), first of all in service, because this is what hospitality is about in Greece.
It will be an honour for us to welcome you again and show you another view of ourselves.

Reviewed 6 August 2017

Hotel was located in excelent place, quite near of everything, rooms was nice and clean and specially hotel staff was helpful and very kind - we liked it a lot! Beach was also near, good sand beach!!!

• Stayed: August 2017, travelled as a couple

Dear Guest,
Thank you very much for your kind words and for taking the time to write your review.
It will be a pleasure to welcome you again in our hotel!

Reviewed 22 July 2017

A stay in this hotel was not preliminary scheduled - our hotel was overbooked for a couple of nights and placed us here for a couple of nights. Overall impression is very good - the room was neat and clean, the bathroom is very well equipped. The location of the hotel is pretty convenient - close to the Old Town and the beach, there are several drugstores and small supermarkets round the corner. Wi-fi connection is strong both in the hotel and on the beach. The dinners and breakfasts gave both a good insight into Greek national cuisine (try snails with honey!) and all the traditional European meals, including delicious blue cheese. The staff is very friendly and English-speaking, some have a fair command of Russian. E.g., we arrived at midnight, but were still offerred a midnight dinner. As for the beach - the sand is very clean and soft, the sunbeds+towels are provided for free. Definitely recommended for family trips!

• Stayed: July 2017, travelled with family

Dear Guest,
thank you very much for your review and the time you took to write it.
We will be happy to welcome you again soon!

Reviewed 13 July 2017 via mobile

We have booked a trip to Crete and choose Kyma hotel using a tour operator from Norway. It was a good choice eventually. The hotel is perfect located very close to the old Town and close to the beach so if you want a nice view pick a room that is at an upper floor. We had mixed feelings. I would like to thank management team for the nicr surprise cake from the house for my birthday. Much appreciated. In the same time we have booked a junior suite and the room had a small bathroom not as how they are presented in the hotel pictures. That was a disadvantage. Caffè machine in the room did not work in the first day but they fixed in the same day. So overall good experience. Hotel is advertised as 5 stars but after my opinion it's more like a good 4 star hotel. For Crete standards it's a very good standard.

Stayed: July 2017, travelled as a couple

Dear Guest,
thank you very much for your comments and the time you dedicated in writing your review.
We would be very happy to welcome you again soon!

Reviewed 8 July 2017

We were first time in Rethymon and liked it a lot. The hotel was in very good place just outside the ole town. And not far from the beach, where were free sunbeds and good service from the sister hotel Kriti. We were very nicely welcomed by the young man from the hotel; he picked us up as the travel agency's bus left us 200 meters from the hotel.
We had a Junior suite, which was clean and ok, but not bigger than usual rooms. The view to the sea was very nice.
Breakfast was quite good. There were a lot of choises, but bread was old and as I asked from "the eggman" if he could make me an omelette for me, he told me to take one of those he had made earlier. I would be okay for me unless they were not dried and cold. That is not the way to act in 5 stars hotel!!
Everything , except the pool, was ok, but not like it should be in 5 stars hotel!!
Yes it says in the hotelinformation that is has a small pool, but this was not a swimmingpool, this was a bathtop! We missed the pool since we had four very windy days with the red flag at the beach.
We can recommend this hotel, but it is not a 5 stars hotel.

Room Tip: Junior suite has a seaview
  • Stayed: July 2017, travelled as a couple