“Good location, small hotel”
Review of Hotel Filoxenia

Hotel Filoxenia
Ranked #70 of 111 Hotels in Chania Town
Reviewed 24 April 2015

Early season visit to Crete, just getting into gear. Nice hotel, very clean and good location about 10 minutes walk from Venetian Harbour and 15 minutes from main town. No beach nearby. Taxi to anywhere can be booked at reception and will arrive in minutes. Lovely fruit and veg market nearby every Saturday which makes the area very busy. Would definitely book again if we wanted to stay in Chania.

Room Tip: No ground floor rooms but hotel does have a lift. No views but every room has a small balcony.
  • Stayed: April 2015, travelled with family

Reviewed 21 November 2014

Family business with all staff very helpful for all things. Restaurant recommendation was superb. Easy walk to the old town, and a handy swimming spot 150m down the road from the Hotel - just walk down the steps into the water. Stayed 10 days and would have been very happy to have stayed longer.

• Stayed: September 2014, travelled with friends
Reviewed 30 August 2014

My third visit was a total disaster as the proprietor acted in the unfriendliest and most mean-spirited way possible simply because I had a cousin pop in for a quick shower before dinner as we'd been at the beach together.

I tried to reason with the gentleman but all he cared about was the fact we used extra water for the third person to shower.

If I hadn't already paid for my two nights in advance I would have left on the spot. Huge shame as I've previously loved the location and simple yet user friendly rooms.

My cousin was rope-able and paid him €5 for his water.

Keep away. All they want is your money while sitting behind their desk smoking and drinking coffee. They didn't help with cases or anything else when we arrived and they certainly had no intention of helping at the end.

• Stayed: August 2014
4  Thank Daniel_Philemon
Hotel-Filoxenia, Owner at Hotel Filoxenia, responded to this reviewResponded 31 August 2014

Dear Sir,

It is true that I have this hotel and I want money from my customers and I try the best for them and their staying to the hotel and the city of Chania.

Sorry but if you want your cousins, brother, friends or others that are not registered in the hotel please book somewhere else (I recommend "Rooms to let" to skip more trouble) especially if you don't know how the hotels work and you think you can break some laws without even asking.

I didn't ask for the 5 euros you thrown it to me trying to cause troubles.

You wrote what you had to say... I wish you to enjoy the rest of your holidays and I will continue to enjoy my coffee and cigarette to the lobby and serving my guests with the best way I can.

Regard
Christos
The hotel owner

Reviewed 27 July 2014

The hotel is placed a few steps from the sea and a small beach surronded by local taverns. Despite of that the area is not noisy. The old town is located 15 min walk from the hotel. if you value a good night sleep don't choose anything in the old town. We were so glad we picked this area. The hotel was very confortable. I'm surpised to see (just now) it's a 2 star hotel. It has all you need on holidays. AC, small fridge, large wardrobe, decent (but very tiny) bathroom. Service is provided every day and the room we stay in was spotless clean. The location was just awesome, people in the hotel very nice and friendly, happy to advise where to go, what's worth to see on Crete and how to get to the places you want. I also highly recommend 2 tavers nearby KAFE KOUTI and the other one just next to it. Very friendly owners and fantastic frappe :)

Room Tip: we stayed on the 2nd floor and the room was perfect. Can't say anything about other rooms
  • Stayed: July 2014, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 25 July 2014

We loved this apartment. It was only minutes walk away from the town and beach but far enough away to avoid any noise from the bars. The apartment was spotlessly clean and had excellent Wifi coverage. The host was very friendly, kind, informative and helpful. There's free parking on the main street bang next to the beach and the apartment is literally a 1 minute walk away from your car. There's also a supermarket and bakers located 3 minutes walk away . Paleochora itself is a nice resort., the scenery is stunning and it's a perfect base for walking. It's unspoilt like many beach resorts but it was extremely busy when we went and overun with familes and children (we did go in July!). I would imagine out of season it's absolutely perfect. We would most likely visit again and if we did we'd stay here again!

Room Tip: I would imagine the rooms on the top floor have amazing views.
  • Stayed: July 2014, travelled as a couple