“Wonderful hotel, great value”
Review of Novus City Hotel

Novus City Hotel
Ranked #36 of 326 Hotels in Athens
Montreal
“Wonderful hotel, great value”
Reviewed 26 October 2011

I stayed in Athens for a few days in September 2011. Novus is located in a prime spot, right across from the Metro subway system with easy access to most places in Athens. The room was nice (nothing extravagant) and clean. The roof top pool and bar were great and the view of the acropolis during the night was spectacular. The breakfast buffet was massive and the staff was very polite and helpful. Definitely going back. Great value.

• Stayed September 2011, travelled with friends

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (63)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Greek first
  • Hebrew first
  • Turkish first
Peterborough
Reviewed 20 October 2011

Beautiful hotel in Athens, only a couple of metro stops away from all the main tourist attractions. The hotel is not in the best area however there were two females in my party and at no time did we feel any problems walking to or from the metro which is just at the end of the road. I would not suggest walking around the back streets near the hotel but neither would I do this in the centre of any major city! I would definately stay at this hotel again.

The staff were very friendly and even the general manager took time to talk to us and advise us of restaurants to try and places to visit. On the hotels recommendation we went to a top class fish restaurant near the port (Zorbas I believe) and had the best meal of our stay. Expensive but fine dining on the port front. We also ate in the hotel on a number of occassions and the food was always of a high standard.

Although the hotel is supposed to have sound proof walls there was alot of noise from other rooms and outside traffic/dogs barking. This did not bother me as I always carry earplugs but if you are a light sleeper maybe a higher floor room would be better.

If I return to Athens I will most definately stay again at this hotel.

• Stayed October 2011, travelled with friends
Sandnes, Norway
Reviewed 9 October 2011

The hotel had very modern interior and a lovely roof terrace with pool, bar and view to Acropolis. Our room was an executive room and was a large room with modern funiture. The bed was a little bit hard. The breakfast was very good with a good variety of different food.
The staff was very friendly and service minded. It was about 100 meters from the metro station. Probably best to cross the street near the roundabout and not at the front of the hotel due to two directions traffic and no pedestrian crossing.
We experienced the hotel as safe place due to always two hotel employees at the front desk and one security guard outside the hotel.

• Stayed September 2011, travelled as a couple
Regina, Saskatchewan
Reviewed 9 October 2011

I stayed at the Novus in mid-September 2011 and was very happy with it. It is slightly off the beaten track, being a short distance from Omonia and Sintagma, and it worked great. The Metaxourgheo metro station is about a half block away and with the €14 weekly transit pass, I was able to get anywhere quickly and easily. The room was a bit spartan but fairly usual for a middle-of-the-road European hotel -- it would benefit from a comfy chair in the room but I spent relatively little time there so it wasn't a major issue. My daily surprise was "what towels will I get today" as the combination and quantity changed almost every day -- it wasn't an issue, there was always enough, it was just amusing. Another aspect of the room that I found amusing was the little window (with blinds, if you need them) that allows someone in the room to see into the shower. It was unusually warm this September and while the room got quite warm, the A/C quickly cooled it off within a couple of minutes.

The staff were great -- especially the servers at breakfast and on the rooftop. I must have missed something in the description before I left and found when I got there that the breakfast room roof opens -- a great way to start the day. In some of the reviews I saw before I left there were a few comments about the breakfast being inadequate -- I found the opposite as there was always an array of breads and cereals, cheeses and meat slices, fruit, and the requisite bacon and eggs. I stayed for a week and every evening I would end the day with a glass of wine or beer on the roof looking out over the Acropolis and the city -- a great way to end the day.

The neighbourhood had a number of restaurants and shops if you were inclined to wander a bit and was perfectly safe. The Novus was a great choice and I would happily stay there again.

• Stayed September 2011, travelled solo
2 Thank NJJEBarber
Reviewed 8 October 2011

We stayed at the Novus Hotel last year and paid around £100 a night, this year we stayed for almost half that ! The hotel is clean, friendly, modern and very handy for the Metro.

Last year we noticed the area was bad for people hanging around, many places closed down etc but this year it seems to have improved.

I would not hesitate to stay at the Novus again, definitely the best place in Athens to enjoy the city !!

• Stayed September 2011, travelled as a couple