“Would stay here again”

Ranked #31 of 326 Hotels in Athens
Mumbai, India
“Would stay here again”
Reviewed 26 January 2012

I stayed here 3 + 3 nights and would do so again if I were to visit Athens.

The hotel is walking distance from Monastiraki station, Syntagma Square and Omonia Square. Also near the various tourist attractions like the Acropolis, Hadrain’s Arch, Agora, etc. and Ermou Street where you can shop. So it is ideally located.

The hotel staff gave me directions even before I visited. When I got there, they told me a friend had left a package for me and handed it over and they were also kind enough to keep a packet for a friend who picked it up later. In fact, I had left my own bag with them when I left Athens to see the rest of Greece and handed it when I returned to Athens and checked in a week later. They helped me hire a taxi for the airport on my last day and also gave me directions to places I asked for during my stay there.

Well, the rooms. I liked the one I got the first time I checked in better than the one I got the second time round though the first time, the bathroom had a shower cubicle and the second time, it was a bathtub (but not in as good a condition as the first one and the toilet was not spotless though it was cleaned everyday). Beds were comfortable; I didn’t find them hard like rock as I read in some of the reviews. Also, I did not see staff smoking in the hotel as some reviews read. However, the second time I checked in, I had to air the room out (there was only one other room available which I did not prefer, given the choice) since there was some smell of cigarette smoke and yes, on one morning, I did smell cigarette smoke coming in from outside of the room. But, to be fair, I did not see the staff smoking. It could just as well have been a guest.

And I was lucky to have a view of the Acropolis from my balcony both the times I stayed here.
Breakfast was standard – toast, croissants, olives, eggs, juice, milk, muffins, cheese... but hearty. I missed it the first day since I left at 6:15 a.m. and I was told breakfast opened at 7:00 a.m. but the next day I found that people had their breakfast even at 6:00 a.m.
You can also use the internet facility here – free.

It’s not a five star hotel but it’s good and clean with helpful staff and I will stay here again.

• Stayed May 2011, travelled solo
2 Thank Delissa
attaloshotel, Manager at Attalos Hotel, responded to this review, 23 February 2012
Dear guest
Thank you for taking some time to make a review about our hotel!
We are glad to hear that you enjoeyd the location of the hotel , the luggage storage service and also that you were satisfied with the service of the hotel staff. We try to offer the best we can in order to make your stay as comfortable as we can and we are glad when we achieve our goal. Smoking of staff is forbidden inside the building of hotel and also the guests that smoke stay in smoking rooms. Maybe on the day you stayed there was someone that did not mention he was smoking... Breakfast is served from 7am in the morning but in case of early check out , if a guest would like something we would be glad to offer it. We make renovations every year and we change things at the hotel. We have changed many matresses as well, so sleep quality has improved.
We are happy that your stay has been a positive experience and it will be a great satisfaction to welcome you again in our hotel in the future!
Attalos hotel manager

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (313)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Greek first
  • Hebrew first
  • Korean first
  • Turkish first
Glasgow
Reviewed 18 January 2012

While looking for a hotel for a short break in Athens the Attalos always got good reviews - decided to book because of this and I was not disappointed. It is within walking distance of the metro and train stations (minutes away), all the major sites, market, shopping and restaurants are all closeby. However the greatest advantage the Attalos has is the staff, all were extremely helpful and always greeted you with a smile. Nothing is too much for them. The roof bar is closed in winter, but they have a winter bar downstairs, however the roof is open and you can appreciate the wonderful view of the Acropolis and across the rooftops - spectacular, there can't be many other hotels in this price range with such a wonderful view.
Thank you for a wonderful stay, if I come back I will definately stay here again.

• Stayed January 2012, travelled solo
1 Thank djy100
attaloshotel, Manager at Attalos Hotel, responded to this review, 15 February 2012
Dear Guest,
We are glad to hear that you were satisfied with the service you received from our staff , location and the hotel's view. The rooftop bar unfortunately had to be closed for some months this winter but it will open on March 1st so all the guests will have the opportunity to enjoy it. It is nice to hear that you enjoyed the view on the roof during your stay.
Satisfaction of our guests is our primary concern and we are very glad when we achieve a positive result.
Thank you for your review and high score!
Kind regards
Attalos hotel Manager
Western Ireland, Ireland
Reviewed 13 January 2012

Having had no time to choose from the lush hotels Athens has to offer (last minute trip) we ended up in Attalos which surprised us rather pleasantly. The view from the rooftop is unbeatable, to say the least! I sincerely and honestly do not think it can get better anywhere else in Athens… However, every time we went to enjoy it, the place which supposedly doubles as a restaurant/bar, it was empty with no staff or other guests around; it seemed and probably was closed.

To add to the unique geographic location of the hotel, it is worth a mention that the place is in a 10 minute walk from the main sights. I always prefer that to being right in the “centre of action” because then you are also signing up to endure all the hubbub of the “action” scene. Not me, not on my relaxing getaway.

The reception staff was helpful with advice and gracious but just enough. The housekeeping was outstanding – friendly and really doing a great job! We felt our room was the only one they had to tend to in the hotel, how clean and well-cared for it was left every day!

The room itself was quite nice; had AC, mini fridge, a comfortable desk and quality blinders. The room was a bit dated and also could be larger. No problem in strikingly beautiful Athens and if ever were there any regrets, it was our fault not to do our usual profound search for the hotels we’re used to. Attalos worked out just fine for what it was. Also, upon arriving upstairs with our key, we figured out we received an unexpected upgrade to a room with balcony and it had a view of Acropolis! Cheers to the staff!

In short – lovely. An exceptionally good value for a midrange category.

• Stayed December 2011, travelled as a couple
2 Thank Earthwalker247
Dear Guest
Thank you for taking some time to make a review of our hotel at TripAdvisor. We are glad to hear that your stay at the hotel was a positive experience and that you were satisfied with the room, the staff and the location. It gives us incentive to keep up on trying to offer the best we can.
We are sorry that you did not manage to enjoy a drink on the rooftop bar but due to quite a cold winter and also some plumbing works ther bar on top was closed from December to February and the bar on the 1st floor is operating instead. The area is open though to everyone who would like to sit and enjoy the view.
We hope to be able to welcome you again in our hotel in the future!
Attalos hotel Athens
Tampa, Florida
Reviewed 11 January 2012

If you're looking for spacious accomodations for your stay in Athens, then this is not your place. Despite the small room (who wants to stay in a hotel room when the Acropolis is outside your doorstep?!) the hotel was very clean, the breakfast was very good, and the hotel staff was very helpful. It's also walking distance to the train station & very easy to go to & from the airport as well as the downtown flea markets & the Acropolis.

• Stayed August 2011, travelled with family
1 Thank Niki W
attaloshotel, Manager at Attalos Hotel, responded to this review, 7 February 2012
Dear Guest,

We thank you for staying with us during your short stay in Athens and we are pleased to know that the cleanliness, the breakfast, the staff and the central location met your expectations.

Guest satisfaction is our primary concern and any comments that help us maintain the high standards are warmly welcomed.

We will be glad to be able to welcome you in our hotel another time in the future!
Brooklyn, New York
Reviewed 11 January 2012

Great location, super clean, nice people, good rate-- especially since most hotels don't offer a single rate.

• Stayed January 2012, travelled solo
2 Thank Jasonides
Dear Guest
Thank you for choosing our hotel during your stay and your review at TripAdvisor!
It is nice to hear that you had a very pleasant stay and that you were satisfied with location, cleanliness and staff !
We will be glad to welcome you in our hotel another time in the future!