Hotel Acropolis House
USD 324*
USD 284*
  • Pool
  • Restaurant
All reviewsno elevatorgreat locationsyntagma squarefamily run hotelsingle bedfirst flooryour luggagefriendly hotelairport busfew minutes walkthe breakfast areamain sitesreception areahotel staffsmall hotelstreet noiseon foot
Reviewed 10 September 2011

Acropolis House is in an excellent location on the edge of the Plaka and within easy walking distance of Syntagma Square. Kodrou Street being pedestrian only is relatively quiet. However taxis can still get quite close to the door, at the intersection with Nikodimou Street.
Front staff are friendly and helpful (all speak good English).
My room was clean and comfortable with a balcony overlooking Kodrou street and a nice view of the Acropolis around the corner. Bathroom was separate off the passage.
Wi Fi was available in the lounge area but not from the bedroom.
The breakfast is rather basic, particularly compared with other places I stayed in Greece, and the breakfast staff did not make any effort to serve me quickly me the first morning when I needed to catch a tour bus and didn't have much time (so I left a little hungry).
However I enjoyed everything else.

• Stayed: June 2011, travelled solo
2  Thank RobtP
Reviewed 8 September 2011

Acropolis House is located one block away from Plaka. The hotel has two parts which I got to find out by chance. I had booked a quadruple room. Upon check in, I was given a triple room with a “cot” (an extra holding bed, quite uncomfortable; no place even to move in the room). I talked to the receptionist. He apologised repeteadly, but said I had to wait till the following morning to work out the problem, as the hotel was fully booked which could have been so as it was summer time.
The room was VERY old, which I guess is usual in Athens. Afterwards I found out that the building was more than 100 years old!
The next morning, I talked to another receptionist who was a bit more relunctant to solve the incovenience. However, irritated and disappointed as I was, I firmly claimed I wanted another room as my 21-year-old son had slept uncomfortably. After insisting very much and very hard (the hotel receptionist tried to make it seem as if I was getting a “deal”) I ended up negociating two rooms for the four of us, on the newer wing of the hotel (that is how I came across it!).
These rooms had nothing to do with the previous one, and I was told the price of those rooms was higher than the one I had booked. I do believe so as they were much better and newer.
The checking out day 7 euros were reduced from the original booking price because of my insistence about the discomfort of the first night. I DID value the changing of the rooms as I was travelling with my children and it was their first time in Europe. I personally love Greece and its people, and I wanted my children to take a good impression of this warm people.

On the good side: every room has its own fridge, which is very useful. Air com Works properly.
Breakfast was simple but good and fresh: coffee, tea, milk, bread, jam, olives (Brown by the owner), oranges, eggs.
Free wi – fi in the lobby area.
The staff was very efficient and warm as Greek people are.

All in all, I personally find it a bit pricy.
I would stay there provided I Could have a room in the newer part of Acropolis House.

Room Tip: Ask for a room in the newer part of the hotel!
  • Stayed: July 2011, travelled with family
3  Thank Betty P
Reviewed 21 August 2011

Great location in an antique home, run by a family. If you want anonymity, this may not be the place for you. We stayed on the fourth floor (long hike up the stairs) of this hotel and liked the little amenities of this 135 year old hotel. High decorated ceilings, marble stairways, old-fashioned lounge area. It was a little pricy - and did not take credit cards - but it was worth it to us because it had a quadruple room for the four
girls. Views
from the Acropolis from our french-door windows, views from the hallways if you unhooked the wooden latticed shutters and threw them open. Down the way from a Byzantine church. Very good location. Because we were travelling with four teenagers, we felt very comfortable leaving them do their own thing because the Plaka was so safe and because the nice hotel manager was gently keeping track of their comings and goings. Would definitely recommend it to families.

• Stayed: August 2011, travelled with family
2  Thank allen l
Reviewed 17 August 2011

I reviewed this hotel on tripadvisor previously after a stay several years ago. I decided to stay here again upon a second trip to Greece. I booked 3 rooms for friends & family-we were all travelling together. I booked 3 double rooms-2 as doubles (for couples) and 1 double as a single. Upon checkin, I discovered that because of the Special Olympics, the hotel took the liberty to change my reservations & give me 1 double room & one "triple" room. This room was the same small size as a double but with a cot. I was very irritated by this since I booked this hotel several months in advance and even confirmed my reservations just before I left for the trip. Upon confronting the hotel about this, they tried to make it seem like I was getting a "deal" by the offer they were making me for the 2 rooms. Also, I thought the response from the hotel woman was very lame-she said that this is the problem with booking rooms so much in advance. I ended up negotiating a reasonable rate with the hotel after negotiating made me realize there was no chance to change my reservations back to the 3 rooms. This was all very very frustrating, especially given that this was the 1st leg of the trip and I was traveling with my in-laws who had never been out of North America. This wasn't a good first impression for them! Overall though, I really like the location of the hotel and the breakfast is decent. I am 50-50 on whether I would stay here again. The only reason I say this is that it is a cozy hotel, in a good location (1/2 block from a really good chocolate store! and in a more residential part of Plaka district), and it's cheap.

• Stayed: June 2011, travelled with friends
5  Thank amyhearttravel
Reviewed 1 August 2011

As a persn looking for location and with a good value I researched many hotels in the Acropolis area and came across this hotel. Not only did the hotel meet my expectations, but the staff was wonderful in answering my questions and steered me in the right directions regarding addendums for my time in Athens. On my floor I had a great night view of the Acropolis for photos. The hotel is one block removed from the Plaka area and close to the Stygma Square for the Metro. My room came with a veranda overlooking the street in a quiet neighborhood. Would I go back again? You bet!
Any questions - fire away.

• Stayed: July 2011, travelled solo