“Great pub...fab food.”

The Swan Inn
Cuisines: Contemporary
Good for: Local cuisine
Dining options: Lunch, Breakfast, Dinner, After-hours, Delivery, Reservations
Description: The Swan is an iconic 200 year old listed building with spectacular views in the summer overlooking the beach of Little Haven, nestled in St Brides Bay, and roaring log fires in the winter. It aims to offer a memorable eating and/or drinking experience in an informal atmosphere with fabulous friendly service. Offering an extensive menu of fresh local seafood, locally sourced meat, seasonal ingredients, complimented by a fabulous selection of quality wines, craft beers, international gins, and imaginative cocktails. The interior of the property consists of a welcoming main bar area, with snug, hosting a pewter bar as its centrepiece. Further accommodation provides a cosy ground floor restaurant, a stylish first floor dining room and an outside terrace offering sheltered views of St Brides Bay: with the capacity to seat 70 diners.
Reviewed 6 April 2018 via mobile

First visited for lunch earlier this week - a group of 10. We were all really impressed with the efficient, friendly service and the excellent lunch menu. A drink outside on the roof terrace in the sunshine to begin was welcomed as our order was taken. Fabulous sea view. A ten minute warning our food was soon ready, took us inside to a cosy table. Even the dog was given a mat and a drink! Everyone was happy with their meal choices, portion size and taste. 4 of us returned for dinner last night. Again - excellent friendly service and the food was delicious. Can't fault it. Highly recommend. When we return to the area, we will definitely visit again. Great spot in the lovely Little Haven.

Swaninnpembs, Owner at The Swan Inn, responded to this reviewResponded 6 April 2018

Thank you for taking the time to write us such a lovely review. Our cosy snug table is a family favourite as it is a private space ideal for families and groups with dogs. It was lovely chatting with you on both occasions and we look forward to seeing you again.

Reviewed 6 April 2018 via mobile

Should have worked it out.
As the other pubs in Little Haven were fully booked.
This was the last choice.
We had family down for the weekend and they had friends staying in Broad Haven. So I said I’ll book a table for all of us.
When we arrived we were shown to the table. This was the first sign that started the alarm bells ringing.
It turns out they call this the snug. When we all sat down only the two people on the outside could get up and out to the bar. When the drinks arrived we had to pass them along to the rest of our party.
We made our choices off the small menu.
Food arrived after a little wait. It was quite apparent that all was not ok. The risotto was inedible.
The portions are very small on the rest of the meals but tasty. We ordered some desserts, sticky toffee pudding and the cheese board. This consisted of 3 sticks of celery about two inches long, 5 pieces cheese the size of your thumb. In total 5 crackers 3 of these I’m not kidding smaller than a ritz cracker. No way was this cheese board worth £11.
I felt terrible about all this as I had booked it.
We all decided to pay the bill and leave.
At this point a man arrived at the end of the table and started to ask did we enjoy our meals. Then stated I’m not bothered if you didn’t anyway. What an arrogant horrible man. He carried on with his arrogance of how they close a flap on the fire to fill the pub with smoke when they want people to leave.
To be honest we all looked at one another and really couldn’t believe what we were hearing as he continued to waffle on and made us feel quite uncomfortable. The bill arrived a whopping £294.
Never worth the money not even worth half that.
I myself apologise to our party for coming to the Swan. Never again and we are local. I must also add that two of our party work in the hospitality trade in management positions and one is semi retired advisor to a brewery chain as a troubleshooter . We all agreed never to return and pass on our experience.

5  Thank Vaughan P

I am sorry your experience at the Swan our pub/restaurant was not as you hoped or expected. Your party of 9 are obviously so upset, 2 of you have seen fit to write your own individual scathing reviews. I will always as an owner, 'hold my hands up' to negative experiences and try to right our wrongs, however in this case I believe we are just not to your personal taste and would like to put forward the alternative view to readers.
1.) Choice of table
You phoned the Thursday evening prior to the Easter weekend (one of our busiest weekends of the year) to book a table for a party of 9!! I believe I mentioned that due to the size of the party and the lateness of the booking, the only table available was one in the bar, our popular snug table. You were also offered 3 time slots. Admittedly it is difficult to get around this table and offer silver service, but you seemed happy to pass things down, even when we offered to come into the space. Waitress service means the need to get to the bar is removed, but you had access to your own personal bar in the snug if you had wished to order extra. Your arrival at 6.30 on the Saturday meant the pub was at it's busiest with Easter drinkers. The stag party that had popped in for a drink on a pub crawl were noisy to start, but as the owner I stood with them asking them to keep the noise down so as not to upset our diners, this they did and left shortly after with no fuss. My waitress also apologised for the noise.
2.) Pricing
Our menus are displayed outside for customers to make informed choices. I could list all the reasons to justify the price, however simply, premium local produce, in a prime location unfortunately will cost more. £294 between 9 for a 2/3 course meal with drinks averages at £32 per head.
3.) Food
You state our Wild Mushroom Risotto was inedible. Your reply when I asked if there was a problem with the uneaten risotto was that it tasted meaty. Every googled taste description for the wild Morel mushroom talks about its meaty, nutty earthy flavour. You claim we do not have exciting desserts - Sticky toffee pudding/ Chocolate ganache, orange parfait, macerated strawberries/ Warm apple terrine, apple sorbet, cinnamon cream/ Chefs take on rhubarb and custard, poached rhubarb/ Pistachio cake, cherry bakewell ice cream, cherry coulis/ Affogato, I believe is varied. Our cheese board is for one person, hence 3 Welsh Oatcakes and 3 Welsh crackers plus 5 Welsh Speciality cheeses is a justified size. Our portions are designed to offer the opportunity to experience 3 courses of rich and varied flavours and not feel over full.
4.) My husband's sense of humour.
Obviously the jokes regarding our smoking fire and your experience were lost in translation. My husband really cares about the views of his customers, hence why he popped over to talk to you and many previous reviews comment on the time he spends with customers.
Obviously repeat business is not expected.

Reviewed 6 April 2018

I phoned to try and book a table on Good Friday for later that evening and was grateful that they could fit us in, even though it was a busy period. On arriving we had a very warm welcome from the owner and it was explained that there may be a small delay with our table as it was absolutely packed. Although busy there was a great ambience and it was clear to see the staff doing their best to look after everyone.
We were taken to our table and the service and attitude of the staff was absolutely first class throughout the whole night.
The food quality was fantastic for every member of the family and all thoroughly enjoyed it. Regular but not imposing checks by the staff to ensure that all was ok were carried out with swift service for extra drinks.
On receiving the bill I was pleasantly surprised as it was quite reasonable for good quality food and service.
I have no doubt in recommending the Swan to anyone.

Thank you for taking the time to write us such a detailed and positive review. Prime weekends always pose extra pressure on the staff so I am delighted, our team did us proud.

Reviewed 3 April 2018 via mobile

We had a a delicious dinner with friendly service and beautifully prepared and tasty food. The choice of gins is great too. Recommend monkey 47 and Mare.

Thank you for taking the time to write us a review.

Reviewed 3 April 2018

Superb Sunday Roast with attentive staff and top quality food and a great atmosphere!!

Bravo Guys :)))))