All reviews port wine restaurant recommended bus routes ten minute bus ride city centre small hotel free port budget hotel bus service places to visit on arrival hire car place to stay yellow line big bathroom decent breakfast thoroughly enjoyed our stay
Reviewed 17 October 2017 via mobile

We stayed for three nights, and though initial impressions weren't great, with both the area and the facilities looking a bit tired and dated, we weren't paying enough to expect much more. However, the owner and staff were all very friendly and helpful, and could not have done more to make our stay pleasant. Not too far to the city centre, room basic but comfortable, service excellent, prices low.

Stayed: September 2017, travelled as a couple
1  Thank andes08
Reviewed 2 October 2017

The location is good. there is a bus right at the doorstep that takes you to the historic center or you can easily walk there in about 20 minutes.

The hotel itself is old but maintained relatively well. There is no elevator, if you have a lot of luggages, ask for a lower floor.

The staff there are all very nice. The owner helped us to print out our boarding pass as the airline we took will charge us an extra 50 euro if we don't have a printed copy of the boarding pass. He admitted he never tried to print something with his printer before but he was there to help. A big thank you to him. By the way, he is a very good singer and he will sing for you if you ask him to.

The hotel also provided to the guest a welcoming bottle of port wine and it is very good. Breakfast was reasonable but not much variety and it is included in the price.

In all, if all you need is a place to sleep and at a reasonable price, this is a good place to consider.

• Stayed: September 2017, travelled as a couple
1  Thank JumpingB
Reviewed 1 October 2017

The hotel is in a nice building with a turret stairway. The room we had was enormous dinning room, hall way, bed room and modern bath with an outside patio with orange trees and another dining area. The parking is an additional 5 euros a day in a large indoor lot directly across the street. If you get a chance try to get the owner signing. He is an accomplish opera and fado singer. He is really quite good. It is about a 2 mile walk to the river front but buses and trains are nearby.

Room Tip: We only saw the room we were in it was to the right one floor up. I would pick it again.
  • Stayed: September 2017, travelled with family
Reviewed 27 September 2017

I chose Residencia Lis because almost everything else in Porto was booked out on the dates I had to go there for a scientific meeting. For the price I did not expect any luxury, just a small local hotel of reasonable standard. I was pleasantly surprised by what I got for my money. The staff is very friendly and informative, the free Wifi is working well, a reasonable breakfast is included, and the old city of Porto can conveniently be reached from the hotel's location by a bus that stops right in front of the hotel, or on foot by a 30 minutes walk. The area appears safe, too, even in the middle of the night. My (single) room was located right above the hotel's entrance, facing the road, and was quite noisy with the window open (but ok with the window closed) because of the traffic and the busses that run all night. The bed was good, the furniture was old but functional, and the bathroom was ok. The whole room, especially the carpet, was smelling a bit musty, but not so bad that it could ruin my (overall pleasant) experience. I would stay there again, especially for the price I paid (35 Euro per night). As to the overall rating, I would give the hotel a "good", but as this is not possible, I rate it as "very good" - but of course you have to take into account the category and the price, so "very good for the price" is maybe the fairest rating.

Room Tip: The rooms to the street are a bit noisy
  • Stayed: September 2017, travelled solo
Reviewed 14 September 2017 via mobile

From our hosts who took time to explain the local area, sing us a brief excerpt of John Rutter and give us a complimentary carafe of homemade port! Whats not to love?! Clean, friendly,and very reasonably priced. Highly recommend

Stayed: September 2017, travelled with friends