“Good value , good service , good food and good company”
Review of DouroAzul

DouroAzul
Ranked #71 of 180 Tours in Porto
More attraction details
Owner description: DouroAzul is a Portuguese cruising company based on Porto that offers the possibility to cruise the beautiful Douro River Valley landscape, declared a World Heritage Site by UNESCO, from Porto to Barca d'Alva on the Spanish border. DouroAzul offers a wide range of services going from one hour cruises on typical Rabelo boats within the limits of the city of Porto, to seven nights riverboats cruises within the most luxurious and sofisticated ships that navigate the Douro River stream.
Reviewed 25 June 2017

Would heartily recommend this seven day cruise on the Duoroazul boat Duoro Prince . Not an ultra modern boat but a 50 year old , built in Germany , with lots of wooden fittings . The particular attraction for us was the fact that it was a small boat , maximum 48 passengers ; on our cruise 27 Brits and 10 Norwegians so not a crowd by any means ! The cabins were fine if small and air-conditioning was very efficient and much needed during the recent heatwave . Without exception the crew were delightful and our guide Joana very efficient and knowledgable. Most of the visits were enjoyable and interesting except one ! A visit to a quinta where they produce Muscatel and a typical Portuguese meal was rather dire .The entertainment on board was very good and appropriate ; a group of local musicians who sang and played typical music . We enjoyed our initiation into the mysteries of the Portuguese language but were sorry we didn't get the talk on the history of the country . A very enjoyable experience overall

Reviewed 28 May 2017

We took the six hour boat trip to see the vineyards and returned by scenic train ride from Regua. Crew extremely helpful and breakfast and lunch very good especially considering the number of people on board. Beautiful scenery and so lucky to have fantastic weather. Would thoroughly recommend this trip

Reviewed 21 March 2017

50 minute cruise to see the sites of Porto and Gaia from the river. Audioguide was very good and gave us a better appreciation of what we saw and the history of the river.

Reviewed 27 October 2016

We took the one hour 6 bridge cruise (blue and yellow boat) from this company. The cruise itself was nice and scenic, and we enjoyed ourselves. However, about an hour after the cruise I discovered I had lost my wallet. I retraced my steps - not really expecting to ever see the wallet again, but when I got back to the cruise docking area, two of the cruise employees were still there WITH MY WALLET which still contained everything, including more cash than I should have been carrying in the first place. One of the employees said he remembered me (must have looked at my driver's license), and went walking along the street looking for me. Wow.

Reviewed 21 May 2016

I went on a SAGA holiday 12th-19th May. I knew the weather in Portugal had been awful prior to my trip but knew it was due to change for the better on my arrival. Saga called me 2 days before to let me know that there was no sailing due to high water levels but they were hopeful sailing would happen later. We all had to spend the grist night in a hotel in Porto as boat was moored far away. Next day did a half day tour round Porto then made one of the worst journeys ever by two trains + a coach. We arrived that night feeling fed up, tired, cold & hungry.. Next day the sun shone & we did a day trip to Salamanca in Spain, very enjoyable. Unfortunately we never did sail apart from two short trips between 2 locks. The scenery is dramatic, river winds its way around stunning valleys a few buildings here & there. The boat itself is quite old. Apparently can hold 80 passengers which is way too many for the small dining room & lounge bar. We were a party of 41 so it was adequate. The staff were lovely. The tour guide Tiago was very knowledgable & funny but did struggle to communicate with us when it came to informing us of bad news, guess he did not want to be the bearer of bad tidings but everyone prefers to know the facts. Luckily Saga sent Mary as a kind of trouble shooter & she told us the facts & sorted out a lot of problems.
The cabins are small but satisfactory. The Upper Deck level have a large window, the main deck a small window placed quite high so if you wanted to see our you had to stand on the bed.
Food was fine. Top deck was great for sunbathing with comfortable loungers. Also space under shade if you wanted to stay out of the sun, tables & chairs also comfy.
It was a huge shame that we could not stick to the original schedule & sail from place to place. The reps did their best to find other places of interest to visit but I could not always face yet another long coach journey. Coach a double decker, slippery seats so always on edge of seat, most uncomfortable. Sure this would be a great holiday if weather fine but not so great if port authority refuse to let the boats move

2  Thank sue f