“Honest beyond belief”
Review of DouroAzul

DouroAzul
More attraction details
Owner description: DouroAzul is a Portuguese cruising company based on Porto that offers the possibility to cruise the beautiful Douro River Valley landscape, declared a World Heritage Site by UNESCO, from Porto to Barca d'Alva on the Spanish border. DouroAzul offers a wide range of services going from one hour cruises on typical Rabelo boats within the limits of the city of Porto, to seven nights riverboats cruises within the most luxurious and sofisticated ships that navigate the Douro River stream.
Reviewed 27 October 2016

We took the one hour 6 bridge cruise (blue and yellow boat) from this company. The cruise itself was nice and scenic, and we enjoyed ourselves. However, about an hour after the cruise I discovered I had lost my wallet. I retraced my steps - not really expecting to ever see the wallet again, but when I got back to the cruise docking area, two of the cruise employees were still there WITH MY WALLET which still contained everything, including more cash than I should have been carrying in the first place. One of the employees said he remembered me (must have looked at my driver's license), and went walking along the street looking for me. Wow.

All reviews
in 4 reviews
"journey"
in 7 reviews

Reviewed 22 June 2016 via mobile

If you are in Porto then this cruise is a must do. Worthy every penny and more. The cruise is about 6 hours and begins at Ribeira area. The cost is 60 euros per person and includes breakfast and lunch and a return train ticket from a place called Regua.
The cruise takes you along the river Duoro upwards and has 2 dams to cross. The crossing of each dam is like a typical Panama Canal crossing. The boat is raised to levels of 35 mtrs at first dam and about 80 mtrs on second dam. The entire process makes the whole trip worthy.
The food provided is steaming hot and very wholesome. There are crew members who are ready to take a couple photo and give you a print for just 6 euros. Worth it. It's most peaceful cruise and very relaxing. Good to forget the world and just sit there and soak in its glory

4  Thank Vishwanath T
Reviewed 21 May 2016

I went on a SAGA holiday 12th-19th May. I knew the weather in Portugal had been awful prior to my trip but knew it was due to change for the better on my arrival. Saga called me 2 days before to let me know that there was no sailing due to high water levels but they were hopeful sailing would happen later. We all had to spend the grist night in a hotel in Porto as boat was moored far away. Next day did a half day tour round Porto then made one of the worst journeys ever by two trains + a coach. We arrived that night feeling fed up, tired, cold & hungry.. Next day the sun shone & we did a day trip to Salamanca in Spain, very enjoyable. Unfortunately we never did sail apart from two short trips between 2 locks. The scenery is dramatic, river winds its way around stunning valleys a few buildings here & there. The boat itself is quite old. Apparently can hold 80 passengers which is way too many for the small dining room & lounge bar. We were a party of 41 so it was adequate. The staff were lovely. The tour guide Tiago was very knowledgable & funny but did struggle to communicate with us when it came to informing us of bad news, guess he did not want to be the bearer of bad tidings but everyone prefers to know the facts. Luckily Saga sent Mary as a kind of trouble shooter & she told us the facts & sorted out a lot of problems.
The cabins are small but satisfactory. The Upper Deck level have a large window, the main deck a small window placed quite high so if you wanted to see our you had to stand on the bed.
Food was fine. Top deck was great for sunbathing with comfortable loungers. Also space under shade if you wanted to stay out of the sun, tables & chairs also comfy.
It was a huge shame that we could not stick to the original schedule & sail from place to place. The reps did their best to find other places of interest to visit but I could not always face yet another long coach journey. Coach a double decker, slippery seats so always on edge of seat, most uncomfortable. Sure this would be a great holiday if weather fine but not so great if port authority refuse to let the boats move

2  Thank sue f
Reviewed 17 January 2016

This company offers tours of different lengths though we took the 45 minute tour between Oporto and Nova Gaia. It was spectacular. They provide headphones and when you are plugged in you have a choice of about 17 different languages from which to choose. The narration describes what you are cruising past. A most enjoyable experience!

1  Thank GlobeTrotting809621
See more reviews
Reviewed 7 January 2016

On our recent visit to Porto, we had the advantage of some very benign weather. This allowed us to purchase a 2 day pass on BlueBus to include 3 features. Unlimited travel on their open top bus (others are available), a river sightseeing trip from the Gaia waterfront, and an hour long visit to the port cellar of Calem. All this for 19 euros,or $21.65 or £14.20, which turned out to be very good value, compared with rates in other European cities, such as London. Porto is a beautiful and interesting city, as long as you are aware that the streets and back-alleys are either straight up or straight down from the central square, Praca da Liberdade. The bus tour last over 2hours and takes you through the city and its suburbs out to the port and along one of the longest promenades in Europe, with the Atlantic surf crashing against it defences. Turning back along the Douro the bus takes you past some of the loveliest apartments that cling to the valley sides, all colour and bustle. The river trip is again about the same time, going first one way up the river to the last of the seven bridges that adorn this river, then back down and out to the bay where the river meets the sea, sheltered by a large breakwater, returning past the extraordinary flats, apartments and homes that line its banks. Finally an hour-long tour of the port cellars of Gaia, only one was open at this time of the year, but its was a fascinating albeit brief look into the history of port wine, including the surprisingly good white port. Enjoy!

2  Thank jollyrobert