“A day trip up the Douro River”
Review of DouroAzul

DouroAzul
Ranked #73 of 178 Tours in Porto
More attraction details
Owner description: DouroAzul is a Portuguese cruising company based on Porto that offers the possibility to cruise the beautiful Douro River Valley landscape, declared a World Heritage Site by UNESCO, from Porto to Barca d'Alva on the Spanish border. DouroAzul offers a wide range of services going from one hour cruises on typical Rabelo boats within the limits of the city of Porto, to seven nights riverboats cruises within the most luxurious and sofisticated ships that navigate the Douro River stream.
Reviewed 11 November 2015

We booked this trip through the Information Office & paid our 60 euros (cash only). 0800 meeting and we departed very promptly. Breakfast was a croissant & fresh bread roll with butter & jam. Perfectly adequate. Am told the coffee was appalling but am not a coffee drinker. Seats inside & out and we settled in for the journey. intermittent commentary in 4 languages. The locks were pretty impressive and quite a feat of engineering (well to a non engineer who has never seen a lock before). The music selection was a little random (Village People, Grease, Frank Sinatra and ?Portugese music...). Lunch was average but edible - a soup, roast for the main and a very yummy dessert. A bottle of wine between 2 was provided - I wouldn't rave about it but it was free. Nice views of the terraces / vineyards as we got further up the Douro. We docked in Regua and had 90 minutes of 'free time'. Now it was a little odd - we wandered up the ramp to a 'tourist information' caravan and asked where we could go to try some Port. There was also a tow - train (the ones that take people who can't (be bothered) walking around tourist attractions or as a kids' ride and you could go on a 'wine tour' for 10 euros. The lady in the tourist information office said there was nowhere we could go to get wine unless we went on the mini-train which would take us to a wine cave. Her English seemed pretty good so I don't think it was lost in translation. We declined and kept walking. Found a nice restaurant next to the train station and spent an enjoyable time trying Port & eating tapas. Local train back to Porto Sao Bento, leaving 445, got in about 7. Overall a good day. It wasn't super flash but this trip is a lot cheaper than many others so I feel it was value for money.

Reviewed 7 November 2015

Just come back from a Saga cruise on the River Douro. Scenery was lovely with the changing colours of the vines making it even more spectacular. The week was packed full of excursions and we were offered port wine almost everywhere we went! The courier, Tiago, was exceptional. The best we have ever encountered. The ship was definitely period, very attractive and the staff good. Food varied and tempting. The only drawback was the "bijou" cabin on the lower level with a tiny window on the waterline, very claustrophobic!. Not really suitable for two people and at times rather chilly. There was a constant damp odour, but to be expected as the cabin was mainly below water. First time on a cruise and have to say would have to think very carefully before booking another one due, mainly, to the very small dark cabin.

1  Thank RobertaSolihull
Reviewed 3 September 2015

Me and my three little children jumped into this bus with the aim of doing some sightseeing and reaching the Porto beach. We sat on the last row of seats since I wanted to keep my kids closed to me. After more than an hour drive accross the city, seeing how the bus stopped from time to time to pick up and drop passengers, we reached the beach. However, to my surprise, the bus did not stop in any of the three bus stops along the coast. I tried to stand up to make myself visible but I did not succeed in any of my attempts. When we got to the port (in the river, so basically the starting point of our journey) the bus finally stopped and we could get out of there. Of course we missed the beach. I talked to the driver, who very rudely told me that I should have told him about my plans when approching to the bus stop. How? there are no push buttons on the bus, there are no instructions around the procedure to make the bus stop, I was never told about this weird procedure when getting on board. First of all, it is a hop-on hop-off bus, it should simply stop in every single stop along the city, that's it. I don't know the city, I might not be sure of the exact place I need to get out, I might decide to hop off as we are on the stop; because this is how this goes. Full stop. Second, it is very dangerous, if not forbidden, to walk along the bus while in movement. Third, how the hell am going to leave three little children alone in their seats, in a bus with no roof or windows, while I pay a visit to the driver to comment on my plans? Should I take them with me while the bus in moving? No way! But again, the worst thing was the driver, how rude he was to us. I will never ever use this hop-on hop-off service again.

3  Thank crisperezp
Reviewed 26 April 2015

Fantastic weather and scenery. Staff and principal Tour manager excellent. Poor attention to moorings with very noisy nights, barking dogs and TWO nights alongside a very noisy night club at Gaia which did not close until 0430. Totally unacceptable for a top quality and top price tour. Food moderate but by no means excellent. This spoiled and otherwise excellent experience.

3  Thank Sir henry E
Reviewed 23 April 2015

The Douro River Valley is well worth the visit. (Plan to spend the whole day.) The hillsides are spectacular. We did not visit the wineries but there were plenty of signs for the wineries. We drove, which might have been a mistake just because we were not used to their road signs, lots of roundabouts and hairpin turns. We made it to Pinhao just in time for the 11:40 train, only to find out that the train was not running that day :( We ended up taking a one hour boat tour which was lovely. Should have done the 2 hour tour. Would recommend a boat tour where they tell you about the area which is fascinating. For instance, the roots for the 150 year old vines go down 90 feet. I only found this out when I went to talk the boat driver. Apparently, we had jumped in on a boat cruise w/tour guide for a French speaking group. Warning, driver said it gets over 100 degrees out there in the summer.

1  Thank pricegals