“Lovely area”
Review of DouroAzul

DouroAzul
Ranked #72 of 180 Tours in Porto
More attraction details
Owner description: DouroAzul is a Portuguese cruising company based on Porto that offers the possibility to cruise the beautiful Douro River Valley landscape, declared a World Heritage Site by UNESCO, from Porto to Barca d'Alva on the Spanish border. DouroAzul offers a wide range of services going from one hour cruises on typical Rabelo boats within the limits of the city of Porto, to seven nights riverboats cruises within the most luxurious and sofisticated ships that navigate the Douro River stream.
Reviewed 7 November 2015

Just come back from a Saga cruise on the River Douro. Scenery was lovely with the changing colours of the vines making it even more spectacular. The week was packed full of excursions and we were offered port wine almost everywhere we went! The courier, Tiago, was exceptional. The best we have ever encountered. The ship was definitely period, very attractive and the staff good. Food varied and tempting. The only drawback was the "bijou" cabin on the lower level with a tiny window on the waterline, very claustrophobic!. Not really suitable for two people and at times rather chilly. There was a constant damp odour, but to be expected as the cabin was mainly below water. First time on a cruise and have to say would have to think very carefully before booking another one due, mainly, to the very small dark cabin.

1  Thank RobertaSolihull

Reviewed 3 September 2015

Me and my three little children jumped into this bus with the aim of doing some sightseeing and reaching the Porto beach. We sat on the last row of seats since I wanted to keep my kids closed to me. After more than an hour drive accross the city, seeing how the bus stopped from time to time to pick up and drop passengers, we reached the beach. However, to my surprise, the bus did not stop in any of the three bus stops along the coast. I tried to stand up to make myself visible but I did not succeed in any of my attempts. When we got to the port (in the river, so basically the starting point of our journey) the bus finally stopped and we could get out of there. Of course we missed the beach. I talked to the driver, who very rudely told me that I should have told him about my plans when approching to the bus stop. How? there are no push buttons on the bus, there are no instructions around the procedure to make the bus stop, I was never told about this weird procedure when getting on board. First of all, it is a hop-on hop-off bus, it should simply stop in every single stop along the city, that's it. I don't know the city, I might not be sure of the exact place I need to get out, I might decide to hop off as we are on the stop; because this is how this goes. Full stop. Second, it is very dangerous, if not forbidden, to walk along the bus while in movement. Third, how the hell am going to leave three little children alone in their seats, in a bus with no roof or windows, while I pay a visit to the driver to comment on my plans? Should I take them with me while the bus in moving? No way! But again, the worst thing was the driver, how rude he was to us. I will never ever use this hop-on hop-off service again.

3  Thank crisperezp
Reviewed 26 April 2015

Fantastic weather and scenery. Staff and principal Tour manager excellent. Poor attention to moorings with very noisy nights, barking dogs and TWO nights alongside a very noisy night club at Gaia which did not close until 0430. Totally unacceptable for a top quality and top price tour. Food moderate but by no means excellent. This spoiled and otherwise excellent experience.

3  Thank Sir henry E
Reviewed 23 April 2015

The Douro River Valley is well worth the visit. (Plan to spend the whole day.) The hillsides are spectacular. We did not visit the wineries but there were plenty of signs for the wineries. We drove, which might have been a mistake just because we were not used to their road signs, lots of roundabouts and hairpin turns. We made it to Pinhao just in time for the 11:40 train, only to find out that the train was not running that day :( We ended up taking a one hour boat tour which was lovely. Should have done the 2 hour tour. Would recommend a boat tour where they tell you about the area which is fascinating. For instance, the roots for the 150 year old vines go down 90 feet. I only found this out when I went to talk the boat driver. Apparently, we had jumped in on a boat cruise w/tour guide for a French speaking group. Warning, driver said it gets over 100 degrees out there in the summer.

1  Thank pricegals
Reviewed 24 August 2014

We did the 5 day tour from Porto to Barca d'Alva and back on the Douro Cruiser. The scenery of river banks is always fantastic, especially upstream from Régua where the terraced vineyards dominate the landscape. For those knowledgeable about Port and Douro wines it is quite thrilling to recognise famous properties. The boat crosses 5 dam locks, each one quite an experience since the boat couldn't be closer to the walls.The buffet meals have very good quality and variety with lots of vegetables and salads. The staff is efficient and helpful. The dinner at Quinta da Avessada was a nice experience, the host being a very good entertainer. All in all a very relaxing and rewarding holiday.

5  Thank Ana P