Lowest prices for your stay
USD 139
View deal
Official websiteUSD 131
PricelineUSD 144
Expedia.comUSD 128
All reviews rooftop pool tapas evening old town quiet street iris bar perfect location junior suite small balcony rain shower few minutes walk beautiful hotel cable car walk in shower top floor happy hour a lovely stay sea front
Selected filters
Reviewed 24 November 2021

This was our second trip to Funchal in 3 months but decided on a city centre hotel for this trip. Fabulous boutique hotel in a perfect location for shops, bar, restaurants, museums galleries and a 10 minute walk to the old town with its streets of restaurants.
We paid extra for a room with a balcony and I had rung the hotel to ask for a high floor which they gave us which had lovely views up to the mountains. Great size room with walk in shower in the bathroom and a small kitchen area with fridge, microwave and hob.
The staff are so pleasant and helpful with any questions and also advised on trips which they will book for you.
The breakfast is plentiful with you picking time slots due to coved restrictions therefore not overly packed, with more than enough choice and eggs being cooked to order if required. The rooftop pool was lovely and even though in the city centre was quiet.
We did have dinner one evening in the hotels Tipografia restaurant which is also open to the public. We went for the set menu at 39.50 euros each and the Portuguese wine at 14.50 euros each. It was definitely fine dining and both food and wine and service. were excellent.
Would I recommend this hotel 100% and can’t wait to come back

Room tip: Ask for a high floor room
Date of stay: November 2021
Sandra Abreu, Vendas at Castanheiro Boutique Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 1 December 2021

Dear Guest,
Thank you very much for having chosen Castanheiro Boutique Hotel for your Holidays and taking the time to write this super wonderful review.
We are thrilled to know that you enjoyed our hotel and all our services. I am delight that the team went above and beyond and helped you to get the most out of your visit. We want all of our guests to have a positive experience and to wish to return.

Reviewed 23 November 2021

Myself and my partner stayed here for 1 week and we had a fantastic time in Funchal, so much so we're already planning our return in a few months time. I hadn't been to Portugal in 22 years, but it's doubtful it will be 22 months before I return here!

Everyone in the hotel was extremely friendly, as was everyone else on Madeira and nothing was too much trouble, they helped also us to arrange a trip on the ferry to Porto Santo. The hotel was very clean with good facilities.

Breakfast is well organised and at the moment you choose a time slot, which you can alter if you wish. A good choice of food, including an a la carte option which is made fresh for you.

The room we stayed in (219) was quiet and overlooked the university, the balcony we had overlooked the university and wasn't overlooked at all with a fantastic view of the mountains and Monte.

We had fantastic weather whilst we were there and I'm sure that was the reason that the pool bar on the roof terrace had remained open which was a nice surprise. We had expected to find it closed (it should have closed on 31.10.2021). The pool was heated and watching the sun set from the roof top hot tub was superb.

Thoroughly recommend this hotel and we will return hopefully in the same room. Thank you for a great week away from the gloom of a British November!

Obrigado!

Trip type: Travelled as a couple
1  Thank I9721EOjamesw

Dear Guest,
We are thrilled to know that you enjoyed our hotel and all our facilities. I am delight that the team went above and beyond and helped you to get the most out of your visit. We want all of our guests to have a positive experience and to wish to return.

Reviewed 23 November 2021

Smashing stay in Funchal , excellent hotel near the cathedral , good for restaurants . Room on first floor wasn't brilliant but okay . Very clean .Used the Heated pool in the basement twice . I felt breakfast was fine , With the pandemic we will all have to queue a bit more Will return ASAP. Recommended .

Trip type: Travelled solo

Dear Guest,
Thank you very much for having chosen Castanheiro Boutique Hotel for your Holidays and taking the time to write this wonderful review.
We are thrilled to know that you enjoyed our hotel. We want all of our guests to have a positive experience and to wish to return.

Reviewed 19 November 2021 via mobile

This hotel has more style than substance. We arrived a couple of hours before our room was ready. We were directed to the roof terrace to wait. It was breezy and not very warm so I came downstairs to wait in one of their many stylish lounges. I asked if I could have a coffee but was told only on the rooftop. This astounded me.
The breakfast arrangements were chaotic. I understand that Covid has created some difficulties but having stayed in 11 different hotel this year I’m used to it. In this hotel the queuing system was kafkaesque one for fruit and cooked food, then a queue for toast and then a queue for drinks. It was impossible to have the food at equal temperature however you managed it. The server who introduced us to the system was so brusque it was like a comedy sketch , most of the rest of the staff were glum apart from a couple who were exceptionally friendly and helpful.
The rooms were clean and functional our balcony was a good size but never received a moment’s sunshine.

Trip type: Travelled as a couple
Sandra Abreu, Vendas at Castanheiro Boutique Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 22 November 2021

Dear guest,
Thank you for having chosen our Castanheiro Boutique Hotel hotel and for your review. I am very sorry to hear about your recent disappointing experience at our Hotel. I am shocked that our standards of service did not reach our usual high level on this occasion.
It is a pitty we couldnt talk properly as I wished about the situation, but you didn´t had time...
I beleive our team was friendly to you as you received a complimentary room upgrade, you found the pool bar too windy and we served you the coffee in your room with no room service tax.
Concerning breakfast arrangement, so far, we didnt received such a negative comment as yours
Our customer, their experiences and enjoyment are of paramount importance to us and i would like to have further contact with you regarding this issue.
Sandra Abreu

Reviewed 18 November 2021 via mobile

Hotel restaurant is very good. Best breakfast for very long time and I have been eating hotel breakfasts a lot.
Roof top swimming pool has a very nice view. Everything is clean. Staff is friendly and polite. We are traveling as a couple with 4 friends.

Room tip: If you come by car, it will be a bit complicated. Streets are very narrow.
Trip type: Travelled with friends

Dear Guest,
We are thrilled to know that you enjoyed our hotel. I am delight that the team went above and beyond and helped you to get the most out of your visit. We want all of our guests to have a positive experience and to wish to return.