Lowest prices for your stay
Hotels.com
USD 84
Free cancellation until 04/02/22
Reserve now, pay at stay
USD 84
Free cancellation until 04/02/22
FindHotel
USD 75
Free cancellation until 02/02/22
PricelineUSD 84
eDreamsUSD 84
TravelocityUSD 84
All reviews curral das freiras great view from the balcony hire car beach holiday swimming pool small balcony public areas nuns jacuzzi tunnel madeira balconies corridor
Selected filters
Reviewed 19 November 2020 via mobile

The Eira do Serrado Hotel was the perfect overnight base for me from which to explore the Nuns Valley.

Unfortunately, I was one of only two guests so, at check-in, I was told there wouldn’t be a buffet breakfast the following morning (understandable) and was asked to tell them what I would like instead. We then played a game where I would mention things I’d probably choose from a buffet and they’d tell me if I could have it. It kinda worked, but it caught me off-guard and I didn’t really ask for what I’d choose. Plus the proportions were all askew!

Then I was told if I wanted the set menu for dinner I would have to make my choices for that too, although curiously not for the quite lengthy à la carte menu (the food was actually pretty good).

Next the sauna, gym and pool - I had to book a slot for the gym (normal in Madeira at the moment), the sauna was closed (every place I’ve stayed seems to have a different sauna rule!) and as for the pool - it was all covered over, and I didn’t have the heart to ask for it be opened up for just me!

My room was very clean and comfortable enough and I had a great view from the balcony. Could do with one or two more power points though.

The gym was poor - a couple of cheap cardio machines and 5 very light (1-3kg) dumbbells. So many hotels do this - clearly it’s only done to tick a box.

On the whole, the hotel felt lifeless - usually, the lights were off and they’d switch things on for me when I appeared - and it was deathly silent. I know it’s so difficult at the moment but I think they should make their minds up about being open as it felt like their hearts just weren’t in it.

The restaurant was set up for a wedding reception (which made it a bit weird to eat in!) - let’s hope it brought them in a bit of money to keep them going :)

Date of stay: November 2020
Trip type: Travelled solo
1  Thank pdmancs
Reviewed 29 February 2020 via mobile

Hotel is far from funchal but up the mountain.make it unique because it have very nice views at rooms.good price and nice personnel.also variety of foods in the restaurant of hotel.we stayed there for two nights and it was almost good

Date of stay: January 2020
Trip type: Travelled as a couple
Reviewed 27 February 2020 via mobile

Stayed for a week at this hotel in February. Loved the view of the mountains and Curral do Freiras from our window. (If you come make sure you take a hike to and from Curral - tiring but very rewarding views) Very clean hotel with nice swimming pool, good size rooms and a really good breakfast. Excellent customer service.

Date of stay: February 2020
Trip type: Travelled as a couple
Reviewed 12 February 2020

We had visited Eira Do Serrado twice before as a day visit and liked the place.
On this visit we decided to spend a night there.
We reached the hotel at 12.30pm. The first thing the receptionist told us was that we were early and the check in time was 2pm. The hotel was nearly half empty and it made no sense to make an unwelcome remark. He proceeded to check us in and without asking how I would like to pay, he took the money of my credit card with which I had guaranteed the booking. He gave me a receipt without asking me to input my pin.
However the location of the hotel is super and the view from the room was breathtaking. All the rooms face the valley which houses Curral das Freiras. There is a scenic view point about half a mile from the hotel, from which you can see the whole of Crurral.
The hotel has a neat swimming pool and jacuzzi which we used. The hotel is isolated. Hence dinner was at the hotel. The menu was limited but the young lad serving us did his best to serve us a simple but enjoyable meal.
Our room was clean and comfortable.
Breakfast was self serve and there were the usual things in plenty but quality of some of the products was lacking.
After checking out, we took the walking path into the valley to reach Crurral. We descended about 1200 ft which took us about an hour. We took the yellow bus back to the hotel where our car was parked.

Room tip: All rooms have a view of the valley
Date of stay: February 2020
1  Thank Shabs593
Reviewed 1 February 2020

It was our third stay here, always in winter and for the purpose of mountain hiking, which the hotel is a perfect base for.
The whole hotel is in rural style which suites it quite well up there in the mountains. It is a quiet and relaxed place. The view is breathtaking, every single time! We never went down to Funchal, because we had everything we wanted and needed up there.
We had a huge room with a huge bath, very tasty furniture. The room was warm, with central heating, which is very important in winter! The bed was very good, not to soft and not to hard, perfekt. It was very quiet in the room, no noices. The hotel is very clean, from the rooms, to the towels, the linen, the bath to the spa area!
The gym is well equipped and everything is in order and works at all times. The Spa area is huge and amazing! After a long hike it is a perfect place to relax and restitution.
The breakfast was very good, lots of different dishes, warm and cold, cereals, fruits, and the croissants were gorgeous!
But best off all is the staff. I actually do not know if I ever had such friendly, kind and helpful stuff. They really make you feel so welcome and for us it felt like our second home.
The restaurant in the hotel was disappointing this year, the chef seemed getting careless and sloppy; the meat was hough every singel time and the rest was sloppy, you never knew what you would get. That is sad for such a nice hotel.

Date of stay: December 2019