“Pretty darn good....”

La Vaca Negra
Ranked #4 of 721 Restaurants in Funchal
Cuisines: Argentinian
Dining options: After-hours, Reservations
Description: We imform our clients that we not open for lunch, and kitchen close at 22:30.. Informamos aos nossos clientes que nao fazemos almoços,e cozinha encerra as 22:00..
Reviewed 6 April 2018

We had driven to the restaurant which, given the stress of driving in Funchal, didn't set us up well after going round in circles looking for a parking spot! Eventually we parked in a holiday suite car park and walked. My Facebook message two weeks before had worked well and our table was waiting.

When you walk in there is no mistaking the purpose or cuisine on offer- the meat is on display on the counter, the fire is blazing away and Marco is in full swing! At the slightest provocation he runs into the back and gets a tomahawk steak to brandish at the newly arrived diner- the theatre is excellent. See the pictures...

Olives and Madeira wine are complimentary whilst three different staff arrive to explain the menu, take the order and deliver bits and pieces. The buzz in the place is exactly right for a steak restaurant although the big sports TV is a bit distracting.

We had an empanada to share for a starter which was very good (2.75) and then a sirloin for my wife (18.50) and a t-bone for me (26.75.) A tray with 3 sauces, chips or baked potato were included. A side salad was 3.25.

Three dips come with the steak- hot chilli, garlic mayonnaise and a garlic/ herb. We had a baked potato with one steak and chips with the other. Both were good but the chips were preferable although we couldn't finish them all.

My wife's steak was superb. My t-bone was very good, but not the best that I have had (that was The Ribroom, Ramside, Durham if you need to know!) The fat around the edge was tough and towards the bone the meat was rare rather than medium- I couldn't eat it. That was because it was such a large cut, I think, and to have got the entire piece medium/rare would have been a miracle.

The entire bill was just over 60euro.

The really difficult part of the evening was parking the car- come in plenty of time if you do not know the area.

Write a ReviewReviews (1,601)

Reviewed 6 April 2018 via mobile

A really lovely atmosphere here, every customer was greeted with a welcome shot. The steak was delicious- we had the T- bone to share. Small venue so worth booking.

Reviewed 5 April 2018

It is a long time since I have tasted a steak this good if I ever have.100% grass fed beef cooked to perfection and very reasonably priced.The staff were attentive and polite without overdoing it.The atmosphere was cordial and the staff were able to joke with the customers while staying professional.
It was a most enjoyable evening and I left the Restaurant completely satisfied.

Reviewed 4 April 2018 via mobile

It is the best place to eat steak, the atmosphere matches the food. Very glad to see it is rated so highly.
We had a mega t-bone. And it was

Reviewed 29 March 2018

We went here 3 times in 10 days. We always ate fillets and were always very very very very good: the taste, the tenderness of the meat (no grease, no nerve).
The staff is very kind, professional and always present to make you more comfortable.
The local is small so it is better to book the table.
Recommended if you like meat, they are specialists.
Simona - Italy