“Fly fishing Madeira Magic”

MadTrout - Madeira Trout Fishing
Ranked #51 of 113 things to do in Funchal
More attraction details
Recommended length of visit: More than 3 hours
Owner description: Trout fishing in Madeira’s inland waters Experient trout anglers are ready to pick you at the hotel and drive you to the best stream and the best trout hot spot in the island. You will be dazzeled by the beauty of our mountain streams sorrounded by laurissilva forest.
Reviewed 13 May 2016

My guide Paulo picked me up from my hotel in Funchal as arranged for a four hour session of fly fishing in a North Island mountain stream. Paulo is a great guide, very friendly and helpful and conversation to and from the fishing was easy and relaxed. After an hours scenic drive we arrived at the stream with numerous pools full of small rainbow trout. All equipment, including flies was supplied and Paulo offered advice on the best places to cast while he took photos and video. I lost count of the fish I caught. This was a very different experience of fly fishing and I enjoyed clambering over boulders and rocks to reveal the next pool teaming with fish. The fish are small, the tackle light and the experience fantastic. If you're into fishing and adventure you must try this experience. I hope to return in the future. Thank you Paulo

2  Thank Leo S
in 3 reviews
"madeira"
in 5 reviews

Reviewed 29 October 2015 via mobile

On 26th October I experienced a wonderful day's trout fishing with my guide Jaoa Mota from Madeira Trout in a remote valley in the North of the island. I lost count of the dozens of rainbows I caught. Although small they present great sport on light tackle readily taking nymph or dry fly. This is pocket water fishing so be prepared to scramble over rocks and move on upstream at regular intervals. If you are after fat selective feeders targeted from a manicured bank wearing carpet slippers then this is not for you. This is borderline commando fishing for small fish. I used a 6'6" 3wt rod but this is also Tenkara country but I think a shorter Tenkara rod would be easier to manage. As for the guide service, Jaoa provided everything I wanted in a guide. An excellent companion for the day, always helpful in his advice but also happy to let me do my own thing. He picked me up at my hotel in Funchal at 9.00 and we left the stream at 18.00 as darkness began to fall. All in all a great day out.

4  Thank GraemeM183
Reviewed 30 March 2015

We loved the service.
The guides are always looking to fill the fisher needs, being catching more fish or making us aware of the extraordinary beauty of the island.
If you're an experienced fisherman, you'll love the way this wild trout from Madeira island fight.
Thumbs up for MadTrout!

4  Thank Alberto N
Reviewed 17 December 2014

Faultless day out (though Paulo had to go back to the car to turn the lights off). A dream day, hiking/wading up the narrow Seixchal valley. The little stream is a delight to fish: pool after pool after textbook pool, and every one stuffed with fish. Too easy? Perhaps, but this was the day that made up for the bad ones. Great scenery and a great companion in Paulo who unobtrusively pointed out and informed. Recommended without a shadow of a doubt.

5  Thank Mossy55