“Try this place.”
Review of Casal Da Penha

Casal Da Penha
Reserve with
Casal Da Penha is not available for your requested time. Choose another time, or search restaurants with availability.
The time you selected has already passed.
Ranked #27 of 710 Restaurants in Funchal
Price range: USD 23 - USD 28
Dining options: Dinner, Lunch, Breakfast, After-hours, Reservations
Dining options: Dinner, Lunch, Breakfast, After-hours, Reservations
Reviewed 24 March 2018 via mobile

I booked a table based on reviews and was not disappointed. The piri piri squid was a revelation, I love squid and this is the best I have ever eaten, tender, succulent and the sauce was so flavoursome. The boss started with piri piri prawns and said they were good too. Then I had lamb chops and she opted for the fish stew, again excellent. House wine was very nice. As we left we decided to book a table for two nights later, I was impressed by the way the patron had remembered my name as he took the booking.

We arrived two days later and straightaway he said “welcome back, I’ve given you a different table to last time”, very welcoming, this place takes service seriously. We both had the peri peri squid to start this time, the boss pronounced it better than the prawns, I rate it as one of the five best things I’ve ever eaten. Then I went for Zarzuela, a sort of shellfish stew served with rice, I chose it because I’d seen someone else have it on my previous visit, absolutely delicious. The boss had a “perfect “ sea bass.

I’ve eaten at Rick Stein’s, I prefer this place.

1  Thank Erylthinks
Write a ReviewReviews (1,487)

Reviewed 22 March 2018 via mobile

There were 6 of us and each of us thoroughly enjoyed our meals. But the service was mixed. One of our party asked for two starters to be served at same time with everyone’s main course. Unfortunately there was a “communication” problem between the staff and one starter arrived but not rest of food. We waited over an hour for food. The wine list took over 30 minutes and so on. Some of the staff need a refresher in customer service! Others were very good.

Reviewed 21 March 2018

Arrived on spec early evening, got a table no problem but the restaurant was almost full by the time we left. The staf were a delight, extremely friendly. My husband had the fish soup which was delicious and we both had the steak on skewers to follow. The meat was cooked to perfection, so tender. Sadly didn’t have dessert as too full. We would definitely recommend with out hesitation.
I agree with the review that thought the lighting could be less harsh.

Reviewed 18 March 2018 via mobile

I visited this evening with my partner and 18-month-old son. The food was very good and the service was friendly. The fish stew was a particular highlight. The service was relaxed, which was welcome until it came to the end of our meal when it was a bit difficult to catch the attention of the staff. Also, the baby highchair didn't have a table, which meant our son needed more help feeding himself than normal. Only minor negatives to the best restaurant we have visited in Funchal.

Reviewed 16 March 2018 via mobile

We came here and ordered food for take away. The portions were large, the food was fresh and tasty, and everyone was really friendly... Will come again. Fully recommended...