“A little gem of a restaurant”
Review of Casal Da Penha

Casal Da Penha
Reserve with
Casal Da Penha is not available for your requested time. Choose another time, or search restaurants with availability.
The time you selected has already passed.
Ranked #26 of 669 Restaurants in Funchal
Price range: USD 24 - USD 31
Dining options: Lunch, After-hours, Dinner, Breakfast, Reservations
Dining options: Lunch, After-hours, Dinner, Breakfast, Reservations
Reviewed 21 September 2017

After being warmly greeted by friendly staff, all of whom spoke fluent English, we were shown to our table on the first floor terrace.

The menu contained a large selection of fresh pasta, meat and fish and the wine list full of Douro's best.

Write a ReviewReviews (1,315)

Reviewed 20 September 2017 via mobile

Had the Sea Bass as the fish of the day which was very delicious.
My girlfriend had the salmon with champagne sauce which was good too.

Good service, all in all we were very happy!

Reviewed 19 September 2017 via mobile

Found the place by accident, place was busy but they found is a table I the balcony I chose the Steak on the Stone wow 1/2 kg. Fresh veg or salad with potatoes or chips steak great as was the sides.The good lady had Sea Bream same side choices huge serving and she says wonderful Jug of water large beer and 1/2 bottle of house wine €45 service vg. The waitress explained about the fish pricing.Overall great experience

Reviewed 16 September 2017 via mobile

This is the best restaurante in madeira for me. Very good staff amazing food and very good wine selection. Once again the best for me! Thank you for all!!!!!!!!

Reviewed 14 September 2017

We went to this restaurant for two reasons, the first because it was round the corner from our hotel, the second because we had observed from the terrace of the neighbouring bar, that all the tables were reserved every evening and it was impossible to just drop in. Unfortunately, when that observation was made, it was before dinner started and we therefore didn't see the clouds of flies that plague the diners through the evening as they try to eat their food.

So we booked a table. The menu, much the same as most menus in Funchal was slightly more expensive and also slightly more dated - Prawns in Avocado, Beef Stroganoff, Dover Sole, Steak Diane - I'm surprised that Black Forest Gateaux wasn't listed as a pudding for a complete 1970's/early 80's menu.

The first thing we noticed upon getting to the restaurant which was already busy, was the sheer number of flies buzzing around !!!! We had already eaten in several places during our stay and never encountered one fly, let alone hoards of them - buzzing around every table!!

I asked the waitress for a description of their Chateaubriand dish ... she was uninformed, told me that it was simply the way they sliced the steak and that there is no sauce. Anybody who knows their (retro) food knows that the whole point of that dish, is the cut of the meat (sirloin), the sauce and the way it is cooked and served. So I chose the beef stroganoff, not having seen it on a menu since c.1984 when I was growing up in my parents restaurant. My husband chose Tuna. On reflection I wish I had chosen the steak on a slab but I felt it was an overpriced gimick at the time and again, having been informed that this was fillet steak, I could quite clearly see that it was not fillet but probably rump. (this could be a language thing though)

The Stroganoff and the tuna arrived. My husband reported that his tuna was not as nice as the tuna he had had in another restaurant - Londres - and my stroganoff was overcooked and dry, the sauce was thin and watery. I was very disappointed as the dryness made the dish unpalatable and I didn't finish it all. Batting away flies every 3 seconds didn't help!

For pudding we had Tiramisu as it's one of our favourite desserts. Unfortunately, this also failed on several levels - no coffee, no alcohol ... it simply was not authentic. A disappointing end to a disappointing meal and my husband had indigestion for the whole of the following day.

In conclusion - lots of English people there, not many locals - make of that what you will. Service was pleasant depending on your waiter, but some staff were very un-knowledgable about what they were serving, and WHERE did all those flies come from ? The worst, yet most expensive meal we had in Funchal. Not recommended but for the terrace view.

MaikelF, Manager at Casal Da Penha, responded to this reviewResponded 15 September 2017

Dear guest.
First of all let me thank you for your review its with good and bad reviews that we try to improve.
We apologize you did not had an amazing time with us but some of your coments seems a bit harsh.
First as you said the restaurant was busy and the numbers of good reviews in TA must say something.
On the food I appologize you did not like your stroganoff but I can guarantee that it is fillet and not rump as we only use fillet, second we are sorry that our server wasn't able to describe the chateaubrian, althoug she is new in the place it should not hapen and let me tell you it was going to be a treat, fresh fillet and not sirloin Just sealed outside served medium rare or just rare with fresh bernaise sauce on the side.
On another subject the flies that you talk about.
Just for you to imagine how unusual this is I remember this evening very well it was a very hot day and outside there was in fact some flies but you could always stay in our main dinning room were no flies were.
On a final stayment let me tell you that we stand by our Chef and our food and although we have some "Classic dishes" that you describe as dated we also have dishes that are trendy and authentic you read the menu and you wrote here those diabra that you knew and you do not give an accurate impretion for those who read your coment.
Well i'll apologize again and we take the chance to invite you to come back to try maybe the chateaubriand or another dish that you didn't had before,
I'm sure we won't dissapoint you again.