“The cobbled streets of Bairro Alto with Zuzabed”
Review of B&B Zuzabed

We can't find prices for this accommodation
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this accommodation, but we can search other options in Lisbon
B&B Zuzabed
Ranked #15 of 262 Lisbon B&B and Inns
Reviewed 24 June 2017

Another journey  to  the city of light, Lisbon! Always fun with great weather,great food  ,great people....

And when we are making our accommodation  plans, We just say and stay with  Zuza and know it's going to be as close to perfection as you can get. No worries , just arrive and you will be greeted by the very capable hands of Luis and his Zuza team.Throughout your stay you are taken care of with genuine smiles  and caring.Its what  sets Zuzabed apart from other places we've  stayed in the world.

We wanted to be in the thick  of the action for the famous June festas  so we looked no further than the Bairro Alto apartment. Bairro  Alto  is a fascinating area with lots of old cobbled  streets,lanterns that light  your way at night which is so romantic  and  charming.
What  is appealing  is having  no stairs for those  with creaky knees and  being housed in an authentic  styled apartment with real people ,a local Portuguese  neighborhood. Talk  about instant immersion....we were part of all the little tables and chairs  lined up with grills cooking sardines , the intense  smells of  homemade  cooking  in the  street,colorful  streamers decorating  the narrow alleyways  , music and oh what fun loaded with people singing,dancing , socializing. Suddenly we were the  new kids on the block and partopart of  a block party.

.Nevertheless  the location is so central, so close to restaurants, shops,grocery and of course the attractions and sights.No need for a car or a bus,just walk and it's a tour in itself to try different routes in this picturesque  district.

The  apartment  is on a ground floor and houses a living room with pull out sofa,a dining area off of the kitchen, washer, bedroom down the hallway and a very cute little personal patio with table and chairs and yes a clothesline!.Wow what atmosphere and a deeply rooted tradition,   looking up into a sky of all the Portuguese  clothesline  and buildings!! You get all the flavors of life  and it's rhythmn  here.Comfy bed and little window to watch  passerbys or to shut for privacy. I especially  love the front door that can be half open if you  like .We enjoyed listening to the cadence  of the Portuguese  language and other languages too.
Zuza  has the fridge stocked to get you started  so it's great not having to schlep off to a grocer immediately. Housekeeping  is always available  and kept everything  tidy and clean during our stay with plenty of towels.

One of our highlights  whenever  we stay is meeting up with  Luis and his team to chat and gather more information  about the city and Portugal  as a whole.We live to spend our days  on day trips or ongoing exhibitions,events etc.  The staff  are a wealth of information  and better than any guide book  you can buy.Theres the  trusty Zuza   App if we get lost.

Additionally, Ana, Diego and Luis share lots of great places you'd never find on your own.The hospitality is just  outstanding  and nothing is ever  a bother.Its always  comforting  to know you aren't alone in the big city.
Even when it's time to leave,one of the team members  will schedule  a taxi for you or help with other forms of transport.Service with a smile!!!
It's always a pleasure  to stay with Zuzabed and to write another beaming review  that is so well deserved. Hats off to Luis and his team for being consistently reliable,accommodating and friendly.   We believe Zuzabed offers the very best hospitality one can  want.  We consider  it our home away from home and can't imagine  staying anywhere  else in Lisbon.We look forward to a future stay at one of the many Zuzas because we already know,it'll be special.

Room Tip: Every room is individual and unique
  • Stayed: June 2017, travelled with family
3  Thank Daphnenero

Reviewed 24 June 2017

The property is well located for sightseeing and night life. The apartment itself was large and comfortable with all of the modern conveniences. Luis and his staff were great! The app was helpful, but the staff were always available to answer any questions and give recommendations. I would definitely stay here again.

Stayed: June 2017, travelled as a couple
Review collected in partnership with this hotel
2  Thank cherylnigel2015
ZUZABED, Owner at B&B Zuzabed, responded to this reviewResponded 26 June 2017

Goooood morning dears Cheryl & Nigel,

Thank you so much for accepting your family suggestion to contact us for your special celebration in Lisbon. Was a pleasure to meet you and although during such a busy time of the year in Lisbon - Lisbon St. Anthony Festivities - I'm happy to know you had a wonderful time staying with us here in Lisbon city center.
You do have the ZUZA spirit and you’ll be always most welcome and we look forward to host you again at the Zuzabed Lisbon Suites for the next Anniversary

All my best regards wishing you all happy travels,

Reviewed 20 June 2017

Last January I made a birthday surprise to my husband and took him to this hotel. The location is perfect with all kinds of restaurants and bars just a few minutes away and as the same time we have this quiet and lovely place that feels like home! Thank you Luís and Luís! See you soon!!

• Stayed: January 2017, travelled as a couple
1  Thank Ana S
ZUZABED, Owner at B&B Zuzabed, responded to this reviewResponded 22 June 2017

Good afternoon dear Ana,

I thank you so much for the kind words and I'm happy to know the ZUZABED LISBON SUITES were the perfect place for you to spend the special day of your lives.
At ZUZA we do like to make our Guests feel at home and to do everything helping them to have the best stay possible in Lisbon city center!

We look forward to have the chance to host you again in the future.

All my best regards,

Reviewed 15 June 2017

We have stayed in a suite of ZuzaBed in Lisbon for 4 nights. The apartment is great, everything is there. The location is even better! Right in the middle of the center of Lisbon. We have done everything by foot
Luis is a great host, he gave us a lot of information about the city.
Every day there was a fresh breakfast in the fridge and every morning fresh bread.
We promised to come back to Lisbon and then we will sleep with Luis again!

Stayed: June 2017, travelled with friends
Review collected in partnership with this hotel
1  Thank christa_zegers
ZUZABED, Owner at B&B Zuzabed, responded to this reviewResponded 26 June 2017

Hello dear Christa,

Thank you so much for the time you took to write your lines sharing your ZUZA experience with all readers! :-)
I'm pleased to read that you had a wonderful time staying at the so comfortable Zuzabed Lisbon Suites and found the apartment a great one ideal for your 4 nights and the service/hospitality provided the ideal one. At ZUZA we like to make our guests to feel at home helping everyone to enjoy this A.M.A.Z.I.N.G. city much as possible. It's true that our location is SUPER :-) and from there it's possible to walk everywhere day & night to explore this beautiful city or simply going out for dinner.
I'm happy to know I will have the pleasure to host you back in the future and knowing that you are now already part of the ZUZA Family, of course you'll be always most welcome to stay at one of my Accommodations! I'll be here with my arms wide open waiting for you to say welcome to Zuza! :-)

All my kind regards and see you soon.

Reviewed 12 June 2017 via mobile

Booked a B&B at Zuza after being recommended from a friend and checking Tripadvisor. Ended up in a Zuzabed appartment in Baira Alto, rua Lux Soriano 116. It was a disaster. Dark like a dungeon, an extremely poor bed, a bathroom with mold and extremely noisy. We booked 5 nights but have left after one night to stay in a hotel, being extremely disappointed. We have not requested any money back, nor have been offered any. We have informed Zuzabed we were leaving after booking the Santa Justa hotel, as I lost all confidence in Zuzabed over our stay. Likely our friend stayed in another property as listed on Tripadvisor. Make sure to get the proper appartment.

Stayed: June 2017, travelled with family
1  Thank Gert1965
ZUZABED, Owner at B&B Zuzabed, responded to this reviewResponded 22 June 2017

At ZUZA we do have several kinds of accommodation in order to satisfy all kind of travelers but of course even knowing that, Zuzabed isn't for the likes of everyone, as everything in life. Not everybody likes yellow!!!

Reading your review came as a shock! Why? I know I can't please everyone but outright lying is not acceptable. It smacks of slander against my name.

To clarify readers, remember, that it was you that had chosen this particular apartment. You didn’t book the B&B and it was not our decision to place you in there as your review suggests. This apartment you have chosen to book is a typical cottage style house very commonly found in the Bairro alto district (one of the oldest districts of Lisbon). The fishermen lived here and the working families, hence the small compact size and style which is very common on the narrow streets of the Bairro. Lots of Guests look for this kind of accommodation to immerse themselves into the everyday city life/culture.
When you called us on June 12th, after one night sleeping, Diego, from Zuza Team (same person you met at check-in) immediately contacted you. After you had expressed your unhappiness, he quickly offered to move you to another location and which you promptly rejected that possibility stating that you were just informing us that you had already booked another hotel to move into. You made that decision prior to talk with us thus not allowing us to find a solution as we always do.

I want to tell you that I was listening to the recording of the phone call conversation between you and Diego and on the phone call you clearly said, “no refund necessary/I’m not looking for refund, I’m just informing you that we are leaving”, when you opted to move to another hotel. Diego, clearly asked if there was something we could do for you, or changing your mind to leave and you said “that there is nothing you can do for us, I’ve talked with my wife and we have decided to book another hotel”. I took you at your word. If given the chance, we would have been happy to show you other available accommodations and discussed a possible refund package (an option that you clearly said that was not what you were looking for). Unfortunately, you chose not to do this and wrote a scathing review in the very same day with the intent to harm my business. I resent this action.

Regarding noise, yes staying in the heart of the city comes with noise... all kinds of city sounds, voices, music, cars and not to forget that you were travelling in the busiest and most festive time/weekend of the year in Lisbon!!!

I do believe that TA is a great forum where travelers should express their travel experiences but I believe it should be used with honesty (from both sides) stating the real situation showing also how owners must deal with the situation. Unfortunately, your review clearly wanted to show “the negatives” and in any second you were able to tell the world that we wanted to help you and you rejected that possibility.

The toilet seat unfortunately has become loose which I apologize for this. It was just a matter of screw tightening, which we did. It has been corrected since. As for the “mold” in the bathroom, I had a professional take a look at it and the findings were simply mildew and our housekeeping will continue to address this issue. With all my honesty, I have to say that right after “your stay” other Guests (in their 50’s) stayed there and raved about the apartment. Obviously, it’s a personal preference and makes us all individual. Once again I’m sorry that you did not allow us to handle this matter for you. It would have been my greatest pleasure to offer you an alternative ZUZA Apartment to your liking instead of the one you had chosen to stay in.
About the bed, with all my honesty I can tell you that quite often Guests staying in this apartment mention the comfortable mattress and good night sleep knowing the bedroom is in the back of the apartment. Anyway, I can understand that sometimes, when travelling we find differences on mattresses, different from what we used to sleep in our own homes. I include myself in this group.

I only regret I was unable to meet you in person during your brief stay. I would have been more than happy to work with you towards securing a suitable accommodation. You failed to give me this chance and instead, immediately ran to TA forum which cannot help you with a change of accommodation and more; only attempt to slander my business. By doing this you’ve closed all chances to do so.

Still, I wish you the best of times in my beautiful city and hope you can enjoy and soak in the culture and the gorgeous natural light and festivities that abound during this special time of the year. Best wishes.

I remain sincerely yours,