“The staff is awful”

VIP Executive Diplomatico Hotel
Ranked #199 of 253 Hotels in Lisbon
Reviewed 16 July 2010

Stayed here three nights. This is run down and old compared to other options at the same price in better locations. The elevator is downright scary. A large group of us were in town for a major event and this place was bottom of the barrel amongst all of our friends. Our friends all paid about the same and stayed at way better, more modern places than this by the exhibition grounds. We chose this place because it looks close to barrio alto on the expedia map. It's not. In fact, it isn't really close to anything worthwhile.

During our visit, the front desk sent us merrily walking up a steep hill to a closed restaurant, sent us to what turned out to be a known and notoriously slummy (among the locals) part of the beach on overcrowded public transportation, and suggested a nightclub where a friend (also a guest of this hotel) was robbed and beaten. Upon returning from the robbing and beating incident, front desk staff, despite speaking OK English, made no effort to communicate with the Portuguese people we needed to work with (we don't speak Portuguese).

Next beef - we purchased wifi access and were given a card with a username and password. Which the maid stole or threw away while we were out. Upon telling our amigos at the front desk, they grudgingly replaced our access card with a total of three non-working cards. We finally got a username with like 12 minutes of access despite paying for two hours. Losing a few buck is no big deal. Running up and down stairs for twenty minutes trying to figure this out in the process of losing a few bucks was infuriating.

Next- these guys have actual, metal keys for the rooms that they will not let you take out of the hotel. So, you have to ask the wonderful staff to have the key to your room every time you come back. I felt like I was asking my dad for something.

• Stayed: June 2010, travelled with friends
3  Thank mparallel
There are newer reviews for VIP Executive Diplomatico Hotel

Reviewed 9 May 2010

This is a nice hotel. I was so fortunate as to have a room at the back, facing the courtyards and not the road. "Sound Proof Rooms" as mentioned in descriptions (found on other websites) however do not really exist, unless this is available for business meeting rooms only. At several times, I was woken up by people in the next room having a shower or flushing the toilet. In the mornings it was the cleaners making a noise in the hallway.
All in all, it was decent, clean and the staff nice. Room was spacious. There was a kettle and cups for making tea, a telly and a small balcony. All rooms are air-conditioned.
Wireless Internet access was available, but had to be paid for. I found it at €3.00/1hr, €5.00/24hrs and €10.00/3 days fairly expensive, though. I agree with previous reviews that it does not really deserve the 4 star rating as the hotel does need some TLC.

• Stayed: May 2010, travelled as a couple
1  Thank Mark G
Reviewed 4 May 2010

I stayed at the VIP Diplomatico Hotel for three nights at the end of April/beginning of May with my girlfriend.

We had been due to visit Lisbon a couple of weeks before staying at the Residential Alegria, but had to cancel due to volcanic ash. We were unable to rebook at the Residential Alegria as it was full (and we lost the cost of one nights accommodation) but were able to get a double room at the VIP Diplomatico. We paid 52 Euros a night, as part of a promotion they were running.

If you are thinking about staying at the VIP Diplomatico then don’t be fooled by the website, grand name or it’s four star rating. It is a rather dated hotel, with old fashioned and tired furnishings, worn carpets and an old style lift. The bed was also two singles pushed together, which I know causes a problem for some people.

The bedroom had a TV with a number of English channels, limited tea and coffee making facilities, a mini-bar and a safe (which I believe you had to pay extra for). The staff were helpful and spoke good English. We didn’t have breakfast or use the bar, so I can’t comment on that.

It is a good 25 minute walk to the centre of Lisbon (potentially longer depending upon where you were going). It is well placed for buses and the metro, but we found it somewhat inconvenient and too far out for our liking.

We would also laugh as we walked past the very grand looking Sofitel hotel on Avenida da Liberdade as it had the same four star rating as the dated VIP Diplomatico! Whilst there is nothing particularly wrong with the VIP Diplomatico, I don't believe it deserves a four star rating. I would stay there again, but I would try and find somewhere more central first.

I would also suggest that if you are expecting luxury or modern facilities that you look elsewhere. However, if you are able to get a good rate and don’t mind being some way out of the centre then this could be the place for you. Just don’t expect too much.

• Stayed: May 2010, travelled as a couple
2  Thank Staines27
Reviewed 29 April 2010

I thought this was going to be just another anonymous business-type hotel, but it’s got more personality than that. A huge room with a large bath, and a comfortable bed, helpful staff (for getting laundry done, dealing with my post, giving advice, etc..), good breakfast, small, friendly, English type bar, large hall with comfortable armchairs and computer where you can read your email (you have to pay, but it isn’t much), well adapted to people with mobility problems, I’d guess (large lifts, wide corridors, the only few steps have a ramp next to them). Also a good position. Not at all expensive, at least in November. For some reason I went for the “not including breakfast” option when I booked, but it turned out to be a good thing, as one day I had to leave early (to go on a tour to Sintra), and on the others I could just pay for breakfast on the spot. I hope to go back to Lisbon, and if I do I’ll stay here again.

• Stayed: November 2009, travelled solo
1  Thank ELear
Reviewed 15 January 2009

...only if you're not extremely exigent....

i went to Lisbon to meet my mom.I checked-in before her (we were coming from different places and the reservation was on her name and credit card) so people made life hard to me despite the fact that the manager had told the stuff that i would arrive before my mom,but i managed to solve the problem.

i choose an appart in the 9th floor (big enough for 4people,we were 3)...the view was ok...the bedroom was big...the living room had one of those "bed-sofas" for two people to sleep in it. (so a double bedroon and the living room for a maximum of 4people).
the toilet was nice and tidy.
the kitchen was incredibly small...but it had a microwave-oven, a normal oven,a dishwasher,and some other kitchen stuff...
the TV was a flat-screen like a plasma but smaller...with a good range of DSTV or Cable TV channels and wireless available.
The swimming fool and the restaurant are at the top floor of the hotel...its wonderful!!!!

This hotel gave me a felling of a second house because i had a kitchen available for my simple stuff like preparing breakfast or a late meal while surfing on the internet...and i also had a good feeling of privacy...no noise at all...just dont expect loads of attention...they give u complete privacy...is like staying in a condominium...but the reception desk is helpful.

and the hotels is located in a good area....near the metro, buses,restaurants and shopping center...

• Stayed: October 2008
    • Check-in / front desk
    • Business service (e.g., internet access)