“Short Break in Lisbon”
Review of The House

The House
Ranked #42 of 262 Lisbon B&B and Inns
Reviewed 8 April 2017

My husband and I have recently had a four night break in Lisbon staying in The House.
Please do not be put off by negative comments, we were in the Library room and yes it is small, but ideal for a few nights and absolutely no smell from the bathroom.
The staff are very helpful and friendly, the view from the Terrace is amazing and we were lucky enough to have breakfast on the terrace one morning. Breakfast is simple, fresh and delightful, if you like a cooked option you are offered eggs.
We certainly would have no reservations returning. Ideal position in a quiet area, 10minute walk to nearest Metro and couple of minutes to the Tram Stop for the 28. Thankyou

• Stayed: March 2017, travelled as a couple
fcpcc1, Owner at The House, responded to this reviewResponded 10 April 2017

Dear Maureen,

Thank you for your kind words. We are pleased to hear we were able to make the Library's room a pleasant option for our guests again, the intervention was successful then.

It was a pleasure to have you with us and hopefully a new opportunity for us to meet will arise soon!

All the best to your family,
Francisco Cansado Carvalho

Reviewed 4 April 2017 via mobile

The first thing i think about when insee the name of this place is the amazing view you have on the roof of this B&B. You can see the whole city around you and relax in some very comfortable chairs.
The rooms and breakfaqt are excellent aswell!

Stayed: July 2016, travelled with family
Reviewed 23 March 2017

the HOUSE hotel is a very clean and comfortable b&b close to Basilica da Estrella, the owner and personnel are very kind and friendly, they do their utmost to make people to feel at home with lots of careful information, the terrace on the top is fantastic, you can have a rest or have a drink . Our room was quite, bright, spacious and clean - the only 'negative' note is about breakfast, I found it a little bit poor, but for the price we paid, it was ok nevertheless

• Stayed: March 2017, travelled with friends
fcpcc1, Owner at The House, responded to this reviewResponded 25 March 2017

Dear Giovanna,

First of all, it was our pleasure to host you!

We are very pleased to hear you felt so comfortable at TheHOUSE, that is indeed our main concern.

Thank you very much for the feedback you gave us. We are certainly taking it into account in order to improve our service, in particular the breakfast. Maybe in the weekend things did not go as well as we had planned, but we will definitely work on it.

Once again, we thank you for your preference and sincerely hope there will be another chance for us to meet in the future!

Best regards,
Francisco Cansado Carvalho

Reviewed 13 January 2017

We stayed in The House for 3 days and it was the worst hotel experience, ever.

1. The room. We booked room titled 'Library', and found some visitors reminded the following visitors that the bathroom is smelly, so I wrote to the owner regarding the problem and he CONFIRMED that the problem was SOLVED. BUT, actually, of course not, the smell of the bathroom (let alone the bathroom is right next to the bed! give the tiny size of the room!) kept company with us for three days, I was not able to sleep and felt that I lived in a toilet.

2. The Room, tiny, tiny tiny tiny, basically it's a bed, that's it. Honestly if the price is the same with the Youth Hotel, it's fine.. we take it, but the price is not that cheap!

3. Breakfast, horrible, not many choices, it's like hell compared to the B&B I stayed in Barcelona, and the price is actually comparable!

4. Sudden Electronic Power Off -- we experienced this ACCIDENT at 10 pm in the evening, heating is off, no wifi, it's total darkness! We called the hotel owner several times according to the "EMERGENCY NUMBER" he left at the reception, but was not able to reach him! My husband and I had to go out searching for external help. Luckily after about 40 minutes, a holland couple who also stayed in the hotel reached the owner. It took another hour for him to send someone to come and fix the problem. ITS NOT SAFE! and Please, if it's an emergency call, pick your phone!

5. Terrible Cleaner -- well it's rather trivial compared with the things above, but the cleaner would put the dirty cushion which you could see the stain on them and was on the floor before, onto the bed...

It's a terrible stay, or rather we are unlucky, but it simply fell unpleasant everyday after a day of walking.

The hotel owner gave us half refund, thanks for your sincerity, but it can not compensate this terrible experience.

Room Tip: if you really want to go, don't book the Library room
  • Stayed: October 2016, travelled as a couple
5  Thank fox_yue_hu
fcpcc1, Owner at The House, responded to this reviewResponded 9 May 2017

Dear Tripadvisor community,

Concerning fox_yue_hu's review of TheHOUSE Lisboa, I need to clarify the following: it did not happen like this but, none the less, we are sorry they did not have a nice stay. We always are when the guests don't like it here.

The problem is that they thought we had given them the wrong information concerning the bathroom and had "tricked them" into coming when, in fact that was not the case. Because they refused to accept our explanation, everything from then on was terrible. For those of you that might not find it interesting enough, I will just say that, finally, we no longer have issues of any kind in this room bathroom (it did take us much more time than we liked but, because we do not own the building, there is a limit to what we could do before); for those that do want to know how everything happened, I will address the 2 important questions separately:

1) most importantly, the question concerning the emergency phone: we are not a hotel and do not have reception 24h/day; this does not mean that we are not available when away from the hotel, quite the contrary. I am not going to go into the details because certain informations are for our guests only but I always have my phone with me and I live 2 minutes from the hotel; most of our staff is within 15 minutes on foot; finally, on check-in, we give all the information that the guests need on how to reach us. Many have; in fact, this is the first time someone makes this allegation.
Addressing the allegation that I was not available that evening, I do not know exactly what these guests did, and was unable to find out given their permanent attitude of refusing to speak and understand us. The guests did not tell me or any member of my staff about this when they were here. What I can say is that I was in a theatre, got a call from our lovely dutch guests, exited the play immediately and made my way to the hotel, despite them telling me everything was all right and that I need not hurry back. Because I was in the Expo district, I called one of my staff members living nearby so that he would be able to address the situation. I had no record of any previous calls but, from the moment I got the call to the problem being fixed it took 15 minutes. This was above average but, in my opinion, still a reasonable reply on our part for an event late at night.

2) In what concerns the bathroom smell, it is true that these guests wrote us beforehand concerned with it. Unlike their claims, we never told them everything was perfect but we did tell them, and it was true, that even though we were unsure that the problem had been solved (as it most definitely is now), we had found a temporary fix that seemed to be working but were still unsure as to when we would get clearance from the building's owners to do a more through intervention. We suggested they take a different room if they were concerned, they did not want to. The guests immediately before and after them were asked about it and did not complain and I personally slept there a week later, when the room was available. In the evening everything was ok, in the morning there was a faint odour but nothing very serious, certainly nothing worthy of a refund. Even so, and despite their most difficult and permanent attitude, I refunded them because they had not been happy here and they might have had some reason. Not being one for political correctness or corporate gibberish, I can say that I very much regret it.

The rest of it, the cleaning and the breakfast etc... is a matter of opinion, you can find hundreds of commentaries online that, fortunately for us, go 100% against this. Because of this I won't go into it. As for the room being small, I not only confirm it (it is, after all, written on our website from day one), but thank this reviewer for the pictures. They do seem to show the room as it is, even if they do not do justice to the fantastic view.

One final note to say that all this time we could have changed the room's name a number of times and get rid of the problem temporarily by avoiding these questions and pretending that it was always something different, a new problem. We never did, and we always answered every question seriously and frontally. Even so, and with this problem finally solved, I would like to apologize to all the guests that experienced it.

Best regards,
Francisco Carvalho

Reviewed 25 October 2016

Nice area away from hustle and bustle yet close to everything you need. Public transport one min walk to team. Nice room, fabulous views from rooftop terrace, great hosts with lots of helpful tips and info.

• Stayed: October 2016, travelled as a couple