“Smelly Bathroom, Tiny Room, Sudden Electronic Power Off, Terrible Breakfast. Half refunded”
Review of The House

The House
Ranked #40 of 262 Lisbon B&B and Inns
Reviewed 13 January 2017

We stayed in The House for 3 days and it was the worst hotel experience, ever.

1. The room. We booked room titled 'Library', and found some visitors reminded the following visitors that the bathroom is smelly, so I wrote to the owner regarding the problem and he CONFIRMED that the problem was SOLVED. BUT, actually, of course not, the smell of the bathroom (let alone the bathroom is right next to the bed! give the tiny size of the room!) kept company with us for three days, I was not able to sleep and felt that I lived in a toilet.

2. The Room, tiny, tiny tiny tiny, basically it's a bed, that's it. Honestly if the price is the same with the Youth Hotel, it's fine.. we take it, but the price is not that cheap!

3. Breakfast, horrible, not many choices, it's like hell compared to the B&B I stayed in Barcelona, and the price is actually comparable!

4. Sudden Electronic Power Off -- we experienced this ACCIDENT at 10 pm in the evening, heating is off, no wifi, it's total darkness! We called the hotel owner several times according to the "EMERGENCY NUMBER" he left at the reception, but was not able to reach him! My husband and I had to go out searching for external help. Luckily after about 40 minutes, a holland couple who also stayed in the hotel reached the owner. It took another hour for him to send someone to come and fix the problem. ITS NOT SAFE! and Please, if it's an emergency call, pick your phone!

5. Terrible Cleaner -- well it's rather trivial compared with the things above, but the cleaner would put the dirty cushion which you could see the stain on them and was on the floor before, onto the bed...

It's a terrible stay, or rather we are unlucky, but it simply fell unpleasant everyday after a day of walking.

The hotel owner gave us half refund, thanks for your sincerity, but it can not compensate this terrible experience.

Room Tip: if you really want to go, don't book the Library room
  • Stayed: October 2016, travelled as a couple
5  Thank fox_yue_hu
fcpcc1, Owner at The House, responded to this reviewResponded 9 May 2017

Dear Tripadvisor community,

Concerning fox_yue_hu's review of TheHOUSE Lisboa, I need to clarify the following: it did not happen like this but, none the less, we are sorry they did not have a nice stay. We always are when the guests don't like it here.

The problem is that they thought we had given them the wrong information concerning the bathroom and had "tricked them" into coming when, in fact that was not the case. Because they refused to accept our explanation, everything from then on was terrible. For those of you that might not find it interesting enough, I will just say that, finally, we no longer have issues of any kind in this room bathroom (it did take us much more time than we liked but, because we do not own the building, there is a limit to what we could do before); for those that do want to know how everything happened, I will address the 2 important questions separately:

1) most importantly, the question concerning the emergency phone: we are not a hotel and do not have reception 24h/day; this does not mean that we are not available when away from the hotel, quite the contrary. I am not going to go into the details because certain informations are for our guests only but I always have my phone with me and I live 2 minutes from the hotel; most of our staff is within 15 minutes on foot; finally, on check-in, we give all the information that the guests need on how to reach us. Many have; in fact, this is the first time someone makes this allegation.
Addressing the allegation that I was not available that evening, I do not know exactly what these guests did, and was unable to find out given their permanent attitude of refusing to speak and understand us. The guests did not tell me or any member of my staff about this when they were here. What I can say is that I was in a theatre, got a call from our lovely dutch guests, exited the play immediately and made my way to the hotel, despite them telling me everything was all right and that I need not hurry back. Because I was in the Expo district, I called one of my staff members living nearby so that he would be able to address the situation. I had no record of any previous calls but, from the moment I got the call to the problem being fixed it took 15 minutes. This was above average but, in my opinion, still a reasonable reply on our part for an event late at night.

2) In what concerns the bathroom smell, it is true that these guests wrote us beforehand concerned with it. Unlike their claims, we never told them everything was perfect but we did tell them, and it was true, that even though we were unsure that the problem had been solved (as it most definitely is now), we had found a temporary fix that seemed to be working but were still unsure as to when we would get clearance from the building's owners to do a more through intervention. We suggested they take a different room if they were concerned, they did not want to. The guests immediately before and after them were asked about it and did not complain and I personally slept there a week later, when the room was available. In the evening everything was ok, in the morning there was a faint odour but nothing very serious, certainly nothing worthy of a refund. Even so, and despite their most difficult and permanent attitude, I refunded them because they had not been happy here and they might have had some reason. Not being one for political correctness or corporate gibberish, I can say that I very much regret it.

The rest of it, the cleaning and the breakfast etc... is a matter of opinion, you can find hundreds of commentaries online that, fortunately for us, go 100% against this. Because of this I won't go into it. As for the room being small, I not only confirm it (it is, after all, written on our website from day one), but thank this reviewer for the pictures. They do seem to show the room as it is, even if they do not do justice to the fantastic view.

One final note to say that all this time we could have changed the room's name a number of times and get rid of the problem temporarily by avoiding these questions and pretending that it was always something different, a new problem. We never did, and we always answered every question seriously and frontally. Even so, and with this problem finally solved, I would like to apologize to all the guests that experienced it.

Best regards,
Francisco Carvalho

Reviewed 25 October 2016

Nice area away from hustle and bustle yet close to everything you need. Public transport one min walk to team. Nice room, fabulous views from rooftop terrace, great hosts with lots of helpful tips and info.

• Stayed: October 2016, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 4 October 2016 via mobile

Pleasant stay, nice quiet neighborhood. Wonderful terrace with a great view of the waterfront , to relax after walking on the hilly cobblestone streets of Lisbon! Staff was most helpful in suggesting restaurants and transportation!

Stayed: October 2016, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 3 October 2016

We stayed 6 nights & enjoyed our stay. Minor irritants stop me from giving The House 5 out of 5 (for example they're the only accommodation out of 4 we used on this trip not to have contacted us for feedback since we left them; one of the chairs on our balcony had too much "birdy doodoo" on it to be usable - we had 4 chairs though; etc. As I say these were minor irritants and we would stay again. We slept well & the view over Lisbon to the Tagus was fantastic!

Stayed: September 2016
Reviewed 25 September 2016

This was the worst, by far, accommodation experience in all my years of travel. Booked the room for our last night in Portugal 4 months in advance. Received an email from the owner, Fransisco, two weeks before departing from home,that our room had been mistakenly, "double booked", but he could offer us another room and assured us that this new room had the very best view in the building and he would compensate us with a bottle of red wine upon our arrival. At the time,I had no reason to believe this man was being disingenuous so I took his words at face value. Little did we know then,that he routinely bumps guests if a longer booking comes along, and then shuffles you around. We have since read more of the reviews and see this is not an uncommon occurrence with him. He will bait and switch your room if it serves his bottom line. He doesn't care about a guests experience, he only cares about his pocket book.

If you are coming to Lisbon to see the main part of the city, you will find that the location of this property is terrible.It's WAY outside of where anything happens in Lisbon. Trying to access the "HOUSE" is a joke as it's actually on the top floor of an apartment building in a residential area. Signage is poor and you have to figure that out on your own via the intercom. The stairwells reek of urine. Our stay was off to unpleasant start before we even got to the front desk. Once the young man staffing the desk showed us our room, we were horrified, "The Playroom" as it is called is not much bigger then a utility closet, which stunk of raw sewage, the bedding was haggard and dirty;the shower was in such disrepair…it had broken handles with sharp edges. One had to dance around them to avoid being cut. We did not want to stay here, but of course the young man informed us they were full and this was our only option. After some discussion, he got the owner on the phone, Wow….talk about rude and insulting. After experiencing nothing but tremendous Portuguese hospitality and friendliness for two weeks, this was a shock to our senses. He was overbearing,discourteous and insisted we knew about the room change ahead of timeWell yes we did,but YOU totally misrepresented the room. Who cares about a micro view when the room reeks like an outhouse,is grimy and one barely has space to turn around in? Also, if you read other reviews here on Trip Advisor the sewage smell at this property is a known issue, so beware ahead of time to expect it. The HOT bottle of cheap red wine hardly made up for Francisco's room "bait and switch" he pulled on us. He refused to do anything further to allay our concerns, dismissed the idea of a refund and continued to be belligerent and insolent on the phone, I finally gave up and hung up as this conversation was going nowhere.

The "HOUSE" itself is run down and shabby - pictures on his website are outdated.Clearly,no money is being spent on upkeep here. Breakfast was a total joke.We were presented with cheap cereal, a few bottles of warm juice,terrible coffee and stale bread - none of the local ingredients we had experienced throughout our 2 weeks travels. Mass produced Babybel cheese instead of any of the amazing Portuguese regional cheeses??? OMG,come on.

Yes, the view from the rooftop is lovely…but that simply does not make up for every other aspect of this place. I only wished I had read more of the poor, terrible and average reviews here on Trip Advisor a little closer before reserving. Won't make that mistake again.

Check out was also an issue, we were paying cash and requested a receipt.Well you would have though we were asking for the moon.The staff were very hesitant to provide a receipt, this struck us as very odd.

A dissapointing way to end an outstanding time in Portugal. A country with amazing people and food. The only saving grace was finding the LOCO restaurant in the area.
If you get stuck in this hellhole,I recommend you to consider this restaurant (nothing much else in this area anyway) to dine at.

I expect the owner will come on and reply to my review as I have noted he does this to all negative reviews.If his past replies are any indication,I presume he will be defensive and self-justifying.If he only put as much energy into improving his lodgings as he does into trying to squelch honest reviews he might actually get somewhere.

Trip advisor readers,you have been warned.With SO many other options in Lisbon, there is zero need to waste your hard earned money on this dump.

Room Tip: Stay elsewhere.
  • Stayed: June 2016, travelled as a couple
4  Thank VancouverZengirl
fcpcc1, Owner at The House, responded to this reviewResponded 26 September 2016

To whom it may be of interest:

I have been waiting for this review since my first conversation with these clients a month ago and here's why. In it, the client started by saying that dhe didn't want the room that they had previously agreed upon and that corresponded to their booking. Claiming that her closet at home was bigger than the room, she carried on by saying that everything in the room was horrible, including the view that consisted "only of rooftops" (besides the river and the castle, you can easily see at least 6 more monuments from that room). As we did not have any other rooms, I asked what would be a good solution for them. They stated that they made "reviews professionally", and after I asked for some clarification on what that meant, she proceeded by saying that the only solution would be a very steep discount. Understanding fully well that the consequence for not caving in to this sort of tactics would be a review like this, I told them that they would either stay as agreed on their booking, or not stay. They decided to stay, and I wrote the lines that you are about to read even before they checked out. They were slightly edited today, so that they are more in line with the actual content of the review.

1) Contrary to what the review implies, we actually lost some substantial revenue on this situation. We could (in hindsight, obviously, should) have cancelled this reservation when we understood a mistake had been made as it would have been better for us financially. But it wouldn't be fair as it was our mistake to begin with. Instead, and despite loosing us money as we had to move clients from a less expensive room to the most expensive room for 4 nights at the same rate, we tried to accommodate these clients by changing a couple of rooms. We explained the situation beforehand and clearly stated that the only possibility would be for them to stay on our smallest room; they gladly accepted and declined our suggestion to look up the room on our website.
2) We did offer them a bottle of red wine, one that has won quite a few prizes recently and has been rated highly by wine experts in Portugal. They claimed it was the worst wine they had ever tried.
3) Loco is a restaurant around the corner that costs from €100 per person. In Lisbon, this level of price represents the absolute top echelon in restaurants. I cannot help feeling that this client is judging us by the same standard she uses for restaurants, regardless of the fact that a comparable hotel room would cost €500 instead of the €85 she paid here. Not very fair then.
4) Even for someone that seems to have such high standards in terms of food, the client seems to be unable to understand how good freshly squeezed orange juice is, and what fresh bread and croissants picked up daily from the local bakery taste like; I stayed in a 5-star swiss hotel last weekend and I can honestly say that I prefer our breakfast, even if has, naturally, a much smaller pool of things to choose from. The ones we do have are very good.

I could go on but there is no point. It is worth noting, however, the irony of the situation: a client that behaved from the off precisely like she's (unfairly) complaining to have been treated. Incredible!

Francisco Cansado Carvalho