“I had incredibly good wines here.....”

Wine Bar do Castelo
Ranked #65 of 4,778 Restaurants in Lisbon
Price range: USD 12 - USD 58
Cuisines: Portuguese, Wine Bar
Good for: Special Occasion Dining, Romantic, Bar Scene
Dining options: After-hours, Lunch, Dinner, Breakfast, Delivery, Reservations
Neighbourhood: Castelo, Alfama & Mouraria
Description: Winebar and Wine Shop, more than 150 Portuguese wines by glass, excellent collection of old wines, XIX and XX century Ports and Madeira wines. Great selection of Portuguese cheeses and fine charcuterie. Opens daily 13h-22h. Cosy and casual atmosphere. Located near the main entrance of the Lisbon Castle of Sao Jorge.
Reviewed 6 April 2018

My goodness! I know they have good wines in Portugal but I never thought I was going to sample some wines form 2001! Small place with few seats but a great spot to discover some hidden gems of Portugal. Not cheap but worth every euro.

1  Thank degtravel
Write a ReviewReviews (1,371)

Reviewed 2 April 2018

Reviews are accurate. Caring, genuine owner who wants you to experience Portuguese wine. Definitely the best wine bar we went to! No scamming, he asked how much I wanted to pay by the glass, and everything he suggested (with small tastings before hand) was way under. He really was able to help me choose based on what I like. We even got some complimentary nibbles, which we declined because we had dinner reservations. This, my friends, is how you get my business and my excellent review. We went to the castle in the morning, a different morning, and then made the trek back here for this bar especially, based on the good review, and it was worth it. And the little shops around there btw, had better items than I saw elsewhere in town. So it ended up being a more expensive night than I thought:). But worth it.

1  Thank MeTravelBug
Reviewed 26 March 2018 via mobile

We stumbled upon this lovely wine bar on a rainy afternoon. We ended up staying for over 4 hours! Such a cosy and friendly place, the staff are so knowledgeable and patient. We had loads of different wine and the cheeseboard. The main guy was really nice and gave us loads of great advice. We had brilliant chats with him. You feel completely as ease and there is no pressure to buy anything if you don’t want to. Not your usual tourist place.
Highly recommend - we will be back!

1  Thank NaomiO
Reviewed 25 March 2018

Great opportunity to taste a range of Portuguese wines, and pick out some new favourites, with the help of some very knowledgeable staff and delicious food. Don't do what our friend did, however. Don't say you want to just try 5 euro glasses of wine - you don't get anything that great. Go with a bigger budget and you'll be better rewarded!

1  Thank roos1ter
Reviewed 14 March 2018 via mobile

My friends and I came here on two separate occasions during our week long stay in Lisbon. It’s just fantastic! All of the staff are so knowledgable about the wines and introduced us to some new wines that we had never tried before! The late harvest wines in particular were just delicious. The charcuterie is great as well - fantastic little pieces of black pork and chorizo alongside good bread, olive oil, cheese and jams. The pumpkin jam is very special. Thank you so much for two great evenings. Highly highly recommended.

1  Thank Lauren1873