“Simply, the best of the best. Not to be missed!”

Lisbon Explorer Private Tours
Ranked #1 of 102 Food & Drink in Lisbon
More attraction details
Recommended length of visit: 2-3 hours
Owner description: Private Tours For the Culturally Curious! Perfect for travelers, foodies and art lovers who want more than a mass tourism experience • Lively and knowledgeable experts • We are local scholars with a passion for the food, wine, culture and history of Portugal • Excellent English-speaking • Easy walks downhill, or luxury vehicles with heat and A/C • Insider tips on restaurants and places locals visit • FREE rides on historic trolleys • Access car-free historic quarters and go inside sights • No megaphones, headsets • Affordable. ----- To really know Lisbon one must go into the small maze-like streets of the city's old quarters, where automobiles are limited and real life unfolds in pedestrian friendly streets and squares. The young and vibrant guides and scholars who lead our tours are not part-time students or actors who memorize scripts, or offer free tours to large groups without advance reservations. We carefully choose historians who are talented at speaking on Lisbon's treasures, and the amazing stories beneath them. After each tour our staff is available to assist with free city maps, additional sights to see, and restaurant or shopping suggestions. We look forward to bringing Lisbon alive for you in truly amazing, historic and relevant detail.
San Diego, California
7 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 36 helpful votes
“Simply, the best of the best. Not to be missed!”
Reviewed 25 March 2012

My daughter, her fiance, and I took three private tours with Lisbon Explorer--"Taste of Portugal", "Hidden Lisbon", and "Around Alfama". We were fortunate enough to tour with Paolo--much celebrated on this board. And now we know why.

He is, quite simply, the best tour guide we've ever had (and we've had some great ones!). Paulo has it all--knowledge, scholarship, humor, artistic sensibility, refined taste in food and wine, wit and charm. He spins a tale like no one else. We stood gripped as he described the destruction wreaked by the 1755 earthquake and the ensuing tsunami; we were in tears from his dramatic recounting of the tragic events of Rossio Square; we were drooling as he told the history of Pasteis de Nata and how they are made, which made our first bite of these divine pastries even more luscious. (I don't even LIKE pastries, but I'm still dreaming about these!)

We decided to book private (rather than group) tours with Paolo, and we were very glad we did. This allowed us time to share a typical Portuguese lunch between tours (with Paolo again regaling us with the history of the food, how it is made and how to consume it). And it also gave us time to set our own pace and have a few merry stops along the way to taste Ginjinha (which Paolo ordered "with fruit"--the best way to have it) and other local delicacies.

Antonio (who works in the office and handles correspondence) is also first-rate. I decided to go with Lisbon Explorer and not another group after my first email exchange with Antonio. He replies with blinding speed to inquiries. He has perfect English, he listens carefully to what you say, and he took a lot of time to plan the best tours for our little family. One morning, while touring with a different guide (we couldn't get the in-demand Paolo), there was a small problem with hotel pick-up. Though this had nothing to do with him, Antonio was rushing to the rescue, along with his wife, when our guide finally arrived. It was comforting to know that in case of any difficulties, Antonio and Lisbon Explorer were always there to help.

Lisbon Explorer is a full-service tourism company that takes excellent care of its customers. If you can afford it, I recommend springing for a private tour with Paolo, for we've never experienced anything like it. If not, then I'm sure Paolo also does very well with groups and would impress your clients/friends as he did my family.

If you are reading this, Paolo and Antonio, then let me say thanks--thanks from the heart-- for making our short stay in Lisbon so unforgettable.

3 Thank woolfcross

• Hebrew first
  • Polish first
Milan, Italy
16 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 25 helpful votes
“Highly informative, interesting”
Reviewed 23 March 2012

We booked Paolo as a guide after reading some very good reviews about him. And we weren't disappointed. He is so passionate about the city and knew so much about the places, the people and the interesting stories that enriched out stay in the city.

We have had many guides before in non English speaking countries and sometimes found it hard to understand because of the accent. With Paolo there is no such problem at all given that I think he is American and speaks the language perfectly.

1 Thank jontam5
Stamford, Connecticut
3 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 5 helpful votes
“Thank you Paulo!”
Reviewed 21 March 2012

My adult daughter and I visited Lisbon for 6 days in February. After checking Tripadvisor I contacted Lisbon Explorer and Antonio immediately emailed me back. We were interested in a private Jewish tour and the group tour of Alfama. Because of our interests we were then contacted by Paulo. Both tours were incredible - we learned so much. In addition, while planning our trip we felt as if we had a personal assistant in helping us with ideas of what to do, where we could go on our own and places for us to eat (vegetarian). We could not have done this on our own. Again, thank you Paulo.

Visited February 2012
Astoria, New York
5 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 3 helpful votes
“Beyond amazing tour of Lisbon”
Reviewed 21 March 2012

Thank you Paolo for a view of Lisbon I don't think we could have gotten any other way! The walking tour ended up being over 4 hours long. It involved actually going into amazing churches (not just being outside with the guide saying Be sure to come back here), learning truly interesting history, and finding all the excellent local places to go- and tourist traps to avoid. Partially what made the tour so fantastic was Paolo's enthusiasm; certainly he has been to these places countless times, but is still so fascinited by the city, it's rich history, and all the things to do. Well worth the 34 Euros pp- I'd recommend it to anyone visiting Lisbon.

2 Thank Cori M
Chicago, Illinois, United States
“Most interesting and informative tour I've taken.”
Reviewed 16 March 2012

Paolo and Lisbon explorer is the way to go. I only had a few hours to site see before a meeting and couldn't have had a better experience than with these guys.

Visited February 2012