“Nothing special”

Ranked #1,266 of 5,169 Restaurants in Lisbon
Neighbourhood: Bairro Alto, Bica & Cais do Sodré
Neighbourhood: Bairro Alto, Bica & Cais do Sodré
Reviewed 6 April 2018

I went to the new Pap'Açorda on Tuesday with a friend, motivated by the fame that the old restaurant, in Rua da Atalaia had, but that one I never went. The new space is pleasant and we stayed at a table with a good view of the plaza D. Luis I. We started with the famous Pasteis de Massa Tenra. The stuffing (ground meet) very good and generous in quantity but the dough does not correspond to the good Pasteis that I am used to - very crispy and hard crust. Then I ate Arroz de Cabidela where the balance between the vinegar and the blood was not adequate, having a strange taste, which I can not describe (perhaps too much salt?). The other dish was Pataniscas de Gambas with coriander rice, but the rice was also not well-seasoned, perhaps because the variety of rice (long grain) was not adequate. The price was reasonable (48 €), although I only drank a glass of Fiuza 3 Castas (red wine), my friend had a bottle of water and we had 2 expresso coffees.
Conclusion: do not go with too many expectations. However, it may be that we have had bad luck in the dishes chosen.

Date of visit: April 2018

Reviewed 2 April 2018

By the time my daughter and I arrived at Time Out Market, we were starving and cranky. We decided to forego the full experience of trying out the food stalls downstairs, and opted to eat lunch at this full service restaurant upstairs. We had spotty service, and the food although tasty, we felt was overpriced.

Date of visit: March 2018
Reviewed 4 March 2018

Lovely lunch and very welcoming. We arrived early. Our hotel had made a table booking for us, and we were seated immediately. Staff were very attentive and helpful, despite a private BMW Electric Vehicle gathering happening in a separate area of the restaurant.

We'd been at the Time Out Market, but particularly wanted to eat somewhere a bit more relaxed than at the market, so had chosen the trendy Pap'Acorda on the first floor above the market. The restaurant filled up quickly with other guests, mostly Portuguese. This is not just a place for tourists!

We'll definitely go there again when we are next in Lisbon.

Date of visit: November 2017
Reviewed 22 January 2018

Visitors to this restaurant have a tendency to nostalgically compare it with the old Pap'Açorda in Bairro Alto under another management and location than the present one. It is not easy to take over an existing popular restaurant, and my guess is that the new Pap'Açorda would have gotten better reviews had they tried to create a new identity for the place in stead of trying to surf on the old name. The new location is good - near taxis, local trains and trams and in the same building as the lively Time Out food market and court and a vibrating life in the streets. The service was impeccable with efficient and smiling staff. They have an abundance of tapas and starters in addition to the We were a group of 6 and we had 5 different courses ranging from 3 different fish dishes and 1 meat dish. This writer had the classic Pap'Açorda dessert of chocolate mousse (large!) which was delicious but a bit too much after starters and a substantial main dish. It is not a cheap place but the food was reasonably good value for money. I cannot say the same for the wine prices which appeared to have multiple of 3 compared to retail shop prices, a multiple which is lower than in my native country but high for Portugal and this being the only minus point of the evening.

Date of visit: October 2017
Reviewed 8 January 2018

Busy room with nice vibe and pleasant atmosphere for long dinner and chat, good traditional Portuguese food. The chocolate mousse is a signature must, as are the "pastel de massa tenra" (unless you're vegetarian).

Date of visit: January 2018