“Nr. 1”

Price range: USD 7 - USD 37
Good for: Romantic, Special Occasion Dining
Dining options: After-hours, Dinner, Reservations
Reviewed 26 September 2017 via mobile

What ever stupid thing you do in your live. Do not pass this resturant without trying it.
That is all there is to say.

Reviewed 24 September 2017

What a lovely restaurant, Our waiter was friendly and helpful and we were all so happy with our selections. I chose the eggplant cannellone which was such a treat and cooked to perfection. It was difficult to choose a dessert because the selection was all so enticing. Our group chose the chocolate secret, the Pavlova, the caramelized pineapple and a lemon meringue. All delicious and impossible to choose the best.

Reviewed 24 September 2017 via mobile

Firstly, I am not a vegetarian and I knew this was a vegetarian restaurant before booking, but was I disappointed....not in the slightest !

It's a little hard to find tucked down a narrow side street, but it is well worth seeking out.

There's a very good selection of food on offer, something to suit most tastes. The cheeseboard starter served with local bread, pineapple chutney and orange butter together with 5 very generous portions of cheese was delicious, as was the bruschetta with figs and blue cheese my wife had.

For mains both my wife and I had mushroom vol-au-vent which was absolutely huge stuffed with mushrooms, peas, crispy vegetarian bacon and leeks, this was topped off with a miso ice cream. This sounds an odd combination but was delicious, an unusual mixture of flavours and temperature.

For pudding (if you have the room) there's again a good selection available. We went for caramelised pineapple with cinnamon sugar and chillies, served cold but left your mouth burning. A lovely finish to an excellent meal.

Others have commented about it being expensive, I'm not sure where these people eat, but for 2 x starters, mains, dessert and a good bottle of wine, we paid €55. I've paid more for a single drink in other places I have visited, so certainly no complaints from me, but each to their own budget I guess.

Thoroughly recommended, but you might want to starve yourself first, because the portions are huge !

Finally, staff are very friendly, service great and the surroundings quirky but charming.

Nothing to dislike here at all, a well deserved number 1 spot.

Obligada !

Reviewed 22 September 2017 via mobile

Rotas looks really cool and the waiters are very attentive. We really enjoyed the starters of sweet potato dumplings and the soup. The mains which were chickpea stew and aubergine with soya were a little bland. However, that could just be down to the possibility that the Azorean palate is different to ours. The dessert which was lemon meringue pie was delicious!

Reviewed 21 September 2017 via mobile

Having spent 2 weeks travelling around Sao Miguel for our honeymoon, we really wanted to try Rotas based on all the good reviews but having turned up on the day they were fully booked for the next two nights. The staff were kind enough to take our details just in case of a cancellation and we were really lucky to get a call back on our final night in the Azores for the 9pm service.

Now we always take online reviews with a pinch of salt, especially the those which seem too good to be true, but we can happily say that Rotas lived up to it's glowing reputation!

From the moment we arrived the staff were friendly and really welcoming, the restaurant has a really nice cozy feel almost like your own private dinner party. For starters we had the strawberry gazpacho and tapioca wraps both of which were delicious. For main we had the cannelloni and Tofu Skewers, again both fantastic. Somehow we managed to also find room for desert and had the "Secret" chocolate cake and Bolo Lêvedo (local sweet bread) Tiramusu.

We're so glad that we managed to get a seat at Rotas. Thank you to the chefs and the staff for what was the perfect end to our honeymoon. We would highly recommend you give it a try as it was by far the best meal we had on Sao Miguel!