“What a nice place to eat traditional Portuguese food”
Review of Restaurante Fialho

Restaurante Fialho
Ranked #27 of 290 Restaurants in Evora
Good for: Child-friendly, Business meetings, Local cuisine, Special Occasion Dining
Dining options: Dinner, Lunch, After-hours, Reservations
Description: Visited by tourists and Portuguese, Ambassador and champion of local gastronomy throughout the world, was founded in 1945 by Manuel Fialho and became a world reference when talking on “awakening of senses” by the Portuguese cuisine, designated as Alentejana. Situated in the historic centre of Évora, considered a world heritage site by UNESCO in 1986, "Fialho", commanded by firstborn, Amor Fialho, who does the honours and their prescription is overseen by the third generation of the family, Helena e Rui Fialho. Over seven decades, the Fialho family has been dedicated to the art of hospitality as the alentejano way, values for the good and genuine regional cuisine and excellent wine cellar. In the restaurant Fialho there are respect to raw materials valuing the authentic flavours of the Alentejo.
Reviewed 6 April 2018 via mobile

After a visit of the sites in Évora we were ready for a good lunch. Via our hotel we made reservations which is absolutely needed. Friendly reception and nice table. The table already had some starters ready. Very nice squid and thinly sliced meat and beans with additions. Very tasteful.
The lamb was first class. The soup with fish and bread was enjoyable. Really good traditional Portuguese food. We highly recommend this restaurant for interior, service and quality of the food.

Write a ReviewReviews (1,823)

Reviewed 17 March 2018 via mobile

Sara was our waitress and wonderful. We really appreciated her honesty and she went above and beyond to help us select the perfect dishes and wine to accompany. Dishes of note: kid lamb and clams in a garlic/green sauce.

Reviewed 27 February 2018 via mobile

Visiting Evora with friends. This was to be my wife’s birthday dinner, and we chose the restaurant based on good reviews and proximity to our Hotel. I had booked over a week in advance by email, explaining that it was for a special birthday, and asking for a special birthday cake/dessert after dinner
A family restaurant of long standing, regrettably I didn’t feel welcome, with a slightly supercilious attitude from reception staff. Our table was for six against a back wall, making access tricky for those inside.
The menu was typical except for the prices which were high. Nothing out of the ordinary. My wife had sopa de caçäo, which was average with insufficient coentro. I had pork cheeks which were a little dry in a very rich sauce, as if it had been prepared for a long time.
The birthday dessert was not forthcoming, but at the last minute I persuaded the waitress to have an inscription on a standard dessert sent. Disappointing. I can understand how the ratings for the restaurant have slipped. The management and waiter training are inadequate for a restaurant with pretensions.
Overall just average but not good value for money.

Reviewed 26 February 2018

Read my other reviews, I do not complain. My wife complains because I do not in a restaurant. I feel so sorry for a waiter or chef doing their best and then getting criticism as if they are kids. So for me to complain is rare. We booked days in advanced to ensure we get to eat here when we arrive in Evora. We arrived and the reception was great, we got showed an amazing table and the decor was stunning really something to experience. We ordered some wine and then it was like the wheels got taken of the well oiled machine. We had to beg for service and we then got starters that was average compared to the rest of Portugal. We ordered 3 mains. 2 x Pork cheeks and 1 x quail. The Pork cheeks was so dry and tasted like it was cooked in beef stock. I love salt and tasted my wife's Pork cheeks, they where not edible. They wanted to replace the food of my wife and friend, but at this stage it was late and we didn't feel welcome anymore. The table next to us also sent two dishes back whilst we still waited for our food. We then got told the service was bad, due to new waiters..... really that did it for me. The food is from the kitchen the speed of service and atmosphere is created by management. So sad as we wanted this to be a great experience, It ended up being our least enjoyable meal in Portugal.

1  Thank Kgalagadi
Reviewed 25 February 2018 via mobile

The last time I had dinner at Fialho's was eleven years ago and I still recall it as very good. Traveling in the Alentejo and staying overnight in Evora this was an excellent opportunity to visit Fialho's in search of confirmation of my reminiscences. Well, it was as good as I remember. The appetizers (cheese and mushrooms), the main course (black pig) and the sweets were very good. The price was reasonable. The staff were very attentive and kind. A place to visit the next time in Evora.