All reviews hi express car park parking charge family room an overnight stay city centre bus stop base to explore leave the car room rate breakfast was included hotel restaurant beds were comfortable business trip the breakfast area tea and coffee boiled eggs
Reviewed 11 October 2018

My husband and I spent 4 nights at this property. The staff was professional and helpful. The property was comfortable and clean, but a little worn in areas. The breakfast area was large and well maintained.

HELPFUL INFORMATION:
We did not have a car. We used public transportation which was reasonably priced and easy to use. We purchased 10 transportation tickets from the front desk clerk for 16.00 euros. The tickets could be used by both of us for either the bus or tram. There is an electronic board in the lobby that indicates the arrival time of the next bus/tram. Sometimes we took Bus 8 to the historic area of Gent. The Bus 8 stop (Proeftuinstraat stop) is a 5 minute walk from the hotel. (Be sure to stand and wave to the driver to indicate he needs to stop. Speaking from experience :o), if you are sitting on the bench, he just drives on by.) Other times we took the Tram 4 (green line) from the Uz stop (at the hospital) into the historic area. The Uz stop is about a 15 minute walk from the hotel.

Our favorite activities were the free walking tour (donation appreciated) which started in front of the Hostel Uppelink, the Ghent Altarpiece at St. Bavo's Cathedral (so beautiful and such an interesting story), frequent trips to the Himschoot Bakery (yum!), and 2 day trips to Bruges. (Train tickets to Bruges and other Belgium destinations are half price on the weekend.)

• Trip type: Travelled as a couple
Reviewed 28 September 2018

There are good things and not so good things about this hotel which turns out to be very average. The location is a bit tough though you can get to the bus fairly easily. The tram is a bit of a hike especially with luggage (0.78mi or 1.25km). I tried to rent a bike from the hotel, they had three but said only one was operable. Turns out it's back tire was mostly flat so that option was out. There is on restaurant nearby and a market at the stadium nearby but it closes pretty early.

The room was odd, very basic but not well planned out. There was a huge empty area but also no closet, just a tiny bar to hang clothes. But the hangers are the 'anti-theft' types so you had to really work to put them on the hangers. Certainly a decent closet could have been installed in the open, wasted space. I guess maybe it was kept open for a cot or something.

The weirdest thing is two light switches in the headboard. I couldn't figure out how to turn off some lights in the top of the headboard and had to call the front desk. They are behind the pillows! After turning the lights off, I found I could turn them on accidentally in the middle of the night if I rolled over in bed. Very strange.

The breakfast was exceedingly basic but popular with the masses. The staff was nice but next time I'll try to stay close to the city center.

• Trip type: Travelled on business
IHGService, Guest Relations Manager at Holiday Inn Express Gent, responded to this reviewResponded 13 October 2018

Hi michael n,

Thank you for choosing our hotel and for sharing your experience. I am happy to learn you found staff to be accommodating.

It is with dismay to learn that the closet and light placement was a challenge. We always make sure our rooms are perfect for our guests, I will pass on your comments to the managerial team and involved department to take action without delay. Your comments about the breakfast items will be checked so we can refine our menu.

Again, thank you for your review. I do hope we will have another opportunity to serve you if ever you are in the area to show you how we've taken your comments seriously.

Best,

Zel N.

Reviewed 22 September 2018 via mobile

I’m still Browned off with this place. Let me start by saying I’ve stayed in many Holiday Inns and this is by far the worse. Firstly the staff were good and polite. After that, it nose dives. The layout of the dinning area is very strange, the breakfast is a continental affair. I know before everyone jumps on their Soap boxes and say it’s healthy, but you can’t beat hot Food in the morning for breakfast. But the thing that gripped me was the Low Loader reversing in the Car park at 03:00ish with its reverse beepers going ten to the dozen, then good old drives dropping his alloy ramps on and off the back of his Low loader trailer. Cheers mate.

Trip type: Travelled with friends
IHGService, Guest Relations Manager at Holiday Inn Express Gent, responded to this reviewResponded 6 October 2018

Hello Kenny F!

I'm glad to know that our hotel staff was the highlight of your stay! I'm sure they'll appreciate your kind words. I'm very sorry to know though about your disappointment about our dining area, breakfast, and noise from the car park. This is certainly not what we want for you.

Don't worry, I shared your concerns to our Front Office Manager and General Manager. I'm sure they'll take your comments into consideration when making decisions about our future upgrades.

This may not be your best stay, but thanks for choosing us and sharing your thoughts. We hope to have you again so we can make it up to you.

Safe travels,

Gian M

Reviewed 1 September 2018

We travelled as a family of 4, and stayed in a family room. It had most things you would need; shower, kettle, hair dryer, and 3 BBC channels (1, 2 & 4). But 2 tea bags a day aren't enough and there were just 2 teeny tiny mugs for us all.

We caught the bus and tram into Ghent, the tram is further to walk but a better bet. It was €15 home by taxi from the centre of town. It is quite a way out of town, but what you lose in having to catch public transport you gain by ease of finding from the motorway.

Breakfast was OK - no milk on our first day for cereal and no hot chocolate in the drinks machine. We came back early from town on Sunday and planned to eat in the restaurant but it doesn't open at weekends. We ended up in the hotel restaurant next door eating an over priced and underwhelming meal.

That said Ghent is definitely worth a visit, it is beautiful. And our tariff had free parking.

Date of stay: August 2018
Trip type: Travelled with family
HIEX_Gent_manager, General Manager at Holiday Inn Express Gent, responded to this reviewResponded 2 September 2018

Dear guest

Thank you for staying with us at the Holiday Inn Express in Gent. Great to read that you enjoyed our medieval city.

Apologies for the milk and the hot chocolate not being available during the first morning. Our breakfast hosts will always try to replenish everything as fast as possible, however, during peak times on the weekend (9.30-10.30am) it may take a bit longer.

If anything is missing that you would like, do contact one of our team members and they will bring it to your table when available again.
Also for the amenities in your room, you can always get replenishments from our Great Room 24/7.

Hope to see you again soon, in Gent !

Sincerely
Laurens Roels, Hotel Manager

Reviewed 24 August 2018

I visited Holiday Inn Express for buisness trip. Rooms are big enough, nearby with bus or tram you can reach the city of Gent.
Parking fee is additional 16 € a night and it's outside, no garage.
Breakfast is every day the same. No toilet brush in the bathroom.
I complained about the high parking fee at the reception, the only answer was: I'm not making the prices.
Also only two german station on TV: RTL and VOX.
You have lot's of opportunities to improve!

Ich war während einer Dienstreise hier. Die Zimmer sind groß, die Stadt Gent kann schnell mit Bus und Strassenbahn erreicht werden.
Das Parken auf dem Hof kostet 16 € extra!
Das Frühstück ist ohne Abwechselung.
Es gibt keine Toilettenbürsten.
Im Fernseher nur RTL und VOX, und hier steigen etliche Deutsche ab.
Viel Spielraum für Verbesserungen!

Date of stay: August 2018
  • Trip type: Travelled on business
IHGService, Guest Relations Manager at Holiday Inn Express Gent, responded to this reviewResponded 8 September 2018

Hi Rudolf B,

Thanks so much for choosing us for your business trip. I am happy to hear you found our location beneficial for your needs and had a pleasant experience with our hotel rooms. It is wonderful to know that we made you feel so welcome.

I am sorry for the issues you had with the bathroom amenity, parking fee and level of customer service received from the hotel staff. I can imagine the dismay you went through and forgive us for the shortcomings. I have forwarded this to the upper management of the hotel for review. Kindly know that your comment will help us to improve on the services we offer.

Again, thank you for the feedback. I hope you will keep us in mind again the next time you’re traveling through Gent. We can't wait to have you as our guest again.

Best,