“Good and bad together make a non-palatable less than average”
Review of BIG MAMA

BIG MAMA
Reserve with
BIG MAMA is not available for your requested time. Choose another time, or search restaurants with availability.
The time you selected has already passed.
Ranked #644 of 4,021 Restaurants in Brussels
Cuisines: Belgian, French
Dining options: After-hours, Reservations
Dining options: After-hours, Reservations
Reviewed 14 July 2017

I have been a couple of times there in various occasions. The location has the advantage of being close to Gran Place and still out of the Tourist area. Personally, I don't find the decorations and the atmosphere noticeable in anyway. Pretty average. The service is generally bad. The owner is cheeky, borderline arrogant and if you make the mistake of complaining about the food be prepare to swallow a lot of abuse. On this respect, really unacceptable. I agree with other visitors that the mussels are excellent, this being the only reason why I don't rate this place terrible. The rest of the food tasted average at most for my boyfriend, my friends and myself. With one exception. The burger. 20 euros burger and the worst we have ever tasted. Disgusting. Stay away from it.

Reviewed 3 January 2017

The guy was as warm and friendly as the waitress was cold and abrupt. Food was average (linguine, pulled meat), mussels were excellent.

Reviewed 24 November 2016

It was Saturday evening and we passed out of this small restaurant. We asked for a table for 4 and the owner was happy to serve us immediately. After our walk at Grand Place where we saw a lot of touristic bistros we returned to BIG MAMA and had delicious mussels served with happiness and warmness. No noise and nice conversations with the owner . We enjoyed it!!!

Reviewed 16 November 2016

I visit Brussels frequently, and there has to be at least one moules frites (mussels and chips) when I go, and this time I tried out Big Mama. It's halfway between the centre and the antiques district, so well placed, but not quite in the hurly-burly of everything.

The tables are zinc-topped and there's a feeling of minimalism about the decor, but the food is excellent. Moules frites (garlic an cream) was as good as it gets, with plenty of fat juicy mussels and some delicious mayo (served imaginatively in a chicory-leaf 'dish') to go with the fries. The cheese croquettes I had as a starter were big and gooey, just as they should be, and the ice-cream (served with a little cup of thick chocolate) was a perfect end to the meal. Delicious!

Reviewed 23 August 2016

the place was clean, friendly stagg and foods was average. We were welcomed by a nice guy, he offered us free seating, offered us 2 boards with suggestions and the fixed menu. tafels were in inox, clean. but the walls needs some freshingup. the barhroom was in de basement, verry nice mosaicfloors there.