“Better than average”
Review of Rubens Restaurant

Rubens Restaurant
Reserve with
Rubens Restaurant is not available for your requested time. Choose another time, or search restaurants with availability.
The time you selected has already passed.
Ranked #36 of 322 Restaurants in Leiden
Cuisines: Contemporary
Dining options: Reservations
Dining options: Reservations
Reviewed 29 March 2018

We stayed at the attached hotel and used the restaurant frequently. The daily set course meals were varied and to some extent better than the a la carte..... ask before you order. It was a shame that it was shut on the Sunday as thus was not obvious.

petra53, Manager at Rubens Restaurant, responded to this reviewResponded 30 March 2018

Thank you very mutch for the compliment! Hope to see you soon at Rubens!

With kind regards, Petra Brusche F&B manager

Reviewed 14 February 2018 via mobile

Usually I don’t eat in restaurants attached to hotels as my perception that they could be overpriced and with small choice of dishes. Although in Netherlands it doesn’t really matter as everything is expensive here and choice usually small in any restaurant in the city. So I’ve decided to stay for dinner in hotel where arrived after a very long trip. I was really looking forward for their 3 course menu for the price of 25€ which is pretty reasonable. I liked their menu consisting from green pea soup, grilled dorado/bream and fried bananas. That was I really needed on the cold evening! That was very good-see pictures! I felt like in 5 star restaurant! I’m not a big fan of sophisticated food but sometimes you must treat yourself!:-) So portions were exactly not to overeat but feel satisfied, taste and appearance were great and I didn’t regret at all! They also brought bread and butter/olive oil/pepper sauce in the beginning which is always nice and appreciated.
One thing which a bit surprised me is a price for small bottle of wine (2 glasses) 19 € with usual price of glass of 5-6 € in Netherlands and the fact that I’ve asked for Pino Grigio and was brought Pino Gris instead (and bottle was opened immediately). But this is minor thing. I would find other local places in Leiden but if you are really tired-you will not regret that you stay in hotel for the dinner. I’m sure!

Dear Irina

Thank you for your compliments we are very happy to recived them!
Hope that you will visite us again

With kind regards, Petra Brusche F&B manager

Reviewed 29 November 2017 via mobile

I’m actually quite reluctant to write about the Rubens because I don’t want to find I can’t book a table when I need one. I’ve been staying at the Golden Tulip hotel and using their restaurant twice weekly for two years now. For a reason. It is the best value quality restaurant in Leiden by far.

The dishes are imaginative, well balanced, seasonal and perfectly seasoned. Service is friendly, efficient and uncannily preemptive. There have been many gastronomic memories over the months - gazpacho with tempura king prawns; bouillabaisse; carpaccio of beef; veal cheek; skate wing; perfect medium-rare entrecôte; pretty much any fish you care to name. The daily menu is a delight and ridiculous value for money. Every week they offer me something different and if by chance it’s something I can’t eat (I’m on a low carb diet), they swap dish components for something equally delicious. And to follow, just order the chef’s surprise dessert. I guarantee you will not be disappointed. A perfect plate of four or five samplers - a beautiful mixture of textures and sweet flavours, presented with style and executed with professional brilliance. And if like me you lean towards the savoury, the cheese board would embarrass any top table London restaurant. Dutch (well aged), French, Italian, goat, sheep, blue; all presented on a marble topped trolley, with excellent Port and dessert wine options. I ask waitress Kim to choose the best for me - always wonderful!

The Rubens is an outstanding restaurant. There are many great places to eat in Leiden. This is the best.

1  Thank mel889
Reviewed 21 November 2017

Chef understands how to flavour. Very good food well served by bringing up a tray to my room. Lovely cream soup with a mushroom quenelle.

Reviewed 21 July 2017 via mobile

I was really impressed with how professional and considerate the staff was here. We were here as a group for a wedding. The 3 course dinners were amazing each time!

1  Thank LebaneseCreole