“Groupon 7 course”
Review of De Saffraan

De Saffraan
Reserve with
De Saffraan is not available for your requested time. Choose another time, or search restaurants with availability.
The time you selected has already passed.
Ranked #2 of 259 Restaurants in Amersfoort
Cuisines: Dutch
Dining options: After-hours, Reservations
Dining options: After-hours, Reservations
Reviewed 30 July 2017 via mobile

Excellent Groupon for 7 courses used. Worth every penny. Definitely will go back for a special occassion. Lovely atmosphere with helpful staff. We ate inside, but would like to try outside on the deck.

Reviewed 9 July 2017

This place is amazing and exceeded all expectations. We were there out for dinner with a group of 25 people and everybody loved it! We had vegetarian as well as pregnant - and the food was just great for each and every guest.
The team was very helpful, responsive and flexible with booking, as we had to make some last minute changes.
We had a welcoming drink on the deck outside and then moved inside for main courses. The whole atmosphere is very cosy and welcoming and the service was great. We got some delicious tasters first and then fish for the main course. I heard some people saying that it's one of the best courses they've ever had! Dessert was also fabulous - served with three different tasters - exactly as we wanted.
Overall, very high quality food, prepared by a top class chef. Highly recommend this place and looking forward to dining there again!

Reviewed 26 June 2017

Wonderful day and food. We we were with a large group and enjoyed the perfect dinner. Surprsing combinations addtinal appetizers. EXtremely professional and very friendly staff. Don't miss this place when in Amerfsoort!. Even worth a detour.

Reviewed 12 June 2017

We decided spontaneously to try and get a reservation here for a week later, and I was very surprised that this Michelin-starred restaurant had room! And not just that, they had room through a special discounted price site (sorry, I didn't book and don't know the site).
We arrived and were welcomed very nicely and were seated at a nice table. As I expect from a place like this, we were offered delicious amuse bouche and we were blown away by the 7(!) courses of the surprise menu. The only disappointment came in the form of quail with gado gado. Both items were delicious in their own right, but the peanut sauce (amazing!) did not fit with the quail and all but drowned the fantastic flavour of the quail.

The rest of the dishes were all amazing, the balance between flavours perfect, the preparations surprising, and the presentations beautiful.
All were accompanied by carefully chosen wines from surprising origins and grapes I had never heard of.
Absolutely recommended!

Reviewed 6 June 2017

This was my second Safraan experience. Two years ago I had lunch and I still remember an entrée made of chips in lea stone.

This time it went as follows:
One of the waiters came in a dirty 2-piece suit. Maybe a one-off incident? Monitor dry-cleaning please.
We had a few very nice amuses that promised a good culinary experience. Especially the curry-ice-cream concept was very good.
3 people out of our company choose the so-called ‘Bob-wine-arrangement’ these are supposedly small quantities of wine per glass that accompany each individual course. We went for the full menu- a 7 stage surprise dinner- The Bob wine arrangement is called as such for those who want to drive home safely after their meal. Big half full glasses are served with each course and most glasses I had to let go after three or four sips. It is not the quantity but the quality that matters for me. The concept of a tasting experience should not become a drinking experience, in my opinion. The fastc pace in which the courses were served didn't match a proper appreciation of the wine.
In this playing field, we were enjoying a meat course of Bavette in beetroot – this was a safe bet and not very special. An earlier fish starter course was farm raised salmon prepared au Bain Marie and this was a good tasting experience; The main fish course that later appeared: Codfish in buttered sauce did not stay with me as special, again a very safe bet.
My 3 companions choose for a (supplementary) cheese dish at the end. They reported it was very good. A good Dutch local cheese concept- honest – small tasting bits with banana-bread; our compliments.

€90+/per person - all in - was the price for this experience. Now, the setting of the Safraan, an antique vessel moored of in one of Amersfoort’s canals, is certainly special. So, if food is not the main objective, then the restaurant is an original place to dine.

P.S. Maybe our choice of a surprise 7 course menu wasn't a good one to do in the given time - we started at 2030 hours and left at 2400 hours, I take responsibility for that.