“Wonderful meal and experience, strongly recommend.”
Review of Chez Bastijan

Chez Bastijan
Reserve with
Chez Bastijan is not available for your requested time. Choose another time, or search restaurants with availability.
The time you selected has already passed.
Ranked #3 of 391 Restaurants in Haarlem
Cuisines: Mediterranean
Dining options: Reservations
Neighbourhood: Centrum
Reviewed 3 September 2017

Booked directly for dinner through email and promptly received confirmation.
Had a wondeful experience. Was recommended a starter dish to share. Interesting mix of flavours. Then we had the duck and monkfish as main dishes, the latter was not on the menu but promoted by the waiter. Dessert was panna cotta and chocolate cake with ice cream. The dishes had flavours that were well blended.
The 2 boys who served us did very well. They knew their dishes well and were impressive with their recommendations and promoting their menu.
The atmosphere was romantic and friendly.
Price was moderate. Overall a great meal and dinner experience.
I strongly recommend a visit if you get to this part of the world.

Reviewed 20 August 2017

A friend recommended this restaurant and it was even better than we expected. The food was really delicious. It's been a long time since we have eaten so well. Moreover the service by the lady was very professional and very friendly.
One of us broke a glass and in no time a new glass of wine was on the cleaned table. It is a restaurant in Art Deco style, not very big, so you better make a reservation. It is a perfect place for a romantic dinner. When we are in Haarlem again we surely come back to Bastijan !

Reviewed 19 August 2017

Very busy on the night we were there. Lots of locals which is always a good sign. We had the swordfish and beef stew which were both fantastic. Friendly service although the young lady could have done some with help. Really good wine list and sensible prices. Would go back.

Reviewed 13 August 2017 via mobile

I recently moved to Haarlem and searched TripAdvisor for the best local restaurants. Chez Bastijan had such good reviews so booked for a Saturday night with a friend and it didn't disappoint. The service was of a very high standard, the specials were explained and wine recommended. Our mouths were watering just looking at other diners meals and we had the chateaubriand (for two). It was amazing. Beautifully cooked to our taste, which was rare and priced fairly. The ambience was lovely with couples, friends and families all present. I couldn't fault it and will definitely make this a regular dining spot.

Reviewed 16 June 2017

We booked a table here for a Saturday night (as we knew it was popular) and from entering the restaurant we were instantly struck by how quaint and interesting the interior was.

We were politely shown to our table by one of the most professional, friendly servers we have every met. She calmly welcomed us and presented us with the menu, whilst informing us that asparagus was in season and there were special dishes including it on the menu (naming them).

I ordered a bottle of white wine from Luxembourg (delighted to see a wine from Luxembourg on the wine list!) and it didn't disappoint, simply beautiful taste.

We both tried the asparagus soup, which was amazing and on a higher level to previous asparagus soup's I have tried.

What we noticed here that most of the other diners were really enjoying their meals too, everyone was polite and smiling and we even engaged in polite conversation with the Dutch couple at the table to the right of us for a very short time.

The female server informed us there was only one lamb left (always a good sign as its clear then they only order a certain amount in to make dishes from fresh). I went for the lamb dish and my wife tried the steak. Both were beautiful dishes, the taste jumped out at you, I haven't tasted lamb that good or cooked that well in a long, long time! My wife commented that her steak was a step above the steaks which she was normally served elsewhere. There were plenty of vegetables and garnish and the sauces on our mains were really tasty.

I can't even remember what we had for dessert, all I can remember is that they were both excellent quality.

From the moment we stepped in, to the moment we left, we felt welcomed here. The servers here are really knowledgeable and most of all, very friendly and know how to do their job very well. The food is top quality, the wine is excellent, the atmosphere is beautiful.

Definitely a place I would return to when I am hopefully next in Haarlem.