“Best High Tea in Haarlem”
Review of Ma Brown's

Ma Brown's
Ranked #186 of 351 Restaurants in Haarlem
Price range: USD 12 - USD 31
Dining options: Reservations
Dining options: Reservations
Reviewed 10 April 2015 via mobile

The freshly baked scones and cakes are delicious. Also the sandwiches and pies. I realy loved the onion pie. The tea is nice but they also have nice wine. Service is wonderfull. And if you can't finish everything they will give you a box with the cakes you haven't eaten.

Reviewed 14 March 2015

We enjoyed the scones which were still warm from the oven. The clotted cream is fresh and delicious. We polished it off with a big pot of Earl Grey. The owner and staff are welcoming and friendly. Pleasant atmosphere in the historic heart of Haarlem, a couple blocks from the main square.

Reviewed 24 November 2014

The owner has retired and the restaurant for evening meals has now closed, but the tea rooms are open check website for details

Reviewed 2 September 2014

My mother and I were traveling together, and we have different tastes. We went to Ma Brown's because my mom requested we eat "something normal." As a culinary genre, I've always found British food to be edible, but rather dull fare, uninspiring and nothing I'd go out of my way at all to find. Ma Brown's changed my attitude in that regard. Decisively. It was one of the best meals I've had anywhere, and anything but boring. The menu is heavy with game and creative preparations, which delighted me. The owner and chef was actually on the floor, taking orders, talking with customers about the food and answering questions (and we had several). He even gave my mother the recipe for his orange cheesecake that she fell in love with, something I have never personally known a chef to do. Both my mother and I, divergent though our tastes usually are, were blown away by our dining experience at Ma Brown's. We were impressed by everything from the dinner (she had the jugged hare and I had venison), to the service, to the decor, and even the beer selection. I can't wait to go back, and would recommend Ma Brown's to anyone traveling through Haarlem.

Reviewed 8 September 2013

Just had dinner at Ma Brown's this evening. It was the first day they were open after being on holiday. The service was outstanding and the food was great. I enjoyed a delicious trout wrapped in bacon (English). The sides included with my main course were very fresh and tasty and more than enough, but that didn't stop me from having one of their homemade desserts - lemon cheesecake!

I highly recommend that you get over to Ma Brown's before the owner retires in December 2013 and closes its doors. It is the only restaurant in Haarlem owned by the same owner since 1983; I think that is a pretty good track record. Cheers and enjoy!!

1  Thank JuliTomse50