“Now closed but tea rooms open”
Review of Ma Brown's - CLOSED

Ma Brown's
Price range: USD 11 - USD 28
Dining options: Reservations
Dining options: Reservations
Reviewed 24 November 2014

The owner has retired and the restaurant for evening meals has now closed, but the tea rooms are open check website for details

Date of visit: November 2014

Reviewed 2 September 2014

My mother and I were traveling together, and we have different tastes. We went to Ma Brown's because my mom requested we eat "something normal." As a culinary genre, I've always found British food to be edible, but rather dull fare, uninspiring and nothing I'd go out of my way at all to find. Ma Brown's changed my attitude in that regard. Decisively. It was one of the best meals I've had anywhere, and anything but boring. The menu is heavy with game and creative preparations, which delighted me. The owner and chef was actually on the floor, taking orders, talking with customers about the food and answering questions (and we had several). He even gave my mother the recipe for his orange cheesecake that she fell in love with, something I have never personally known a chef to do. Both my mother and I, divergent though our tastes usually are, were blown away by our dining experience at Ma Brown's. We were impressed by everything from the dinner (she had the jugged hare and I had venison), to the service, to the decor, and even the beer selection. I can't wait to go back, and would recommend Ma Brown's to anyone traveling through Haarlem.

Date of visit: April 2014
Reviewed 8 September 2013

Just had dinner at Ma Brown's this evening. It was the first day they were open after being on holiday. The service was outstanding and the food was great. I enjoyed a delicious trout wrapped in bacon (English). The sides included with my main course were very fresh and tasty and more than enough, but that didn't stop me from having one of their homemade desserts - lemon cheesecake!

I highly recommend that you get over to Ma Brown's before the owner retires in December 2013 and closes its doors. It is the only restaurant in Haarlem owned by the same owner since 1983; I think that is a pretty good track record. Cheers and enjoy!!

Date of visit: September 2013
1  Thank JuliTomse50
Reviewed 25 September 2012

My wife and I love a good English breakfast, do enjoy pub lunches, fish and chips... and so much more English food. We're now living in Haarlem for 7 years and it was only last Friday that we went to Ma Brown's... and what a wonderful surprise, not in the last place since the owner Michael is an amazing man and knows the history behind all dishes (ask him the story about Sirlion).
The atmosphere is "gezellig" (the fireplace surely makes a difference), the food delicious and they have some fine English beers as well!
So, no need anymore to go to the UK for nice English food, it's just around the corner :)

Date of visit: September 2012
3  Thank Cees77
Reviewed 16 August 2012

If you are ever in Holland & vaguely in the direction of Haarlem, don't waste any time wondering where to have dinner, head straight here.In fact it's worth the trip from the UK just to for this.......but book first.
Owner & chef, Michael, seeks out traditional & unusual recipes to create a British menu, imaginative & using the finest ingredients.Always something to please all tastes including vegetarians.He has an encyclopaedic knowledge of recipes & finds time to chat with diners.
You must leave space for dessert, chosen from a trolley laden with delights, including old favourites such as sherry trifle ~ made just like your favourite Auntie would!
Friendly & warm atmosphere, excellant food & quirky British touches, all in a charming Dutch town, what's not to love?

Date of visit: June 2012