“A very good meat restaurant”
Review of Cafe de Klos

Cafe de Klos
Ranked #146 of 4,514 Restaurants in Amsterdam
Dining options: Lunch, After-hours, Breakfast, Dinner, Reservations
Neighbourhood: Canal Ring (Grachtengordel)
Reviewed 6 April 2018

Cafe de Klos is certainly a place to consider visiting if you like eating meat. We had the obligatory ribs which were nice, and their best steak filet which was prepared exactly as ordered. The meat was good but not exceptional. The onion soup had a nice grilled crust of cheese on top and was served piping hot. It contains bay leaf, which should be discarded before serving in the French version of this soup, so it surprised me a bit to find a whole bay leaf in my mouth...
It seems that the policy of this restaurant is not to seat you right away, but to let you wait, nearly an hour, in the pub across the street. They will come and fetch you from there and even carry your beer pints to the table at the restaurant. It may be that both places are jointly owned. Considering that not all people like sitting in pubs, this may make visiting this restaurant a bit uncomfortable to some. The fact that this is done by plan was evident when there were at least 6 empty chairs in the restaurant while people were waiting at the pub to be seated.

Write a ReviewReviews (1,967)

Reviewed 6 April 2018

I believe I am just echoing what everyone else is saying about this place, the ribs even with the hype, don't disappoint. If you don't believe me or all the other reviews, try for your self.

Reviewed 4 April 2018 via mobile

Very nice place to eat especially if you like ribs. Beer was good and surroundings rustic. Staff were really good. Can’t book a table so hit or miss how long you will have to wait. Not the cheapest tho

Reviewed 3 April 2018

This is the 2nd time I have eaten in Cafe de Klos and it was even better than before. Although the wait can be lon (1.5 hr for a table of 6 on a Thursday night) it is definitely worth the wait. They took us to their bar across the road so a couple of us had a few drinks whilst waiting for our table. The food here is just incredible and the portions are a good size too. There was 6 of us and we all got a baked potato I would recommend to share one potato between 2 people as it is a lot to eat. It's in a great location just off a main street where you can find lots of bars to go to after. The staff here are super friendly and I will definitely return. My friend was in Amsterdam at the same time with her husband and I told her to come here, she did on the night they arrived and again on their last night they enjoyed it so much. The fact it is always so busy clearly shows that the food is worth the wait. Four of us got the ribs which fell of the bone, one had chicken and said it was great and the other had lamb and couldn't stop talking about it. I tried some and it was incredible. I doubt you could have a bad meal here.

Reviewed 3 April 2018

We were a party of 6 and decided we could use a night of ribs -- well this is the place! When we got there it was a two hour wait, but they sent us across the street to their other bar -- and that's where the fun begins. Sit down for some great beer choices and conversation. We wound up meeting people from Miami and New York! (However they only accept Maestro cards so be prepared to have cash on hand). Once our table was ready we all ordered the ribs -- and it was ribs galore! All of the men ordered full ribs, but you can order the lady portion and there's plenty to eat. I loved the coleslaw and of course t's always great to get a baked potato on the side. The restaurant is small and authentic and the staff was great to talk to. They don't take reservations so be prepared to wait, but it's a lot of fun and a lot of food. We loved it! Be warned that there is a 5 percent service charge if you use your credit card -- they do take Visa.