4,374 results
All reviews free mini bar wellness centre shipping house superior deluxe room shipping company restocked daily central station steam room trouser press nespresso machine spa area separate shower city view the red light district unique hotel remote control hotel bar
Reviewed 4 weeks ago

The room (301) was comfortable, with great views across the city looking southwest, WiFi that worked consistently, and Location, Location, Location. Both Concierges provided good recommendations and the convenient Taxi service to the airport worked out perfectly. Be prepared for smaller rooms versus US Standards and European Standards.

Special note: The following need to be recognized for outstanding service not just expected service: Thank you to Maalke on the desk, for our upgraded room with a view and Tom, the bellman, for attending and storing our luggage, recommendations for places to visit, and great retorted sense of humor. Both outstanding and seemed to understand American humor much better than the rest of the staff. Great Job!

Room Tip: Ask for "where would you most likely want your parents to stay in this hotel".
  • Stayed: October 2018, travelled with friends
Amrath A, General Manager at Grand Hotel Amrath Amsterdam, responded to this reviewResponded 4 weeks ago

Dear bw13802,

We greatly appreciate your kind comment on this site, I am delighted to hear that you enjoyed your time with us in room 301!
How nice that you were pleased with the city view and strong WiFi connection as well as the convenient and central location of our hotel. I will make sure to communicate to Rex and Barry the concierges that you were helped by their recommendations and assistance with the taxis, they will be happy to know that you enjoyed their service. The same goes for Maaike and Tom, I will make sure to inform them of your kind comments!
It was a delight having you with us and we hope to be able to welcome you back soon! For your next potential visit, make sure you book with us directly for the best rates and most complete information on the hotel and its surroundings. You can do so either via email reservations@amrathamsterdam.com or via our website.

Reviewed 4 weeks ago

This was one of the worst experiences ever done on a holiday trip. The hotel is beautiful as well as its location, but the staff are incompetent, sluggish and unwilling to assist in any manner. There are many hotels in Amsterdam and as much as this is a beautiful one and well located, I discourage anybody to go there. It is expensive, pretentious and dirty like not even in a remote village in Africa. The toilet sink was dirty with vomit, which nobody came to clean, the soap had been already used and it took two days to be replaced, the check out was horrendous. If you happen to be looking at this hotel, forget it all together and look for another one!

Room Tip: Simple: avoid this hotel all together!
  • Stayed: October 2018, travelled solo
2  Thank Maurizio P

Dear Maurizio P,

Dear Maurizio P,

We appreciate you sharing your valuable input with us. We are sorry that your stay with us has left such a negative impression on you!
I regret to hear that despite the beauty and location of our hotel, your stay with us was marred by the substandard service you received from our staff team. As for your disappointing experience with our housekeeping and the cleanliness of your room both, I will make sure to communicate this to our Housekeeping Manager, our apologies for the inconvenience experienced! I also regret to learn about the slow response and inefficient check out of our Front Desk staff.
Here at the Grand Hotel Amrath Amsterdam we pride ourselves on our good service which have caused many of our guests to return, yet it is apparent that we did not achieve this in your particular situation. It pains me that we did not achieve to provide you with the level of service that we aim to deliver, I deeply apologize for this matter.
I would like to further discuss this important matter with you, if you would be willing. If so, please feel free to contact us at guestrelations@amrathamsterdam.com. We hope to hear from you soon!

Reviewed 4 weeks ago

This hotel is gorgeous. the location is spot on, 5 mins walk from centraal station and close to all public transport links.
We requested a quiet room on a high floor prior to check in , and this was accommodated, but we had no view at all.
The mini bar was complimentary, but there was not spirits at all in it, which i did not realise came in the mini bar until i saw some photos from other travellers. I did think it was a little odd leaving tonic water, and nothing to have with it.
The TV remote was broken and the batteries kept falling out, which appears that house keeping knew about as it was popped against the back when the room was cleaned, but not fixed!!
the shower door was dodgy, and needed a lot of jigging about to close, again an issue easily identified during daily checks, as it needs to be moved to access the shower area.
Our room was stunning, and the beds were like sleeping on a cloud. They are easily the most comfortable bed i have ever had in a hotel.

Overall we found this hotel exceptionally good, staff were very pleasant and helpful. I feel that the tiny details (TV remote, Shower door, spirits in the mini bar) let it down slightly, considering it is 5 star.

We would stay again, but request a room with a view. Our last stay in Amsterdam had a stunning view.
Thank you for a lovely stay.

Stayed: October 2018

Dear GPoplrl,

I am happy to hear that you enjoyed your stay with us here at the Grand Hotel Amrath Amsterdam!
Thank you for your kind comments on the unique style and charm of our monumental building, I am delighted that you were able to appreciate it. How nice that our central location was convenient for your stay.
As for your comment on the room view, I am sorry to hear that. As the rooms who have a view over the canal or city tend to be a bit nosier with sounds from the street, a quiet room is usually towards to courtyard. When a guest requests a quiet room, a trade-off is made between city view and no noise disturbance from the street.
Our complimentary minibar selection carries with it an offering of wine and beer, along with the non-alcoholic beverages. In the suites and executive suites this has additional spirits such as gin.
As for the issues you experienced with the remote control and shower in your room, I regret to hear that! I do wish that you would have alerted the staff of this matter during your stay as we would have been more than happy to assist you with this, perhaps relocate you to another room where you would have been more comfortable.
I am happy that despite the above mentioned issues, you were pleased with the room allocated to you with its comfortable beds.
Thank you for your kind comment on our staff’s service as well!
We look forward to welcome you back soon! For your next potential visit, make sure you book with us directly for the best rates and most complete information on the hotel and its surroundings. You can do so either via email reservations@amrathamsterdam.com or via our website.

Reviewed 11 October 2018

Lovely stay to celebrate my 60th Birthday and we all had a great time. Very close to Central Station about 10 by foot. More then helpful staff. Huge rooms and beautiful large bath. Will be back soon. In walking distance to Dam Square, Red Light District.

• Stayed: October 2018, travelled with family
1  Thank cossy211
Amrath A, General Manager at Grand Hotel Amrath Amsterdam, responded to this reviewResponded 12 October 2018

Dear cossy211,

We thank you kindly for your review on this site!
I am delighted to hear that you chose to stay with us for such a special occasion such as your 60th birthday.
How nice that you were able to enjoy the spacious room with the large bath and that our location close to central station was to your liking.

Maarten van Nigtevegt

Reviewed 1 October 2018

Booked two rooms in this historic hotel building for my husband surprise 60th trip , we were given a room on the ground floor our guests one on the first floor . Both rooms were lovely until you pulled back the curtains and the only view was scaffolding ! The hotel is being renovated and has scaffolding erected to one side . The first night we were awoken by the lady in the room next door who was having a rather loud conversation on hands free at 5.45am until this point I hadn’t realised that we had just one interconnecting door with a good 10cm gap underneath and could hear every word .. I did go to reception and ask them to please ask her to be respectful of other guest , I was a little astounded when the night porter said because the Do Not Distrub sign was on the door he could not knock when you could clearly hear her in the corridor .. we did change rooms that day although smaller was adequate ... the hotel is in a wonderful Art Deco building and within close walking distance to central station . The beds are super comfy and the rooms have everything you need coffee machine , hairdryer, iron and even a free mini bar which is restocked daily . We didn’t have breakfast as it was not included and the buffet is approx €25 , there are plenty of restaurants offering breakfast close by . I spent along time reseaching hotels in Amsterdam , and to me this ticked all the boxes or I thought it did but I was disappointed that although I had pointed out it was for a special birthday and the travel agency had informed them there was no special touches or acknowledgement which is easily done even if they had thought about the room before putting us in one with the scaffolding view .. I was extreamly disappointed after all the hotel research I did by the lack of customer care towards us with the front of house staff . I was embarrassed for booking our special guests in a hotel that had scaffolding with blanked off sheeting covering their canal view room windows which made the room very dark and also meant there are work men working outside so curtains in the morning when you are getting dressed have to be kept closed . I wanted this hotel experience to be special and so much more than it ended up being . You should never feel embarrassed about booking a hotel and I’m afraid this is how the whole experience left me feeling .

Stayed: September 2018, travelled as a couple
4  Thank sonzzell

Dear sonzzell,

We thank you kindly for sharing your valuable input. Although I wish your husbands 60th birthday stay with us would have been better, we appreciate that you took the time to share your insights with us. I regret to hear that our staff team did not achieve to provide special attention to your husbands birthday. We usually make sure that a special surprise and card is waiting for the guest in the room when they book for a particular occasion. I'm sorry that this was not achieved with you. As for the sub par handling of the front desk staff regarding the noise disturbance caused by your neighbor, I will make sure to alert to Front Office Manager about this. Here at the Grand Hotel Amrath Amsterdam we pride ourselves on our good service which have caused many of our guests to return, yet it is apparent that we did not achieve this in your particular situation. For this, we sincerely apologize!
As for the scaffolding outside of the window of your guests' room, we would have been more than happy to reallocate you or arrange an upgrade is necessary. While we are indeed renovating some exterior parts of our monumental building, we understand that special occasions deserve special rooms, provided there is possibility of reallocation of course.
I am happy that despite the above mentioned disappointing circumstances the rest of your stay with us was pleasant. I am pleased that you were comfortable in the room allocated to you with the comfortable beds and complimentary minibar. How nice that you were able to appreciate the historical charm of our monumental building.
We hope that you will consider giving us a second chance to redeem ourselves from this experience and prove that we are able to provide our guests with the 5 star experience that so many have grown fond of throughout the years.
If you do, please book with us directly for the best rates and most complete information on the hotel and its surroundings. You can do so either via email reservations@amrathamsterdam.com or via our website.