“The most interesting place you could ever hope to stay in Amsterdam” 5 of 5 bubbles
Review of Marcel's Creative Exchange

We can't find prices for this accommodation
Marcel's Creative Exchange
Ranked #122 of 329 Amsterdam B&B and Inns
UK
“The most interesting place you could ever hope to stay in Amsterdam”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 2 September 2010

Marcel's Creative Exchange is the most interesting and unique place I have ever stayed for several reasons. It is located off a main thoroughfare close to all the main sights which means that for the very reasonable price of 50 Euros per person per night, you could not hope to find somewhere better value for money. More importantly, Marcel is a most welcoming and generous host with many stories about his life and the building where he lives. He is 75 years old, but has the energy of a man half his age. He will happily give you his wisdom of having lived in Amsterdam for over 45 years and will recommend the best cafes (De Jaaren is a must), restaurants and bars/clubs that only a true local would know. His house is like a living design museum. He is a well recognised artist (1984 Los Angeles Olympics), has his own art works on the walls, but also has furnished each of the rooms with beautiful designer pieces - beds, chairs, lights, side tables etc. He lives above 'De Uitkijk’, the oldest cinema in the Netherlands (1912) which still has regular shows (he may even offer you a back stage tour if he likes you). Marcel is extremely proud of being able to offer quite spectacular rooms to tourists cheaper than any hotel of similar standard and location, but understandably gets irritated when people do not appreciate this or ask him for a discount. He often gets booked up months in advance due to his popularity. I would recommend Marcel's to anyone who is bored of drab and unimaginative hotels, but only to those who realise that to stay here is something quite special indeed.

• Stayed August 2010, travelled with friends
      Sleep Quality
1 Thank Yaseen_UK

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (10)
Raglan, New Zealand
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 6 August 2010

I should have posted this review months ago to share our experience at
Marcel's creative exchange.

My Fiancé and I arrived on the last day of travel before the worldwide halt caused by the
Icelandic volcano eruption in April. As his other guests were unable to get to Amsterdam, Marcel immediately upgraded our room.

We'd read mixed reviews about Marcel's on trip advisor prior to booking. It
seems Marcel polarises people. We decided to chance it. Either way we'd have
a memorable stay, and it was, in a very positive and delightful way.

Unable to travel to our next destination due to the volcanic ash, Marcel offered to let us stay on at a reduced rate. He generously offered the discount without us asking.

The rooms are very light and spacious for Amsterdam. They are carefully and thoughtfully designed and are stylish to a degree that you'll find nowhere else in that price range or above. I am and Architect and furniture maker, and to my eye every detail was a considered event.

Yes, Marcel does like to interact with his guests. But listening to stories
of an interesting life well lived is part of the stay that remains very memorable, in a
good way.

• Stayed April 2010, travelled as a couple
      Sleep Quality
stratford
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 9 January 2010

Staying in Marcel’s B&B was very good. Marcel is a great host! For the moment we arrived we felt more staying at a friend’s house than paying guest. Marcel was always around when needed and available to provide us with any sort of information about the city but never invasive. I truly enjoy his company. Marcel, had the opportunity to watch the NYE fireworks from your roof garden, was a fantastic experience. Thanks a lot
Mario

• Stayed January 2010, travelled with friends
Brussels, Belgium
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 10 October 2009

Marcel's is a very special place at the heart of one of Amsterdam's hustle & bustle neighbourhoods, great for the independant on a short escapade.
Both the building and Marcel are full of history and artistry. It's original and beautifully decorated with attention to detail and featuring some of the finest pieces of XX century design.
The room I stayed in had a very confortable bed, lots of light, a built-in shower, TV, and some great design pieces. The toilet being right outside, did not bother me at all. As didn't the lack of breakfast which I could enjoy in a neighboring terrace watching people go by. Marcel was a lovely host with a wealth of knowledge and great tips and he made my stay a memorable one. Thank you Marcel, I'll be back!

• Stayed July 2009, travelled solo
Phoenix, Arizona
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 16 July 2009

I traveled to Amsterdam to do a graphic design internship for my college here in Arizona. I stayed with Marcel in his home for 3 weeks and lived like a local the whole time. The location was amazing and when I told my Dutch co-workers where I was staying they were all impressed with the location. Marcel himself if a very inspirational person and is very well known throughout the world for many of the pieces that he has done for Dutch TV and the 1984 LA Olympics. His hospitality was amazing, and he even offered to cook for me a few times. The experience was just absolutely inspirational, the house is very modern and very quickly became my home away from home. Marcel will help you with any questions that you have about things in area that are popular with the locals. If you want the REAL Amsterdam experience you should stay here with Marcel. I know that for a fact that when I return to Amsterdam will never stay anywhere else other than at Marcel's. My 3 weeks flew by like nothing and for the nights where I wanted to relax the room was comfortable as can be. I will never forget my experience here, and I will never forget Marcel. Thank You Marcel!

Stayed June 2009, travelled as a couple